iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

on the verge

Started by CX3, February 16, 2014, 09:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

Some of you know that I've been contemplating putting in a circle mill. It's time to do something and I need advice.

I can put a hydraulic band mill on the job or put a stationary circle mill on some leased land in town. What are your opinions to saw ties and oak flooring lumber?  Ive got a meeting with the banker on Tuesday and can't figure which way I need to turn.

I would really like to talk with someone who has experience owning and running a circle tie mill. As always thanks for the replies. And if you had time I'd like to call ya for a few minutes if that's a possibility. Pm me thanks.

Paul
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

dboyt

CX3, looks like we're neighbors!  What size trees?  Will you be buying the lumber?  How big is your business now, and how big do you want it to be?  If you want to be a one or two person operation, I'd recommend a band mill with hydraulics.  Circle mill is generally higher production, but requires more labor.  If you have a three-man crew, a good supply of logs and are serious about ties, a circle mill would be a good way to go.

You will get about 12% better yield from a band saw mill, if cutting much 4/4 lumber, due to narrower kerf, and I've found the band mill to be more versitile.  You'll also need to look at support equipment.  Do you have a way to lift a bundle of 10 ties at a time?  Truck and trailer?  I cut ties with a band mill a few years back and did all right with it, but never really got set up for production.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

NMFP

Why not install the circle mill and then also use a resaw as well?  Run toyr tie logs through the circle mill with the leaste amount of saw lines possible and then when you have logs that look like they will net more floor grade or panel grade lumber, only slab those logs on 4 sides and then run them through the resaw.  If you can manage to fabricate or locate a carousel type of conveying syetem, you can run multiple passes on the same cant and just keep turning the cant until you have all the grade lumber you want.

I am planning on installing one as well but then will also have a drop sort that all the cants will go into of various sizes.  when there is a complete pack of them, i will run them through the resaw and either tue them up for pallet cants or resaw them more for pallet slats and crate slats.

You can have the best of both worlds here with sim ingenuity.  Also, down the road, if you want, you can remove the husk and circle blade and install a band head rig.  There are some Amish companies building them that are 3-5 ft for about 12-15k and they can utilize 4-7" bands, depending on your needs.

In my opinion, you will have much more flexability with a circle mill that you will have with a band mill, not to mention speed of production.

Gadrock

I do not use any more leased land that would require lots of work to depart from. Point is that a circle mill will require a considerable amount of expense to set up a permanent location or you will be adjusting it constantly. A bandmill is pretty much self contained. When you want to depart...just hook up and go. To disassemble a circle mill could take weeks.

Just my point of view.

David G

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

NMFP

As Gadrock said, looking at set up and tear down is a major factor as well as leased land.  What happens at the end of a lease when the person you are leasing from does not want to renew it? 

Check out meadows mills as they offer portable circular mills.  I never sawed on one but I know a guy that has one.  He moves it about 2 times a year on average and he tends to be able to move it and set up within a few hours each time. 

Check out sawmill exchange because often times, there are portable mills on there for sale that are circular. 

I wish i would have had the wisdom 15 years ago to think this way as I probably would not have purchased a band mill first.  My building days would be much different than today for sure had I gone a different method first.  Think long term but also think about how you are going to make money as well.  People are getting harder to come by that want to work and sweat 8-12 hours a day as labor.

dgdrls

Quote from: CX3 on February 16, 2014, 09:56:25 PM
Some of you know that I've been contemplating putting in a circle mill. It's time to do something and I need advice.

I can put a hydraulic band mill on the job or put a stationary circle mill on some leased land in town. What are your opinions to saw ties and oak flooring lumber?  Ive got a meeting with the banker on Tuesday and can't figure which way I need to turn.

I would really like to talk with someone who has experience owning and running a circle tie mill. As always thanks for the replies. And if you had time I'd like to call ya for a few minutes if that's a possibility. Pm me thanks.

Paul

You mention two products, one saws well with a circle the other with a band.
If you already have a band, add a circle,  best of both worlds now.
There are circle builders who make "portable" machines with enough mass and power to saw ties efficiently
and still be moved in a day.

Let us know what the bank said,

DGDrls

CX3

Appreciated all. The bank says my plan looks pretty good. Now on to financials and etc. I guess I just want someone to tell me I'm crazy. But so far its looking good.

We log around a million feet each yr. Maybe just under on average. Mostly tie logs but now and then we get into some gravy.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

dgdrls

Good luck to you, glad your visit went well. 

Interested to see where you go with this.

DGDrls

mikeb1079

i have no experience with a circular sawmill but i can't see a bandsaw mill being a better choice for ties.  i really like the idea of setting up a circle saw as your main breakdown saw and using a resaw for the grade lumber off the sides.  also it seems like you can get alot of circle mill for not too much money just based on what i've seen poking around on sawmill trader and sawmill exchange.
mb
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

RayMO

A circle mill is the way to go if you want production sawing ties . And a portable circle mill would be great for those larger tracs of timber if the owners will let you set on site . Saves a lot of log handling/hauling .
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

dboyt

Quote from: CX3 on February 19, 2014, 01:03:05 PM
I guess I just want someone to tell me I'm crazy. But so far its looking good.

So you're looking to FF members for a sanity check?  Sorry, but on this forum, the patients are running the asylum!  :D

Besides, we're good at helping other people spend their money.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Thank You Sponsors!