iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

unloading logs

Started by reswire, February 16, 2014, 07:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

Does anyone have a method of unloading logs from a trailer, without a boom?  I have a 5205 john deere with about 10 foot of reach, but no other equipment to use to unload with.  I have a neighbor who works with a logging company, but his trailer has no boom.  The only other logger I know uses most of his logs for his mill or a firewood business he runs.  I would like to be able to unload logs at my farm, but can't afford to buy an expensive piece of equipment.  Are there any attachments or methods of unloading that are safe and effective, and won't break the bank?  If you know of anything, or have a method I could use, please let me know.  I run out of logs before I run out of orders for lumber it seems.  Thanks, Joe

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

treeslayer2003

hello neighbor, could you pull um off the back of the trailer?

Birchwood Logging

Dig a loading hole wide enough for the truck to pull in to dig it deep enough to compensate for the lack of hight you need for your tractor I use them all the time for loading will work the same for unloading to cheapest way I know
John Deere 700H with winch, John Deere 550A with winch, Cat 232 Skid Steer,Cat 262c Skid Steer, Wood Mizer Lt 40 super HD, Ford F-700 and F-600 log trucks, Ford F-450 dump truck

reswire

Pulling them off the back is really not an option.  If they are up high, or if they are "binding" against each other, it's just impossible to unload them safely.   I think I will try the "digging" out method suggested, it will just have to be a long trench to fit the truck and trailer.  Thanks for both suggestions.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

treeslayer2003

I have done it with a skidder, I guess you'd need a pretty big tractor to do it.
good to have another mid atlantic guy around.

beenthere

QuoteDoes anyone have a method of unloading logs from a trailer, without a boom?  I have a 5205 john deere with about 10 foot of reach,

So you have a loader with a bucket? or also forks? And the reach is height?  at what distance forward of the front of the 5205 is your reach? 

How much higher above the 10' reach are the logs stacked on the trailer?

How about a pic of a trailer of logs you are seeing, and one of the tractor ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ed_K

I have a valby 35" grapple hanging off the front of the bucket of my tractor, works good.
Ed K

SLawyer Dave

I've had several occasions where the person giving me logs did not want me to cut them on their property, so they loaded the logs on my trailer with their equipment.  To unload, I back up the trailer where I want the log, and then hook a chain to the log(s) and to a tree, then pull forward.  It's not fancy, but gets the job done.  I eventually plan on putting a winch in the front of my trailer and a removable overhead bar, so that with a snatch block attached to the overhead bar, I can pull logs up into my trailer.  None of this is fast, but it is workable and generally safe so long as you keep yourself clear and out of the way.

Biggest danger when using winches is if the cable snaps under tension.  So make sure you use the remote control (that's why it has one), and are well out of the "line of fire".

gologit

Quote from: reswire on February 16, 2014, 07:24:02 PM
Does anyone have a method of unloading logs from a trailer, without a boom?    Thanks, Joe

Can you parbuckle them off? A lot of guys load that way.  It works for unloading too.
Semi-retired...life is good.

reswire

I should have explained my situation a little better.  Most of the logs I like to mill are green and 24" or so in diameter, over 12 foot long.  They are usually green, meaning pretty heavy for my loader.  Not sure of my maximum loader lift capacity, I just know that heavy logs cause the tractor to feel unstable, when lifted above 4 feet.  When I pick up logs at 18 to 24 inches from the ground, the center of gravity does not make the tractor "pitch", but of course when the loader arms are up high, the danger of "roll over" greatly increases.  I've thought of building a "strong arm", or tower over my unloading area, just not sure of how to winch the logs up from the trailer safely,  without a lot of hassle.  Building a trench for the truck may also work, and probably makes more sense, however I'll need to find a way to keep rain water from making the thing into a pond in the winter. 
I need to figure it all out soon, I'd like to build a new sawhouse for my mill, one that makes the whole process a little easier than what's going on now.
I usually load logs on my trailer when picking up a few at a time, but it would be nice to pay someone to simply bring them to me, pay for the load, and mill the darn things.  I've got a serious back problem, and cutting and loading logs requires me to pay for help.  Milling is something I can do at my leisure, or when I have friends around who enjoy helping and watching the mill work. 

beenthere

Hear ya better now.
I'd suggest hiring a trucker to bring logs that has the means to load and unload them at your mill.

If just a few logs you put on your trailer yourself or they are not stacked more than 2 or 3 high, sounds like your loader will handle them.

What is your loader tractor?  Maybe you don't want to answer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave VH

Quote from: treeslayer2003 on February 16, 2014, 07:42:45 PM
hello neighbor, could you pull um off the back of the trailer?

I used to do that all of the time till I got a new fel tractor
I cut it twice and it's still too short

reswire

Beenthere, it is a 5205 John Deere, with a JD loader, too late to check which now ;D  There isn't anyone I know of, who has a truck with a boom arm nearby, or maybe I just haven't found one yet.  I did know one young guy, but he cuts all the wood he saws for firewood.  Most of his logs were too small in diameter, or of poor quality.  I think he sells most of his good logs to a big mill not far from me, and I don't blame him for looking out for his main contracts.  One day I'll figure it out.  Hope to find someone soon, my back won't get any better.   >:(

Thanks

Thank You Sponsors!