iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gas in my new mill

Started by Willywood752, February 16, 2014, 06:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willywood752

Hey everyone I'm a new guy here. I just bought a new LT 10 with a 10 hp briggs. I am looking for input on what everyone is running for fuel. There is a good chance it might be sitting for awhile and I really don't want to leave this crap ethanol gas in it. Is there a treatment that works good or should I just use non ethanol gas? Thanks

beenthere

If any doubt in your mind, dump it all out and put fresh in. Then you know what you have to start out with.
Much easier to trouble shoot later, if necessary. Don't even try to start the engine and risk getting the carb etc. mucked up during the gitgo.
And if me, it would be ethanol-free if at all possible. Ethanol is a joke and a sham... IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

If you cannot get non-ethanol gas, go to your local airport and buy 100LL AvGas, they will sell it to you and pump it in your gas can. It will keep for a very long time and won't foul up your fuel system. There are stabilizers that work, but for long term storage, as beenthere said, draining and purging is a for sure method, AvGas is a viable, tho not as cheap as auto gas, alternative.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

MartyParsons

Hello,
I have seen one of these engines have issues with bad gas from sitting. You can purchase non ethanol gas in quarts. I would only use this for storage. I would think you would not need to run this all the time. It will run fine on 10% ethanol. Storage of the fuel in the engine tank or the gas can, rotate your fuel, use it before 90 days. There will be lots of opinions so take what works best for you. If you leave the engine with out removing ethanol fuel, you will have issues, with any four stroke engine.
I know we are not taking about 2 stroke but I should talk about this also. Run super or non ethanol fuel, use a brand name two stroke oil it already has a stabilizer in the oil so more is not better.
Gas cans must be sealed, if not the ethanol will absorb the water in the air and cause issues.
I could go on but there is more info out there. There are many companies selling fuel treatment all claim to be the best.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Ianab

I'd suggest you get into the habit of draining the tank, then starting the engine and running the carb dry before you put the mill away for any length of time. You can then just pour the (still good) gas into your car or whatever, so there is no waste or extra cost.

A few weeks, or even months is probably fine, but longer than that all sorts of funky things start to happen with water (condensation) and ethanol in the tank.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Willywood752

Thanks guys I have pretty good luck with my generator and snowmobile starting after not running for long periods of time with what I'm doing. I was just wondering if there was something new and improved that I hadn't heard of. I never though of av gas though. Great idea!!!! I cant wait to start cutting. March 6th can't come fast enough.

NMFP

I run ethanol shield in everything.  you can go to www.b3cfuel.com for more information or maybe some of the sponsors on the left might have it.

Something interesting about it.  Do you know the ink on the bottom of a soda can that they say will never ever come off?  Well, this stuff takes it right off.  If you take a soda can and turn it upside down and then add a few drops of ethanol shield to it, you will see the ink come off but don't stop there.  Add drops of water to the can and set it on fire with a lighter.  Normally water around the fuel will make it pop but ethanol shield does not do that, it binds to the water so you are burning the ethanol shield and driving off the water at the same time.  What its doing on the soda can is the same as its doing in the fuel tank and carburetor.  If I had a video camera, I would take a video of it for you to watch.  Works very well and  its , in my opinion, the best stuff out there. 

There are a lot of products out there that are for ethanol but most of them are no more than dyed kerosene in a bottle for 7$ each.

I have run fuel treated with ethanol shield that was 2-3 years old and had ethanol in it.  Runs great in everything I have.

dgdrls

Welcome,

You will enjoy making sawdust for sure,

I run non-ethanol with Stabil during the cutting season,
Sometimes I run SEF fuel from VP racing fuel.

I'm currently stored with a full tank Non ethanol with stabilizer.
I have stored both ways in the past, Dry and Wet with equally good success.

I started with an LT-10,  if you haven't already, purchase a second log clamp.
Very helpful and worth the expense.

