iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna vs Stihl....POLL.

Started by ShaunUK, February 17, 2014, 07:20:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShaunUK

Hi folks, dont really wanna open a can of worms here but i read alot on this forum about the good standard of Stihl, of which they are, but seem to come second against Husqvarna - but when i watch the vids on Huskys vs Stihls on youtube - 9 times out of ten Stihl loses to Husky and at the same time the Stihl filters get clogged up. So am i missing something here..?
So what has a Stihl got that the Husky hasnt.
I dont follow Stihl myself due to the amounts of dust collected around the air filter -and im not sure if they've addressed this problem yet.
There are plenty of old saws still cutting well, i have one myself - an old Jonsereds 70E, 35 years old thats proven the test of time. Im not qualified enough to know who makes the best chainsaws but for me the top 5 would be Husqvarna, Sachs Dolmar, Jonsereds, Stihl and Poulan in no particular order.
Im now looking for a small limbing saw, and the one that comes to mind is the Husqvarna 36, or i might have a look at the Stihl 170. :snowball:
Ah, now the pros will come on teach me a lesson..
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Maine logger88

I myself like husky and jonsered it is mostly a dealer preference for me my husky and jred dealers are more pro logger friendly and the two stihl dealers are more homeowner geared. I also grew up running husky so I got used to them and the way they run.
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

thecfarm

I have nothing against what someone uses for a chainsaw. As Maine logger said,dealer support is important. I run a Husky,but that is just because of the dealer. Than that dealership was brought out by a snowmobile,4 wheeler place. Not so happy with the support from that dealer now. I also have a Efco that I won from the FF. A very nice small saw,I use for limbing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

I've got half and half Stihl  and Husky. I would rather work on a husky but think Stihls last a little longer. Its a draw guys the old Ford Chevy debate.  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

old guy

The Husky 36-36cc the Husky 41-41cc and the Poulan 2900 46cc are all the same basic saw,I've had my 41 for 21 years now and it's still going strong,but my poulan is a really strong saw.
   I have owned a Stihl 170 also and it is a fine little saw, any of these should do you well.

John

goose63

I have a Jred 2171  turbo 14 years old still runs like new
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

deerslayer

It's more a personal preference than anything else. Regarding the Stihl air filters clogging up, having run a number of different brands over the years and the majority of them Stihl, I'm not sure I see this as a big issue. I carry a large soft paintbrush in my saw tool kit. I use it to brush the area around the filler caps when I refill. Also give the air filter a swipe if necessary. Takes maybe 15 seconds to clean both caps and the air filter and filter housing. Not an issue for me.
Stihls and Husqvarna saws operate a bit differently and that difference will either be liked or disliked by different people. Dealer support isn't that much of an issue for me because I have never in my life taken a saw to a dealer to be worked on. Parts can be gotten readily for nearly any brand (except I've had some real struggles with Jonsered) So I guess just pick a brand you like and a saw you like and get cutting. I bought two project Poulans yesterday. Haven't even looked them over yet. One is a 2000 which I will probably make into a runner and the other is a 3400 which will probably be a parts saw. I don't hate any brand, just have my druthers.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

BFay2172

Im a husky and jonsered guy myself. Had a ms310 still for awhile and it was a great cutting saw just real heavy for its size in my opinion. I sold it for more then I paid for it which wasnt much and with only 6 tanks through it the guy still got a great deal!

Jiles

I think the most underrated chainsaw is the Makita/Dolmar. For me, they are my preference and I have Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna also.
What hurts Makita/Dolmar is the lack of dealers, but I can get any part I need, online, from many suppliers and prices are cheaper then Dealers.
As far as a small saw, my favorite is my Makita DCS 401. Fantastic saw that is built with needle crank bearings and , for me, it is perfectly balanced for my intended use.
Also, I much prefer the removable Head/Cylinder construction over the "clamshell" design in any saw.
Satisfy needs before desires

jdhacker

You kinda do want to open a can, your wording. I have a tip, if you type husky vs Stihl, most likely you will see a mod husky vs a Stihl. I cut 150 loads of firewood last year until now. And I can tell you there is nothing any better then Stihl. Is there other good saws you bet. But it's always people trying to show you their saw is as good as your Stihl. That should tell you something, and as the number 1 sold saw in the world says something to.
stihl 044
STIHL ms 291
Homelite XL12 for 31 years
140 husqvarna

