iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adding Hydraulics To lt35 Manual

Started by woodweasel, February 16, 2014, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodweasel

Anybody ever added hydraulics to lt35? Kinda toying with the ideal :P :P
Went to my woodmizer account online but could not find the hydraulics
in the assessories. Lt 35 is one year old this month,bought it for my hobbies.Put a free ad in the Thirfty Nickle (want ads) last month picked
up 4 jobs. Two of the jobs are 50 plus logs ( will do these at the end of the month). Most i've cut at one time was 6 logs.Thinking 50 is gonna
be tuff manually? ??? ??? ;D :P Daniel

Chuck White

Hydraulics will certainly help your back, and we aren't getting any younger!

Maybe give Wood-Mizer a call and ask about trading up.

Your mill is still practically new and you might very well get all or most of your initial cost applied to a hydraulic mill!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ga Mtn Man

I second Chuck's suggestion.  Adding hydraulics to your mill will likely effect your warranty.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WoodenHead

The LT35 likely has no hydraulic upgrade options available.  Having said that, knowing the right part numbers to order, you most likely could add the WM hydraulic loading arms, backstops and bolt-on log turner with hydraulic pump and two valves (LT40 manual option HLTK - $4,000US) without violating warranty.  I have never tried to add this to an LT35, but I can't see why it wouldn't work (2010 mill and newer).

However... I would actually agree with the others and consider trading up, particularly if you want more hydraulic functions (having some functions, but not all might be just as aggravating as having none).

Magicman

Personally, I would seriously consider upgrading to a LT40.  At least run the numbers. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ga Mtn Man

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 16, 2014, 11:24:59 AM
I second Chuck's suggestion.  Adding homemade hydraulics to your mill will likely effect your warranty.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

hunz

I personally would trade it in... like magicman said, go for the lt40hyd! I myself already love my 35 hyd, but again its all I know. If I was to make any upgrades I would go bigger. Just my $0.02
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

MartyParsons

Hello,
There is a hydraulic kit for adding ( some of) the hydraulic features.  Loading arms, turner and back supports. Wood Mizer installed brakes on all mills that could possibly add hydraulics. The LT35 manual has electric brakes.

My opinion like the others if you are going to keep selling the sawing service your body will thank you if you purchase a full hydraulic mill. I would also think your production rate would increase.
The LT35 with Hydraulics or the LT40 HD would be great.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

pineywoods

Woodweasel, I have added home-built hydraulics to 3 manual lt40's. Here's my 2 cents on the subject. I looked at buying the parts from woodmizer and adding them to my mill. Decided it really wasn't practical for several reasons, one being cost. Some of the options require some extensive cutting and welding, with a chance of warping the frame. WM hydraulics use a hefty 12 volt motor to drive the pump. You would have to upgrade the electrical system. All things considered, if you want the full package, trading up is the best way to go. If you have someone with a hydraulic mill within visiting range, I definitely recommend spend some time just watching. The wm turner/2 plane clamp operated by a competent sawyer is a beautiful thing to watch..
I went with a bolt on home-made turner/clamp, power backstops and toe roller, but I am a fixed operation, which makes it a lots easier.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

woodweasel

Thanks fellows im gonna do the math, probally call WM. :P

Thank You Sponsors!