Best
DGDrls

Bibbyman

Our local station had 94 octane non-ethanol gas.  That's all I'll run in small engines after having a lot of small engine problems.    Some pumps are marked "no ethanol" and some you have to ask. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Willywood752,welcome to the forum. What's the plan for the lumber?
I buy the highest grade I can buy. I use that in all my small engines,chainsaws.trimmer,mowers,tiller,wood splitter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Larry

I bought an emergency generator in 01.  Had carb troubles three times due to ethanol.  In the last four years I have treated the gas with StaBil Marine Formula and started the generator the first of every month.  Zero problems. 

I also use the Stabil in two boat motors and haven't had any trouble with them. 

Ethanol is all we have available locally, so there is not a lot of choices.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Willywood752.

I run nothing but non-ethanol in all of my small engines, period.  ATV's, chainsaws, lawnmowers, generators, etc.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

outerbanxer

Sta-bil Marine as a fuel treatment, and run the carb dry if you can't get non-ethanol fuel.

outerbanxer

Also, you can always take apart the carb and clean all the needle jets and passages if it does get clogged, not hard to do, and the Kiohler has a pretty standard carb. There is even a youtube video for it.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on February 16, 2014, 09:56:09 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Willywood752.

I run nothing but non-ethanol in all of my small engines, period.  ATV's, chainsaws, lawnmowers, generators, etc.
Quote from: Bibbyman on February 16, 2014, 08:33:12 PM
Our local station had 94 octane non-ethanol gas.  That's all I'll run in  small engines after having a lot of small engine problems.    Some pumps are marked "no ethanol" and some you have to ask.
I agree with these gentlemen
and run non ethanol in "ALL" small engines,
The year they introduced "Ethinol" to Oregon, they changed over to 100% Ethinol. I had trouble with several small engines give me trouble, two died!!! The following year they made the sale of non ethinol avalible for "Off road use". I keep a couple jugs marked off road, if it sits more then a month or two I dump it in the truck and get fresh.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sawguy21

Welcome to the forum, grab a coffee and pull up a stump. I deal with this issue daily as a Briggs and Stratton service rep. A stabilizer such as Sta-bil and high octane gas are the best insurance, draining old gas is good but there will be a small amount left unless the fuel system is completely disassembled and flushed which is not very practical. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

If you can buy non-ethanol gas use it. Long term storage drain everything, run dry. Short term storage treat fuel with marine stable (blue) and shut tank valve off and let the engine run dry. Treated fuel in the tank is less problem than if left in carb. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Willywood752

WOW!! Guys thanks for all the input, its much appreciated. What a great forum and helpful tool this is going to be. I hope everyone has a great day and again thanks!!

Willywood752

Hey thecfarm,
I plan on building a camp on some property we own down in the southern tier of NY. I figured for what it was going to cost us in lumber I would buy a mill and do it myself. Maybe make some cash on the side but no big production though. Its something I have wanted for awhile, just cant wait to pick it up and put it to work.

thecfarm

That was the plan for my mill too. But I just wanted a few out buildings. The plan is working.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Sixacresand

On my LT10, I always shut off the fuel line valve and let the engine burn out the gas in the carb. I use non ethanol gas most of the time and have had pretty good luck without fuel stabilizers.  The ethanol gas has eat up the tank and fuel system on my F150 pickup because I don't drive it much.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mad murdock

One more thing about buying gas at a small airport, a lot of small planes have an authorization (STC) to burn autogas, so a lot of smaller airports have for several years now, offered "mogas" or "autofuel" to service this market.  It is a little more expensive perhaps than gas at the gas station pumps, but perhaps not.  It is cheaper than 100LL, usually, and will never contain ethanol, as all the autofuel STC's that are available are for straight gas, as in No ethanol allowed, so if they offer auto gas at the airport, there is a high percentage chance it will be ethanol free.  That said, 100LL still will keep over long periods of strage better than non-ehtanol auto gas. It does not "varnish" like auto fuel does.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

21incher

Willywood752 welcome to the forum. I only live a couple of miles up the road from you. I use the Stabil marine formula in all my small engines with hi octane gas. I always shut off the fuel and let the engines run until they stop to drain the carb when I am finished for the day. I think Quick-Fill has non ethanol gas. I think using non ethanol gas will also give you slightly more power in a small engine.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Thank You Sponsors!