Autocar

Ive ran Stihls for years but three or four years ago went to huskys, I some times think there both junk ! I just bought another 395 XP and all ready when I start it you have to keep pumping the trigger to keep it running. The last one I bought was a year and a half ago Ive already put two new pistons and jugs on her. This past month I started mixing more oil with my gas I use to mix 50/1 not sure but was thinkiing with the ethonel it was running to lean.
Bill

mad murdock

In your poll, you should know that Husky, Jonsered, Poulan are all the same company, tho they sell to different markets, and there is a lot of overlap in the brands.  They also own RedMax and McCulloch now.
FWIW. I think Dolkita and Echo are way under rated and often overlooked, Stihl is way oversold, IMO.  They are not worth their price of admission, IMO, when compared to other options.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ShaunUK

Quote from: jdhacker on February 17, 2014, 01:16:03 PM
You kinda do want to open a can, your wording. I have a tip, if you type husky vs Stihl, most likely you will see a mod husky vs a Stihl. I cut 150 loads of firewood last year until now. And I can tell you there is nothing any better then Stihl. Is there other good saws you bet. But it's always people trying to show you their saw is as good as your Stihl. That should tell you something, and as the number 1 sold saw in the world says something to.
:) ya got me
Jonsereds 70E-Husqvarna 51-Husqvarna 50 Rancher

sablatnic

It is like comparing whiskey and whisky! You can tell that they are different, maybe which one you like the best, but not which one is the best.

weimedog

Quote from: ShaunUK on February 17, 2014, 02:34:47 PM
Quote from: jdhacker on February 17, 2014, 01:16:03 PM
:) ya got me

Maybe got you but didn't get anyone else...:)  I'm trying to remember when myself or the other Husqvarna/Jonsered guys ever even had "Stihl" in their conversations....unless someone else brings it up...or it was a miss spelling "still" (the whisky kind)  ;D Seems it's the Stihl guys always trying to edge into the "what saw should I buy" threads after everyone else has agreed on a 555,562,365,372....550 or what ever.

I think the right question is what can you buy from Stihl at the price point of a 365 that can match capability? Ever have a conversation where Stihl's are called the best "bang per buck" pro level saw? Usually the Stihl saws in the 543, 555, 365 price range have discussions rationalizing their clam shell homeowner saw roots... 8)

(edited by Amin)    Politics and political statements do not belong on the chainsaw board!

That should get a little action started for you.... :snowball:

(Having said all that, Stihl; makes a good saw and great Pro level Saws)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ladylake

Stihl pro saws are just fine, the lower models don't have as much quality as a lot of other saws, all are over priced for what they are.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rvolek

Like stated before........its all in what you like. I run Husky and never ran a Stihl before so I cant say.
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

missouriboy

I run 372 and a 2166 and looked at a stihl 441 but it felt to heavy for what it was. But most of the other loggers run stihl and love them. But for me its either Husqvarna or Jonsered.

JohnG28

Weimedog,  I think you have a point with the 365. Stihl doesn't have anything to compare in the size along with construction for the buck. That said, I do like my Stihls.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

It's a Ford Chevy thing.Generally speaking no matter who made it most saws of equal displacement cut about the same all things considered .

How long they last might have something to do with how they are ran and what care  they have received .It might have something to do with the oil mix ratio too for that matter .Then again that might open up the ever popular oil wars again . ;D

treechopper40

im a 3rd generation logger and over the years ive ran homelite,poulan,echo,husky,stihl,jonsered,pioneer,solo,shindawa,sachs-dolmar and a few others and now I run dolmar and husky but its all in what you like the dolmars start and run great that's what I like about them and better priced than a husky or stihl and ther built very well
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Dave VH

I have several stihls, and love them.  However it is all based on me going to the same dealer right around the corner from me.  I am yet to own another brand, (unless you count my electric chain saw).  A good dealer is a big deal to me.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

SawTroll

Be aware that the current Jonsered saws all are just variants of some Husky model, so they really should count as the same thing (Jonsered is owned by Husky, as is Poulan and some other brands).
Information collector.

weimedog

Quote from: SawTroll on February 18, 2014, 05:27:03 PM
Be aware that the current Jonsered saws all are just variants of some Husky model, so they really should count as the same thing (Jonsered is owned by Husky, as is Poulan and some other brands).

I'm glad you said that....wonder what the chart looks like with those two added together. I picked Jonsered and view them as better looking Husqvarna's
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Thank You Sponsors!