iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dablack...

Started by outerbanxer, February 17, 2014, 12:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

outerbanxer

Whatever happened with his project? Hopin he is busy framing up a house by now 8)

Looked on Facebook and searched him out on the forum and he's been pretty much non-existent online, which probably means he's busy...

beenthere

Maybe ask the question in the thread that was running at the time.  ;)

Likely he and family are very busy with a multitude of things to do and family to keep up with.

Were you thinking of heading that way to help the build?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bill Gaiche

Not sure as to what he is doing at the moment. Andy White visited him a few weeks back. You could send him a PM and ask. I am sure he will answer. bg

dablack

HA!  Gotta say it is weird to hop on the site and see your name up there!  I thought I was in trouble!  Sort of like being called to the principle's office but instead of getting in trouble, you get a reward. 

The lumber is drying and we are just waiting on the tax return so we can purchase floor trusses, house wrap, pressure treated base plates and OSB.  I've already bought or borrowed most of the tools I'm going to need.  I've been busy designing everything out while I wait.  I keep forgetting to put a window unit in the back wall of the first floor!  I gotta figure out which one I'm going to get and make sure and frame it in!  I'm thinking we will most likely start framing mid-march if things go well.  That burned up camper is still sitting by the slab so I will be spending most of the time cutting it up.  The plastics will be thrown away, the copper, aluminum, and steel will be taken for scrap.  I'm saving the frame and drivetrain for a future project.  Once all that weight is off of it, I'm hoping I can move it with my little tractor. 

The last house I built, I put up the walls in 10' sections.  They were 10' tall and had OSB on the top half.  I did this because I was lifting the walls by myself.  This time I'm thinking I'm going to build the walls whole, cut out the osb for the windows and even have the house wrap on them.  They will be 8' tall.  I'm thinking 1 guy every 8' should lift it.  That is 7 guys for a 52' wall.  We will see.  I will have my tractor handy too.  I figure I can frame up the two 52' long walls and then have a lifting party.  Lift the walls and set the floor trusses all at once.  With seven guys I will be quick.  Then do it again a week later when I have the 2nd floor walls built. 

thoughts?

Building my own house in East TX

47sawdust

You might see if anyone has a pair of Proctor Wall Jacks.We use them all the time for safely lifting sheathed walls.They work very well.If I lived closer I would lend you mine.
Good luck,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

outerbanxer

Good to hear!

Wish I could get away and help with the wall raising, but the tax man has me slaving away everyday myself.

Den-Den

I want to be part of the help.  Your plan sounds like a good one, very easy to keep the wall square by yourself while it is horizontal and the sheathing would keep it that way.  Standing up two long walls and setting floor trusses should go very fast with that much help.  Will need a fairly calm day though; 52' X 8' would make a large kite.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Andy White

Austin,
Keep me updated on the start day for the framing. I will be there for the raising for sure. I might get Nancy to lend her vast knowledge and muscle to the effort as well. We will need a few hands to raise the long walls for sure. Get all the design done and approved by the "boss", because I know what it is to move a wall several times! Looking forward to this.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

The "Rent-All" might have Proctor Wall Jacks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dablack

Lynn,

I have one wall jack.  I might add another.  They will for sure be needed for the upstairs walls.  I think it will be tough to get the tractor up the stairs.  I checked the rent-all place and no-go. 

Andy,

I will for sure let you know what we are doing and when.  On the first house, after all the walls were built for 30:60 tubs, my father in law bought us some scratch and dent garden tubs.  These were NICE tubs BUT they didn't fit at all and since they were garden tubs we needed to add a shower in the master bath.  All the upstairs walls had to come down.  There was no way we could tell him "no thanks". 

Dennis,

I HATE working on ladders.  Even hanging all the house wrap last time bothered me.  I swore if I ever did this again, I would do as much with the wall on the ground as possible.  Well, here is our chance. 

Outerbanxer and 47sawdust,

Thanks for the encouragement!  I'm going nuts waiting on the checking acount to fill up enough to get the place dried in all at once.  Pray for no car breakdowns or a surprise ER visit (with four kids....it happens). 

thanks
Austin

Magicman

I like your ideas and plans. 

Pat and I have a trip planned for late July/early August and are looking forward to a quick stop by.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dablack

GREAT!  I know Stacey and the kids will be very excited to hear that.  We will be all dried in and working on the plumbing or electric at that point.

Austin

Thank You Sponsors!