iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granddads circle mill

Started by POC, February 15, 2014, 04:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

I went out today and uncovered some of the old mill.  I found a couple of different things. 
The power source that was used was a White inline 6 cylinder, not sure what it came out of.
The other thing, on the base of the gears that adjust the width of cut, that ride on the carriage said "R.R. Howell & Co.  Minneapolis, Minn."
I'm working on getting the pictures posted.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Buddyw

POC

View from the landing down to the motor.

This is the end of the "roof" that is also the gas tank over the motor.

Here's the generator with my glove for scale.

"Chrome Nickel Alloy"

Here you can see the rope that went from the carb through the pulley in the foreground to the pulley in the background then all the way up to a pedal at the landing.
You can also see on the side of the intake manifold the name "White" in script letters.

Intake manifold, "White"

The entire power unit, with my glove for scale.

Here you can see the wide belt going around what was once a "pulley" (sheave?) on the end of the output shaft from the transmission.

Close up of the homemade sheave. Each nail, as in the foreground, had a dowel that ran to another ring that formed the sheave.

Here's the BIG sheave that got the power from the motor and sent it out to blade, blower and carriage.

Hard to tell what this is....it is the blower, from a hammermill.  It pulled the sawdust from the blade area then blew it up and over the mill and about 20' or more (hard to remember) across a road where the trucks picked up the lumber and into a huge pile.

Final resting place of the carriage.

Lifting what is left of the roof off what is left of the carriage. (My helper on the left.) Head block on the right.

Cast into the headblocks, (I think)"Scranton, Ohio"

The end of a scoop shovel and if you look real hard you can see the cable that ran the carriage.

On the base (sorry for my ignorance of the correct term) "head block adjuster". 
R R HOWELL & CO.   
MINNEAPOLIS, MINN

The hand made lever that controlled the movement of the carriage.  This has been exposed to the elements for 20+ years.  I don't know what kind of wood it is.

So, that's what I found today.
Looking forward to your comments!

I'll try to find some old pics that dad has of the mill when it was actually running.
Patrick

drobertson

It has been said before, no time like the present,  man, it looks cold and snowy there, find any rats?
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POC

It was kinda warm today, in the 20's I think.  ;D
It's been so cold here this year, I don't remember it being this cold for this long before.

No animals at all, the dog was sniffing everywhere and didn't scare anything up.
Patrick

whitepine2

Lot of work to get this mill up and running. First thing to do is start to find some steel to mount tracks on (old school bus might be a start) cheaper than buying I beams. Next try and find a diesel for power and a governor,rope for control not good. Then look around
for some V belt pulleys to drive flat belt not the best ask me how I know. Keep in mind the pulleys need to be right size for right speed of saw.BTW that flat belt looks like it might still  be good should be removed and stored inside if not rotten worth a few $$ to the right person. You might find a whole bus with good diesel,take what you need and junk the rest just my 2 cent's worth. Set works look good as do the holding blocks a lot to think about but plenty of time to look for parts.

Hope this helps you Whitepine2   

Joe Lallande

This looks like my Belsaw when I first saw it behind a barn.  Parts everywhere and the engine was full of bugs and water.  It took me two years to restore it and it was well worth the effort.  When I cut the first board my wife asked me how much did that cost?  We used a lot of the lumber on our new house so it all works out.  Good luck.

loggah

Looks like the engine i had in a old White wc 24 truck i once owned, around 1950 vintage i believe, with a Huber tractor ,radiator in front of it. That is one project!!! I also think the drive pulley was the old paper style the nails and the plate helped hold them together . I have no idea on the mill. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

47sawdust

I did a google search on R.R.Howell.One rebuilt husk came up on Smokestack website.You might be able to get some info there.
Good luck,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

James P.

hello Patrick , I haven't read your previous post. I have ADD so I best stick to this post . I am assuming you plan on getting her running. If So , its not granddads old mill. Its Patrick's New Mill :D . This will be a lot of fun. If you are serious. Take your time and enjoy it. Please follow the sound advice given for Mill foundations.
That is where it all begins. The foundation. Anything you need can be made or found. If you don't have lots of $. You should ask a lot of  ???. It will save you $.  I plan on being around here a bit more. Contributing and getting inspiration from folks like you. I look forward to seeing the snow melt and you getting that baby out of there. I will say, educate yourself as much as possible. Its been sitting there for quite some time. Its not going to get done in a day a week or a month. You wouldn't be happy if it did.  Haste will make waste. Patience isn't only a virtue when it comes to sawmills. Its a must have! You can do it. We are here to help.

James P.

sealark37

What a find!  The old rusty iron lovers are drooling at the sight of this mill.  It will be an involved, time-consuming project, but the end product will be worth it all.  Good Luck, and Regards,    Clark   P.S. Let us watch your progress!

papow22

Well Patrick sure hope you get the mill up and running.For I found asking for things that you need for the old iron opens doors.Your Aviator,Says you are about 38 years young.Well sonny  :D you got the youth with you and lady luck,you'll have nice project to redo the mill and call it "Patricks Mill".I know the thought of redoing the circle mill.Cause my Dad died in 2007,well here it is 2014,So I'm hoping to get the circle mill up and running.But just to find help to operate will be another thing.But maybe just to get it back together to show what the mill looked like.As for a base my Dad mounted on to 14 x 70 trailer frame,the house trailer burnt,but the flooring was okay.then he added a 4th axle to the triple axle to carry the weight.it works but only to move around with large tractor.The D.O.T.'s (chicken coop operators) don't like to see it being pulled with out the proper set that includes their "STANDARDS".But to use on the farm it works good.Well it's portable. :D So I'm going to redo the mill.Thanks for the inspiration.And thanks to word "correction". ;) good-luck.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

POC

As I've been looking more into this, I'm going to abandon the idea for now.  The idea of the school bus really seemed like a great plan. The buses I find for sale around here are $4,000+.  I can buy a brand new band mill for that.
I'm leaning towards an EZ boardwalk Jr. right now.
Patrick

Ianab

There's a lot to be said for that plan. Pay the $ and get a mil that just works.

Not that you can't rebuilt the old mill, but it's likely to take more $$ than just buying/ building a new one. If you intend to work it alone, the small bandmill is a much better plan anyway. Not that those old mills couldn't put out some serious production, but it too 3 or 4 guys to run it properly. If you are working alone, or just one helper, you can probably do just as well with the EZ.

I'd still salvage the parts, paint them with waste oil to slow the rust and stash them in a safe place. It would be cool to rebuild a mill like that, or sell the parts to someone else that needed them. BUt if you just want to saw logs next week, buy something modern.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!