iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short video of the old jack working in some spruce

Started by Ken, February 16, 2014, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

Here is a short video showing some of the nice spruce we have been working in.  I had to cut this video short as something happened on the last tree.  Can you spot the issue?

http://youtu.be/g6r9Q0J1e1M
Lots of toys for working in the bush

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

Ive never had a chain fall off, whats that like?? :D :D   how did you set up your camera?  I would like to film like this but not sure how to set the camera

plasticweld

How does that rig measure the log it is cutting, I watch it go back and forth yet it seems to be cutting everything to length

Ryan D

It must be annoying having to leave all the pulp in the woods like that Ken.

beenthere

Quote from: plasticweld on February 16, 2014, 05:46:15 PM
How does that rig measure the log it is cutting, I watch it go back and forth yet it seems to be cutting everything to length

The spiked wheels that the tree runs between are monitored for travel (using encoders), and that info fed to the computer, so the wheels can stop the tree at the right position for cutting the log to length (ctl). Some back and forth likely to get the limbs cleaned off so they are not in the way to knock the chain off the bar.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

snowstorm

some days the chains come off what seems like all the time others it never comes off. cutting brush will do it. on mine i have it set so the chain in still turning as the bar goes home. that way if a stick gets cot it cuts it in to. that head has a measuring wheel.as the tree is fed thru the head it turns an encoder. my keto uses tracks instead of feed wheels  and the encoder drives off the tracks. if the tracks spin the length may be wrong. but the tracks dont spin very often

snowstorm

sometimes when the chain comes off and the snow is deep. its lost forever. a couple yrs ago i lost one 2 weeks later i found it hanging on a limb 5' off the ground. it was hunting season i think someone found it and hung it on the limb

kuppy

jimmy

Corley5

Cool video  8) 8)  You don't have a market for cedar or isn't there enough of it on the job ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

rvolek

I had to watch it twice cause I thought the process was the neatest thing! I have never see one of those work up close like that! Great video!
I have to ask, how often due you have to swap out chains? That thing cuts quick!
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Ken

Quote from: Corley5 on February 16, 2014, 10:15:41 PM
Cool video  8) 8)  You don't have a market for cedar or isn't there enough of it on the job ???
The larger cedar on the job is saved but we are selling it tree length and the specs are pretty tight.  We have not been cutting any softwood pulp but the company we are harvesting for takes the logs down to 4" so not much left.  We also need the tops to put in the wet spots as there are some very hard spots to get through with the porter.   
The chain has been coming off a bit more than usual lately.  Time to put a new sprocket on.  S
Quote from: 1270d on February 16, 2014, 05:06:34 PM
Ive never had a chain fall off, whats that like?? :D :D   how did you set up your camera?  I would like to film like this but not sure how to set the camera
I must get myself one of them fancy wheeled harvesters if they don't throw the chains.  The window in the front of my machine has horizontal bars across the front which I put the camera on. 
My measuring encoder is actually a spiked wheel in the center of the head that travels along the tree.  Therefore if the wheels spin the spiked wheel does not move.  The measuring system is actually very accurate. 

1270d

I throw plenty of chains, just wish I didn't.

Just recently the length encoder went bad on my head, talk about causing some weird problems.   It must have shorted internally because there were other sensors acting up and strange voltages where there shouldn't be.  The thing measured spot on till the day it died, a little over 11k hours.  Impressive little piece of electronics.

SliverPicker

Great video.  The quality is much better than what you usually see.
Yooper by trade.

g_man

That is some nice spruce. Very nice video too - Thanks for posting.

g_man

I forgot to ask - Do you get a diameter readout also ( I am thinking you must)or do you just keep cutting til you run out of tree and do a diameter sort somewhere else?

Ken

Quote from: g_man on February 18, 2014, 02:53:31 PM
I forgot to ask - Do you get a diameter readout also ( I am thinking you must)or do you just keep cutting til you run out of tree and do a diameter sort somewhere else?
The harvesting head had 2 diameter sensors although neither of them work now.  After a while you can get pretty good at knowing what the top size is just by eye.

Thank You Sponsors!