iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduce myself

Started by W Vaughan, February 16, 2014, 03:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W Vaughan

Hi everyone. I have been lurking around here for a while and recently joined. I live in west central MS been here all of my life. My family has a long history in the timber and sawmill/lumber industry. My great grandfather was a logger all the way back in the horse and mule days. My great uncle Wesley Everett (uncle Jr.),brought in the new age of mechanized logging to the family business with one of the first Cat crawlers in the woods around these parts. He spent the last 60 years buying barging and sawmilling timber up and down the Ms river. My father retired this year from 25 years running a hardwood kiln drying facility. About a year ago after 8 years as a lineman, going back to school and getting an accounting degree I finally made my way back home when I accepted a position as an assistant mill manager at a local hardwood mill. I finally feel like I'm working where I belong! I hope to get my own small mill built over the next year or so and look forward to sharing with and learning from the great folks here.

Will Vaughan

Brian C.

Welcome W. Looking forward to learning from you.

Magicman

Hello Will and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  You must be close to either me or my tree farm.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Will, welcome to forestry forum!  I am over on the other side (East central) part of MS.  Seems like wood is in your genes ;).  Good luck with all your new endeavors.  Do you already own a small mill to setup or will you be buying a mill?  Either way what type will it be, band, circle or some other variation?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

W Vaughan

I'm located about 40 miles northwest of Jackson. I do not own a mill right now. I am planning on buying an old circle mill. It will be as much for pleasure sawing as much as anything. Maybe supply dad with some lumber for his woodworking projects. We have both circle and band mills with computerized setworks at work and I just like the circle mill better. I hope to find an old hand set diesel powered mill to set up down the road from the house just for the fun of it and to be able to teach my children what has kept part of our family going for so many years.

Will Vaughan

Magicman

Then my tree farm is about as far South of Vicksburg as you are North.

I wish you the best with your new career and your sawmill efforts.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, W Vaughan
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

mad murdock

Welcome Will, glad to see you on board!! Can't wait to see your mill pics when you get things set up. I bet with the pedigree you inherited, it will be a great place to visit!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

drobertson

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story, hope you get the mill up and running sooner than later,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

hunz

Welcome to the forum!, It seems as if you will be able to add much to the discussions with your family history, and background. :laugh:

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Will.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Migal

Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

dgdrls

1woodguy

Welcome aboard Will bunch of good folks here.
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

Welcome Will.Lotts of stuff on here where folks have brought some of these old mills back to life.
al glenn

Andy White

W Vaughan,
Welcome to the forum, the place to be for" wood people" of all kinds. Love seeing other people,s mill setups and infrastructure. Have fun, and stay safe.   Remember,  We like pictures!   Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

wwsjr

Welcome to the forum from NE Mississippi.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

QueBenz

Welcome to the forum, Will.  A lot of great information on this forum.

dukndog

Welcome to the FF!! I'm just west of you in the Ouachita Hills Mountains of Arkansas.
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

W Vaughan

Thanks for the welcome! I do hope at some point I will be able to contribute to the considerable knowledge here. I imagine I will do a lot more learning than contributing though. I do have a bunch of old photos from the early days of uncle Jr's logging days that I hope to be able upload soon.

Will Vaughan

clww

We like new photos. :)
We like old photos. :)
Actually, I think we pretty much like all photos. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

MIsawyer

hardtailjohn

Welcome to the forum!!   Woooohooooo another circle mill guy!!  8) 
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Thank You Sponsors!