iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hitch vs Drag- Skid trail vs Twitch rd....Location Location Location

Started by riverlogger, February 16, 2014, 10:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverlogger

I enjoy reading all of the post on the forum and it keeps jumping out at me how depending on your regional location the logging slang changes. As for us here in the south we use the term "drag" while it seems that up toward the north the term becomes hitch. I have also seen the term "twitch road" used while here we call them " skid trails" Just another beauty of our freedom in this great country of ours. IMO

thecfarm

My Father always called them woods road. My wife son says tote road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Drag, hitch, skid trail twitch rd whatever you call them all them terms mean hard work somewhere along the line.
Here they are skid trails and hitches and the place where you take the logs  to is either a landing or header.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SliverPicker

Here in Colorado it's a "skid trail" and a "turn".  Most guys wear tin, full brim hats, but no suspenders.  No bobbed off pants either.

I like that term, "tote road".  I might have to use that from time to time.
Yooper by trade.

Corley5

We call them skid trails and skids.  Forwarder loads are called skids too  :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

treechopper40

its hitch here and skid trail or skid road and header landing or yard
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Rick Alger

Here in NH I believe a tote road was a road good enough for a wagon to bring tote ( food, hay, tools, etc ) into the camps. The sled roads to bring wood to the river in late winter were called two-sled roads or haul roads. Twitch trails were not roads, it was all done with a single horse. The skidder paths nowadays are called either skid trails or twitch trails. I talked with a guy yesterday who was saying he didn't have to brush in his twitch trails because of the cold. He has a big machine but the old term still works.

barbender

I must be close enough to Corley, we have the same terms ;D I never have gotten used to call moving wood with a forwarder "skidding", even though that is the common terminology here. Also the branches and tops left over are called "slash" up here, I remember a friend that was logging down south said he referred to it as "slash" once, he wasn't understood because down there it was referred to as "tops". Having this forum helps keep you well versed with our regional differences ;)
Too many irons in the fire

cutter88

Ontario we say "main trail" , "side trail" , "bush road" and " hitch" :D
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Maine logger88

Up here its twitching wood, twitch road or skid road whichever you choose, and brush is slash. My cousin gets in heated debates on Facebook about this all the time which I find funny cause he's never worked a full day in the woods yet seems to know more about it than me haha. It doesn't matter to me what its called as long as we all understand each other but it is kinda funny different name for different regions
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

1270d

there was a thread somewhere a while back in which you could post your region and terminology. 
Here we call em a skid trail and the skidder is pulling a drag.  forwarders haul a buggyload.

Southside

Not exactly the same thing,  but sort of like using the  term "Dooryard", to me I know exactly what someone means, first time I said that to my wife she had no idea what I was talking about.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rick f

Southside are you from Maine, it sounds like you might be :D
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

tlandrum

round here I used to "drop and top" then I'd take the "skidder" into the "log woods" on the "skid trail" to get a "turn" of trees, then I skid them into the "landing" to be "bucked" up and loaded on the truck to be trucked out of the log woods on the "haul road" to be taken to the "mill" so that I can be "robbed" at "doyle scale" point just to brake barely even to keep doing it another day.   
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

JDeere

Quote from: Southside logger on February 16, 2014, 05:27:27 PM
Not exactly the same thing,  but sort of like using the  term "Dooryard", to me I know exactly what someone means, first time I said that to my wife she had no idea what I was talking about.

That's funny. I remember about 30 years ago using the term "dooryard" in college in Oklahoma and my best friend, a native Okie, said, what the heck is a doy-yard?
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

landscraper

Virginia terminology is not too different - you take your grapple back in the woods to get a drag of logs and haul them up the skidder trail to the landing.  The loader man gets a trailer loaded and then the spot truck hauls it up to the state road.  You leave your laps in the woods.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

Maine logger88

We also call a snowmobile a snowsled a skidder is sometimes pronounced skiddah and I was told one of the few places that measure distance in hours don't know if that ones true or not tho
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

MEloggah

Lol we have lotsa slang and strong accent in maine. Some times we come across a tree that's a 'cockah'

Southside

Quote from: rick f on February 16, 2014, 05:44:34 PM

Rick - left Aroostook a number of years ago, been to the west coast, and now down south, do very much enjoy what this area offers but at the same time do miss The County.  One thing I learned - the hard way - is out west every dozer is called a "Cat", no matter who made it, down this way all excavators are "Track Hoe's".  Guess it was the same when we called every snow mobile a "Ski-Doo" no matter the color. 

One time I was telling a guy in the mid-west about the time a "wicked big moose stove a guy's car all to dog $..t right in his door yard" in Ft. Kent, my wife turned to me and promptly told me nobody had any idea what I had just said!!!   :D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

rick f

Quote from: Southside logger on February 16, 2014, 08:09:51 PM
Quote from: rick f on February 16, 2014, 05:44:34 PM

Rick - left Aroostook a number of years ago, been to the west coast, and now down south, do very much enjoy what this area offers but at the same time do miss The County.  One thing I learned - the hard way - is out west every dozer is called a "Cat", no matter who made it, down this way all excavators are "Track Hoe's".  Guess it was the same when we called every snow mobile a "Ski-Doo" no matter the color. 

One time I was telling a guy in the mid-west about the time a "wicked big moose stove a guy's car all to dog $..t right in his door yard" in Ft. Kent, my wife turned to me and promptly told me nobody had any idea what I had just said!!!   :D
[/quote

Southside, I just told the wife what your wife said, she laughed cause it was probably true. Nice that we can laugh at ourselves. Where in the county, we go up to Mapleton to see friends real often. A lot of good people up there.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Southside

Talk about a small world, home was West Chapman, need to go through Mapleton to get there, but I was in the Valley and up in St Pamphilie for a while. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

beenthere

QuoteYou leave your laps in the woods.

Where does the "laps" word come from?

I had a colleague once from the hills of TN talking about "tree laps". Couldn't figure out what he was referring to, until we sorted out he meant the tops of trees... slash, tops, etc.

Between us we thought maybe started out "tops" and southern pronunciation sounded like "taps" and that morphed into "laps".  Is this even close to how it might have come about, or is there a known transition and meaning?

Or does it come from lopping tops, and that gets southernized to "laps them off" and becomes "laps" ??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redprospector

I have no idea what y'all are talkin' about.  :D
Round here we go up on the hill and fall timber and work it up where it lays. We skid turns with either a Cat, or a rubber tire to the landing, where the "deck hand" or "landing man" bumps knots and unhooks chokers before the sticks are loaded on a truck.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

riverlogger

Down here in the south we refer to what you call a landing as the pit. I have no idea how or where that term comes from unless it refers to the fact that years ago the woods here where full of dug out pits where the loggers of the old days would back their trucks in to a hole they dug to make it easier to load. I have just always assumed this could be the reason we call them pits.

lynde37avery

we pull a hitch.. down the skid trail, or the spur road.. to the landing or log pile
Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!