iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best sawing process: thick & slow or thin & fast?

Started by SawyerBrown, February 14, 2014, 06:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

May be somewhat a personal preference, but interested in how others do it ...

The question is whether to saw single cants and go fast, or multiple cants and go slow?

I do a lot of quartersawing of oak, and mostly I use the way that WM suggests: clean up opposite faces, then take about the top 1/3 off of the adjacent faces (and set aside for later).  Then,  I usually flip it up again and cut it right through the middle, leaving 2 cants to be quartersawn.  At that point, I usually set them both back down and start sawing boards, ending up with 2 per pass.  It seems to me that cuts the total number of passes down the track in half, as well as having to set aside the second cant, but it can be pretty slow going with only 25hp on bigger logs. (Sometimes almost as wide as the throat on my mill.). I worry a little bit about uniform thickness across that wide a span, but it seems to do OK.  But would I be better off to do one cant at a time?  Maybe you go more than twice as fast because the blade can get rid of the material? 

Guess the same issue if you're cutting construction lumber in pine, but I personally don't do much of that around here.

Appreciate your thoughts
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Chuck White

Quote from: SawyerBrown on February 14, 2014, 06:58:06 AM
May be somewhat a personal preference, but interested in how others do it ...

The question is whether to saw single cants and go fast, or multiple cants and go slow?

I do a lot of quartersawing of oak, and mostly I use the way that WM suggests: clean up opposite faces, then take about the top 1/3 off of the adjacent faces (and set aside for later).  Then,  I usually flip it up again and cut it right through the middle, leaving 2 cants to be quartersawn.  At that point, I usually set them both back down and start sawing boards, ending up with 2 per pass.   It seems to me that cuts the total number of passes down the track in half, as well as having to set aside the second cant, but it can be pretty slow going with only 25hp on bigger logs. (Sometimes almost as wide as the throat on my mill.). I worry a little bit about uniform thickness across that wide a span, but it seems to do OK.  But would I be better off to do one cant at a time?  Maybe you go more than twice as fast because the blade can get rid of the material? 

Guess the same issue if you're cutting construction lumber in pine, but I personally don't do much of that around here.

Appreciate your thoughts

I really like it when I can saw 2-3 cants at the same time.

It really saves a lot of time, but when you're doing this, you need to remember to watch both cants for lift, twist, etc.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

I depends on how wide and what kind of wood, two   6" cants no problem, two 10" cants I'd do one at a time.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I saw just 1 cant at a time. I make better time.
But remember, if you hit a nail or other metal in 1 cant and your blade does the Olympic Dive......you mess up twice the wood.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

All of the above replies are correct to bring out some important points to be aware of.  Width and stress.  You can add species which will affect both the sawing width (hardness) and the likelihood of stress.  Each log/cant can be an individual unto itself and hard fast rules don't always work.

Handling cants multiple times can also be a factor.  Sometimes it is faster to saw the individual cant rather than move it aside and then back to the sawmill.

Another question could be about actually sawing two logs at the time.

It is a novel idea that did not work for me.  Turning and positioning the logs was iffy at best and actually slowed my sawing time.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

A lot of times when i get three stacks of doug fir 2x6 I will kick out the midle one and mill the two outside ones together and come back for the third one. If one starts to move around or it is just a hard log i will kick another one off and come back to it.
Wide cuts can generate heat and heat can affect the set shortening the amount of board footage the saw will cut.
I like to put some load on the motor but not pull it down.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

I do one at a time and if the cant bows up I can pull it down if I want with the mod I did to the clamp

But I do have to careful not to dig in the cant. If I do I get two lines down the side of the cant  :D :D :D :D :D
But with the ice we have it helps that way too
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!