iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mark and Tallying a clearcut

Started by jfogarty, February 15, 2014, 04:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfogarty

This a hypothetical question posed for those of you in private consulting forestry - please no federal or state timber markers - no offense, just looking for different opinions or ideas on what is done in private industry that I might not be thinking of.

How would you or how have you done it in the past, tally and mark for removal a small forested area to be clearcut? Mostly northern / northeastern (USA) hardwoods with some softwood species in the mix. Size varies across the site from heavy American beech regeneration to large (+24 inch DBH) hardwood and softwood stems. Terrain is gently to somewhat sloped. Approximately 140 stems per acre to remove. Stems less than six inches will not be removed. Area of the clearcut is approximately 30 acres in size (+/- 4100 stems). Timber is to be sold on a "lump sum" basis. Area has been non-intensively cruised (1 plot per 7 acres) recently.

So, how would you mark it? How would you tally or come up with volumes for a sale? Would you mark any of it? All of it? Just the boundary? Tally? Cruise?

I have my ideas, but I would really like to hear yours.

Thanks!

John
John M. Fogarty, LPF, CF
Fogarty Forestry, LLC

Ken

If you only have a handful of points your volume data would be basically useless unless the stand was extremely uniform in size.  I like to do a minimum of 1 point/acre.  Why do you need a volume tally for a lump sum clearcut bid sale?  Let the bidders come up with their own numbers.  I suspect you have an idea of the value of the harvest.  Include in the tender document wording that indicates if the bids are not acceptable the harvest will not be carried out.  If the harvest calls for all 6" stems to be left clearly outline that in the tender document.  Request a damage deposit to cover the possibility of damage to residual stems.  I would only mark the boundary. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Texas Ranger

I agree with Ken.  I currently have a 275 acre clear cut on the board.  I don't like clear cuts, but my owner decided to max out growth be clearing and replant.  I have worked this tract since 1968 and was my go to tract for demonstration.   I have data for the tract for all that period, including 2 selective cuts.  I put in an intensive cruise seveal times over the years and was comfortable with the sale.  In smaller  clear cuts I might mark it all, depending on the stand and products.

By your discription, I would mark it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jfogarty

Ok. So far I've got one mark it all and I'm assuming 100% tally and one mark the boundary and a point per acre. Anyone else?

John
John M. Fogarty, LPF, CF
Fogarty Forestry, LLC

BuckeyeAaron

I've never marked or administered a clear cut but if I were going to I would simply mark the boundary.  I see no need to marking any of the timber - seems like a waste of resources.  But agreed with other posters, 1 plot/7-ac is very low for a 30-acre tract.  But if you have walked it and can vouch that it's uniform then I suppose that's your call.  Once your cruise is complete, you can apply market pricing based on species/product to get an idea of where the bids should fall.  I would just make it clear in the contract that you want all material gone over a certain diameter limit and then check in to make sure nothing is being left behind.  Maybe my approach is too simplistic though since I've never gone through the process myself.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

jfogarty

We're at 2 to mark the boundary of the cut, and then do some sort of a cruise in the cut area to determine sale volumes to be removed, and 1 for 100% mark and possible tally.

Just to clarify - the 1 pt per 7 ac is across a much larger area - the cut area is only 30 acres of a much larger +/- 10k acres, which was cruised at an earlier point, but somewhat recently, to get a general inventory.

Many thanks to all those who've replied - I greatly appreciate your insights and keep them coming!!

John
John M. Fogarty, LPF, CF
Fogarty Forestry, LLC

Clark

1. Paint the line around it.
2. Cruise the stand. Around here 1.5 plots/acre with a 10 factor will give you a solid estimate.

I don't know exactly what species you're dealing with but I do question leaving all stems less than 6". Leaving those small trees does more harm than good around here.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Ron Scott

For the stand and acres that you describe and for a lump sum sale, I would also 100% mark and tree or sample tree measure it depending upon the dominance, uniformity, and value of any one species in the stand.
~Ron

banksiana

30 acres, lump sum.  That would get a 100% cruise.  Separate strata for product and set sample frequency by statistical means to meet your desired error.  I would say 3 days marking should do it.   

Thank You Sponsors!