iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Screen Doors

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, February 15, 2014, 08:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Have any of you guys built any really unique screen doors?
I'd like to see some pics......doors you have built, not what's on the internet. Thanks.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

I know it's warmer down there, but screen doors? :D You can't be that far ahead on your projects list?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Buck

Exactly what I thought! Up to his knees in snow and thinking screen doors. Must be some kind of therapy.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Its gonna get up to 70 plus this coming weekend.....gots to plan ahead.  ;D

Dan_Shade

I made a few last year, I'll try to remember to post pictures.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

21incher

I almost broke mine in half trying to open it with all the frozen snow blown against it a couple of days ago. Should take the DanG thing off for the winter as the bugs have all gone south. Good thread because I will need a new one if this weather keeps up.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

I have built a couple.  Will look for pics.  Most people don't take screen door pics  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

screen door! that funny stuff :D :D :D we use storm doors, and the 2 days we get summer i'll take the glass out, now its a screen door ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Holmes

You need to have a real good screen door. A person I met almost got killed because of his screen door. He knew if he tried to open the door it would squeak so he shot the buck in his back yard thru the door, his wife almost killed him with a frying pan. ;D
Think like a farmer.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I figure a screen door is a simple build, and it is......really not much to it.
But about 30 years ago, I saw some of the most unique screen doors, Handmade in the mountains, I had ever seen. They were gorgeous!
I had no camera back then.  ::)

Dan_Shade

not real unique, but this is what I did.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

What I learned:

1. Make it 1 1/4" thick.  I made mine 1" thick.  it may bust at the tenons.

2. use mortise and tenon joinery for strongest doors

3. I used a rabbet bit to inlet the frames to use a standard screen, you can get the frame kits at a hardware store.

LeeB

I need to rescreen it. The cats do a number on it. Made from red oak and finished with poly over amber shellac. I turned the spindles. They aren't exactly the same, but you can't tell unless you really look close. I made it for Lindy based on a picture she had of one on her grand dad's house from the 30's.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Mine is yellow poplar.  I ordered the spindles, but you can make them yourself.  Bottom panel is v-grooved T&G. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I remember that door.  :) Thats the door we carried the 926 3/4 pound AMP through.  :D

Don_Papenburg

I  ss screen in my doors .  Cats can climb them allday long and they still keep the bugs out.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

SwampDonkey

Depending on the work you want to make for yourself, some screen doors have fancy carving or routing of the wood that attaches the screen to the door and just use finish nails or whatever to attach it. Pre-drill so you don't split wood and bend nails, if your using hardwood. Cedar will obviously be easy to drive nails, or maybe use a brad nailer or or whatever needs doing. ;D Screen doors here are on screened in porches, but not main doors into houses so much. For that it's a storm door. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on February 17, 2014, 03:42:10 PM
Thats the door we carried the 926 3/4 pound AMP through.  :D

Yes, exactly.  The amp was heavier than the pecan slabs.........well, maybe not quite.  Without Fishpharmer, I know two fat boys who would have been in deep trouble  :).

thecfarm

WDH,that POSTON guy is ALWAYS complaining about the work you make him do when he comes to vist you.  Keep him busy. You have a list going for his next visit??  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Dad's uncle Percy down in the state of MA and at the cabin in NH always had lots of chores. Any vacation we had there was a working one. I wheeled lots of gravel and sand down to his wharf. No wonder he lived over a 100, everyone else was doing the work, he directed. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on February 18, 2014, 09:12:09 AM
WDH,that POSTON guy is ALWAYS complaining about the work you make him do when he comes to vist you.  Keep him busy. You have a list going for his next visit??  :D

Next time I go to Georgia, I'm taking a pair of crutches  hurt_smiley and a good story.  :D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on February 18, 2014, 08:16:09 AM
Without Fishpharmer, I know two fat boys who would have been in deep trouble  :).

You got that right....Bless his Heart. ( old saying ).  ;D

thecfarm

My Grand Mother use to bless my heart quit often.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Farmerjw

Sorry guys to interrupt and bring this back to the original topic, but whoever wants to make a unique screen door should consider the opportunities our Busy Beaver provides.  Every good screen door needs a push bar/board/screen guard.  And the opportunities BB and his new toys errrr tools offer would make the new screen door a grand slam!!!!!!!!
Premier Bovine Scatologist

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're right Farmer. I know where an antique Push Bar is with a Mountain Dew ad on it. Gonna build a screen door for it.

Thank You Sponsors!