iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clark ranger paint job!

Started by RKH Logging, February 16, 2014, 06:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

I finished painting my skidder today! i would like to add the pics to this post, can any one help me out? I made an album but cant fiqur out how to get them to this post. this is my first post on a forum ever. thanks.

rockwall

Good for you! Can't wait to see the pics. What did you use for paint?

beenthere

RKH
The hard part is done.

Go to your post and click "Modify". Then click the blue bar below that says "Click here to add Photos to post" and a window to your gallery will pop up.
There you will see tabs like "Home" "My Gallery" "Upload files".   You have them uploaded already so just click on "My Gallery" and find your pic and click on it (instead of a thumbnail it will be the full size pic).

Then the trick is to SCROLL down a ways under your pic and you will see the blue box that says "Insert image in post". Click it and a question comes up Yes/NO, click yes and your image will be moved to your post. 
Click Preview to see how it looks ...   look forward to seeing the pic in your post. smiley_thumbsup
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Quote from: RKH Logging on February 16, 2014, 06:04:16 PM
I finished painting my skidder today! i would like to add the pics to this post, can any one help me out? I made an album but cant fiqur out how to get them to this post. this is my first post on a forum ever. thanks.
you are almost there. Open up your gallery to the pics you want to include in your post and then copy and past the URL of the picture in your post. Or you can select the "add to post" option and go from there.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=152154

Great job on the skidder BTW!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

pasbuild

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

treeslayer2003

MEloggah

Looks good! I know where there is a 70 666 with a 453 18.4/26s two are new two are 70%. It's very tight n straight all chained up for 10,000.00. If I was a clark man IDE own that baby

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum! Skidder looks great. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Corley5

Good looking old machine  8) 8)  A local guy has a 664 in his fleet.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

RKH Logging

I just used emplement enamel from the tractor supply store. Took 2 weeks to finish it. I did a little bit everyday. Most of it was either brushed or rolled on, the only thing I sprayed was the inside of the cab and the rims. 

thecfarm

RKH Logging,welcome to the forum. That looks good. Skidder used every day?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

RKH Logging

I bought this machime for $5000. With a brand new set of ring chains never instaled. The guy that owned it was crushed by a cheko, a week after getting the motor rebuilt. And it ended his career.. I bought it for the price of what he owed on the engine job. Which happen to be 5000.  Its got a 453 detroit with a clark 2420 trans. I've done a lot of work to the machine to get it at that stage. Its been a great experience along the way. Thanks for all the welcomes.. I'm not a very computer oriented person. So it takes me a bit to fiqur this stuff out.

kuppy

looks great cat yellow paint ya.
jimmy

Ken

Great score on the old Clark.  They are a  tough machine.  In the winter they are heavier than many other skidders so tend to travel through the snow a bit easier.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

rockwall

It looks like a million bucks! Great work!

RKH Logging

In side the cab there is an empty spot where a leaver use to be. Right beside the high low lever. The empty spot says T-N-W. Which I'm assuming is travel-Neutral-work. Now it must not have been used very offten. Or the operator kept hitting the lever by mistake and decided to take it out. Now on the bottom of the trans on the right hand side at the back is where this lever use to hook up.  Now if I pull that selector out with pliers would you guys know which movement on the valve is in which mode. The machine only seems to drive if I pull the valve right out. Which I think is travel, machine seems to drive real fast but when you get to a hill it don't have the power to climb it. I assumed neutral was when the valve was in the middle but the machine won't move if its in the middle or all the way in, only will drive if its all the way out, which i think must be travel mode. Any help or ideas would be great.

RKH Logging

ill let you guys know a little bit about me. I'm 25 years old. I live in northern ontario. Started a snowplowing bussines 6 years ago, which kept me busy all winter. During the summer i would cut and split firewood and sell it. The guy that i bought the logs off of offered me a job in the bush during the summer months with his skidder. So I rented this machine off him and had no issues making money with it. So i ran that for a while. Late this fall that 666 came up for sale. I talked to a few differnt logging operations going on around here and found one to take me on. So I bought the skidder and here I am now. The machine is not going to work untill the end of march so I've just been trying to get it prepared. I take a lot of pride in what I own and work hard for.  That being why I did what I did to the skidder. 

rockwall

In my 1977 664 B, to the left of the seat is forward,neutral and reverse. Beside that is high and low. Between my legs is the travel lever, when high, low lever is in high I can lift up on travel lever and it will go into travel(fast) mode. I always work with it out of travel mode.

RKH Logging

I'm heading to the shop around 4 today. Ill take some pics of where the lever was and where the lever hooks up on the trans.

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: RKH Logging on February 16, 2014, 09:04:31 PM
I just used emplement enamel from the tractor supply store. Took 2 weeks to finish it. I did a little bit everyday. Most of it was either brushed or rolled on, the only thing I sprayed was the inside of the cab and the rims. 

