iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Aging your firewood

Started by reswire, February 16, 2014, 07:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

Curious how long you let your firewood age.  I ran out of dry wood this year, and boy am I paying the price.... literally.  I had to buy some dry wood to mix with my green stuff, but I am determined to not let that happen again.  I plan on cutting enough to keep me one year ahead.  I was just wondering if anyone has a process to help wood cure faster?  I usually cut red or white oak for firewood, and keep some dry pine for when I'm starting a new fire, or have let the fire burn out altogether.  This year, I've burned more than usual,(I suppose a lot of us have), and I hope to cut enough to have some aged wood around all next season.  I thought about splitting some and setting it in a makeshift "solar kiln", but I don't know if it will help enough to be worst the hassle.  What do you think?
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

clww

I'm burning red and white oak that we harvested this past summer here in VB. Normally, I prefer it to have seasoned about 12 months.
Where are you in Tidewater?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

reswire

Caret, or Supply,,, my farm is a stones throw from Fort A.P. Hill.  I'm in the northern edge of Essex, County.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

clww

Good Grief! That's practically Northern Virginia. :D :D :D
Tidewater ends in James City County.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

reswire

Geez,, I wish it was Northern Va.  My farm would be worth a lot more than it is now!!  :D :D  We normally call this part of Virginia "God's Country", but I didn't want to make all you other Virginians jealous.   8) 8)
I have a sister who lives down by Norfolk, she loves it there too.  I guess God would claim all of Virginia as his home.

beenthere

QuoteCurious how long you let your firewood age

At least two years for oak, and one year for ash. Noticeable difference in less heat from oak if less than two years. Don't like expending wood BTU's just two evaporate out the water as steam.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SLawyer Dave

A lot of it depends on your location.  Here, the summers are bone dry, very low humidity, and average over 100 degrees for more than 4 months.  I stack all of the wood in full sun along my fence lines, and it virtually bakes all summer long.  So long as you split the large rounds down to usable sized pieces, six months is plenty of time over the summer.  If you leave it in large rounds, then 12 months is better.  I have found this to be true with every species of wood in this area. 

Roger2561

I live in the north east and due to the humidity in the summer and wet in the fall and spring and snow fall in the winter, I let have to let mine dry for at least 2 years.  I have enough wood drying for the next 2 heating seasons.  This fall I'll be ordering another grapple load of logs (generally are 12 cord loads; 4X4X8) cut to length, split to desired size and stacked on the homemade pallets.  Each pallet is a half cord (4X4X4) and once it is full it's left to dry for 2 seasons.  Roger
Roger

Redbark

Two years at least. More heat and much safer.

John Mc

Here in Vermont, I can get just about every species I burn to dry down to less than 20% moisture content in about 6 months, if I cut and split in the spring, stack in single rows in full sun and exposed to the wind. The exception to this is Oak, which always takes me longer to get dried out - I like to have that sit through at least two summers.

If I store under less ideal conditions, it takes longer.  Stacking in close-together rows in my woodshed (even though it's open on three sides), or leaving it stacked in the woods (higher relative humidity, less sun and wind) means I probably can't get away with cutting in the spring and burning in the fall.

There are a couple of good (and lengthy) threads on here about drying firewood. Try a search and see what you come up with. Just remember that your timing may vary depending on your local climate. You've got a longer "prime drying season" than I, but I don't know how your humidity compares.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!