iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twin Felling Dogs on a Stihl 028 Super

Started by Lorenzo, February 16, 2014, 09:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

Just wondering if I can put another Felling dog on my Stihl 028,
There are holes in the side guard for them but It never had it that I can remember.

Any Thoughts?

AdkStihl

Sure you can! Real simple to do.
But putting double spikes on an 028 is like putting 33's on a Chevette.
Looks cool.....but that's about it.

Totally my opinion, but I'm sure others will agree.
J.Miller Photography

Lorenzo

:D :D  So I guess Stihl never put them on. Wonder why it has the holes for them.

treechopper40

I run dual bump spikes on all my saws just cause its easier to file them it keeps them flat and they don't tend to tip to one side when your filing as far as the cover having the holes for it im sure that cover also fits other bigger model saws I took a clutch cover off a 036 pro and put it on my 066 magnum for example id put it on ther it cant hurt it
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

clww

For filing the chain, having both could be an advantage, as treechopper40 stated. I only run dual dogs on my largest saws-the 084 and 090.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Lorenzo

Ok thanks,  So if I want to buy one more and have it match the one it already has from the factory, does anyone have a part Number?

Dave Shepard

I run two dogs on any saw that will take them, my 020T being the only one so far that doesn't.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stihltoomany

I like the second dog on smaller saws. no matter how you are cutting a branch it will bite if you need it to. Expensive from stihl though. $16 for the ms361 if I remember right.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

beenthere

I don't see any way or place to mount a second dog on my MS361.  Not without some serious changes.

Have the inboard dog, and find no need for a second. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

It probably just bolts on with the bar nuts. I have 066 dogs on my 036, I'll have to see how they are attached.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

John
Not without a new cover.... I don't believe. Maybe that comes with the full wrap bar. ??

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnG28

The different side cover came as a package yes, dual dogs, larger clutch cover, roller chain catcher,  and 3/4 wrap handle. This was my biggest and go to saw when I got it and wanted the wrap handle for felling, which it is nice for. The original clutch cover from mine does have holes to mount it if wanted,  but I don't see them on yours in the picture.  ??? The inner dog on this one was a replacement also, larger than the factory one.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

My 361 has a clutch cover with the holes, but only has one dog installed, from the dealership. It has the standard handle, also.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

That's how mine came also. Everything else was added on, came as a kit.

lumberjack48

When i got a saw the dogs were the first thing to go
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

clww

I use the heck out of mine on the bigger trees each day, LJ. They catch on brush and vines sometimes, but so does the chain.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

Maine logger88

I also take the doggs off just a personal preference I guess, I like to be able to slide my saw around the tree when I have doggs on the saw I have to keep pulling the saw back out and reset. I put a flat plate on instead like this one

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

lumberjack48

ML88 i did the same thing if i could find one, that is put the bumper dogs on. When bucking up on the landing i've had guys wreck a saw and just about get hurt trying to save the saw. Because a big tree rolling down, with the dogs stuck in and the tree rolls and the back handle hits the pile, something has to break.

My father told me to take the dogs off 50 yrs ago, because of them hanging up when bucking up.
When bucking or felling i wanted to be able to slide my saw around where i want it fast and easy with out it getting hung up.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

clww

Makes sense to me. Years ago, I used to take them off, but have been using them installed for the last several years.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
18-Wheeler Driver

stihltoomany

My ms361 came with holes in the clutch cover to bolt on dawg. I like the dawgs more as I age. I like them when cutting a branch and the clutch cover hits before the dawg does. just a personal thing. We don't get to cut the kind of trees alot you do, too much corn.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

sawn4fun

I like the "cool factor" of the double dawgs but, as has been stated, they can do damage. If they're still stuck in the wood when the cut separates, plastic (or even metal) lose the "tug of war". The most common scenario being the bar getting pinched (even briefly) as the cut is completed and not being able to pull the saw back quick enough. Usually, it's the clutch cover that loses but it hurts a lot more when the crankcase loses.

Thank You Sponsors!