Good looking skidder and paint job  ..Did you use the hardener in the paint also ?
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

rockwall

You can get all the manuals for your skidder for free at www.alliedsystems.com/pubs/pubs.htm click on Ranger on left, then drag right to the manuals you want-ex. parts manual, click-then click R6530,R6535,R6540 orR6545 depending on which one you want. You can also get the manual for your motor on anther site but it cost around $16.

RKH Logging

no i did not use any hardener. i did use some thinner when i sprayed it. turned out pretty good for a $300 paint job.

RKH Logging

here is those pics of where that lever use to be and another pic of where it hooked on the trans. the machine only drives when that plunger on the bottom of the trans is pulled out.  any ideas if that would be the travel mode or work?

treeslayer2003

I think out is travel, keep messing with it may be ya havn't ever got it all the way in. it is just a gear so if it moves in travel it should move in work. could be a valve problem I spose. most every one I ever seen has the travel lever unhooked.

rockwall

The manual for the 664 says the lever is for controlling the high/low range in the transmission. Work range is for pulling any kind of load and travel is for going empty. I don't use mine much at all I just leave it in work range, the travel range is way too fast for in the woods. It also says to be stationary and in neutral in both high/low and forward/reverse when shifting into and out of work/travel. In my machine up is in travel and down is work range.

RKH Logging

yea i played around with it last night. stil could not get any movement unless it was all the way out and when i drive the machine it seems real fast. went to climb a snowbank and it wouldent. wont brake the tires lose either on snow.

treeslayer2003

try moving the plunger while the engine is running but with trans in neutral.

rockwall

I usually just put my high/low lever in high and then lift up on Travel/work lever to put in Travel so I can Take the floorboard out to check Tranny and hydraulic fluid. When I'm done I just push lever back down into work mode.

RKH Logging

Tried with it running and with it off. Also tried with the trans in gear stil nothing.  Maybe next time someones around the same machine they can take a look at the back of the trans and see which postition thier plunger is in when in work mode.. also both steering cylenders leak a bit whats the normal rule on these should I fix them or let them be,  I'd guess about a liter a day between the both of them. 

treeslayer2003

I will look at mine tomorrow. that's quite a leak....it will get worse.

rockwall

Here is my travel gear in work mode, my Clark tranny is a 2420

RKH Logging

Thanks rockwall. Guess ill be heading back to the shop in the morning and try to get it in work mode..

RKH Logging

Treeslayer2003 do you suggest take them off and get them fixed or just buy new?

nhlogga

Quote from: RKH Logging on February 17, 2014, 05:36:58 PM
here is those pics of where that lever use to be and another pic of where it hooked on the trans. the machine only drives when that plunger on the bottom of the trans is pulled out.  any ideas if that would be the travel mode or work?

According to my 664C manual:
low range + w = 1st
low range + t = 2nd
hi range + w = 3rd
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

How many gallons of paint did you use? Looks super!
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

RKH Logging

it took 2.5 gallons of yellow and half a gallon of black. the color is safety yellow. ill prob never paint another piece of equipment in my life i hated doing it. just could not justify paying $3500 to have someone do it. rather do mechanical work any day of the week, or be out cutting.

nhlogga

I painted a 665D once for a guy I used to work for. Sprayed it. It had more runs than Babe Ruth. Mud covered those runs up nicely.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RKH Logging on February 18, 2014, 06:24:45 PM
Treeslayer2003 do you suggest take them off and get them fixed or just buy new?
get the packing kits, you can repack your self.
I thought all the way in was work but couldn't remember.

RKH Logging

Im back at the garage today. i started playing with the plunger it pulls back into travel mode no problem from neutral but i cant get it to go all the way in to work. i made up a rod to go in the end of the plunger so i can work it back and forth from the side of the machine but still got nothing. it goes into neutral easy from travel, and when i try to push it all the way in it just bounces back to neutral its not going all the way in. ive tryed putting it in with the other gear selectors in every different combination and still nothing. i tried with it running and with it off. i also tried rowtating the plunger back and forth when trying to push in at the same time. i called the guy who use to own the machine and when the motor blew up they put it in the neutral postion to push it on the float to get it to the shop. and now i cant get it back in work. once its in im good i dont plan on using this travel feature. any other sugestions would be great. i hope i dont got to take this trans out. >:(

RKH Logging

I Got It In!!! i put a pipe wrench on the rear drive shat and spun it back and forth well pushing on the plunger and she poped right in.. thanks for all the help guys!! Now she climbs the snowbank.

rockwall

Excellent! A huge triumph! I think you'll be all set, I can't see it popping out. Just so you know on mine there is quite a rod and linkage so that must make a lot of leverage.

thecfarm

That's makes you feel good,don't it?  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

treeslayer2003

Quote from: RKH Logging on February 19, 2014, 11:58:55 AM
I Got It In!!! i put a pipe wrench on the rear drive shat and spun it back and forth well pushing on the plunger and she poped right in.. thanks for all the help guys!! Now she climbs the snowbank.
good deal! I thought it would go, ya just had to get forcefull lol. I am pretty sure that is not a valve, it just moves a gear. that is why it went in when you moved the shaft.

Ed_K

"Now she climbs the snow bank"  That made me smile  8) glad you got it.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!