iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new personal best 32 feet 10 inches.

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, February 13, 2014, 07:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

More than just my pride was injured Sunday when I took one step onto the ice covered Driveway, felt me feet slide out from under me, and slid all the way down the driveway, face first, stopping several feet into the street.   super-smiley

Because this is a family forum, I will not be posting any pics of the nice large bruise i have one my right thigh, but i can tell you it is still quite painful and getting around the past few days has been a challenge to say the least. hurt_smiley

Certainly not the first time I have slipped and fell on the Ice, but with a glide distance of 32 feet, 10 inches, this certainly is my best effort to date and a record I am sure will hold up for some time to come. smiley_clapping

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

thecfarm

Not a record I will try to break. Speaking of breaking ,lucky nothing did get broke. I fell last year. Did not go sliding. But I think I went straight up 4 feet and came right down the same distance. That was a bruise and I laid there for a few seconds nodding to my friend and granddaughter I was ok. Took the wind right out of me.
I also meant to ask,was there someone with a cell phone recording it?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

I hope that record will never be broken. I guess you won a Gold on that one. bg

blackfoot griz

I did one a few weeks ago.   The parking lot looked wet. It was, with a thin layer of ice under the water. I landed flat on my butt & back and had the wind knocked out of me.  My cell phone body, back and battery went in 3 different directions.  I bounced up as fast as I could hoping that nobody noticed and gathered up the pieces of the phone. I can laugh about it now, but I always worry about my 79 YO mother slipping on the ice.

BBL, hope you get better quickly. Are you going to make yourself a commemorative sign?
"On Feb 9, 2014, a record face plant and slide combination occurred on this very spot. 32' 10"

JohnM

I'm sure it hurt, BBL, but it sounds kind of fun too. :D  Took a digger today myself.  Was cutting trees for firewood, stepped on what I thought was solid ground (snow covered), it wasn't. :o  Leg disappeared, tried to drop the saw away from me (it was running of course) and ended up flat on my back.  Only thing hurt was my pride. ::) ;D
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

justallan1

Sorry to hear of that, BBL.
I try to get out and get the cows fed as early as possible everyday and with this ice I'm starting to consider putting ice cleats over my Muck boots. I've found myself inspecting the underneath of my truck a couple times now opening and closing gates.

Allan

Warbird

Yikes.  That might even be a new Olympic record.  ;D  Glad yer okay.

Coon

The snow snakes are hard at work again.   :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Cedarman

BBL,  glad you are mending well with nothing broken. I have a good visual in my mind of the slide.
About a week ago I stepped on our bottom step which had about 2" of snow with some ice on top.  I thought I could crunch through the ice into the snow and get a good foothold.  My foot slid right off and down I went.  The back of my right hand hit the ice and scraped the skin off of 2 knuckles.  No bruises, and nothing else hurt except my son Ian was grading the drive and saw the whole thing.  AAARGH.  My next thought was of Kansas and how these things can turn disastrous.  Be careful out there.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

I watched the Olympics to see if you got the Gold, but I guess that bruised ego's don't count.  Glad that you did not break anything.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Nothing fun about the slips on ice, glad you did not break anything, and it seems you have great attitude about it.  Laughing always comes later, never could figure how when we slip and fall we go up in the air first,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

wheelinguy

Usually I'm good for a couple of solid falls on the ice in our driveway, seem to always land on my head.  I also have a record that i hope to never beat or repeat.  We have a long steep driveway and I was pulling a loaded dump trailer up thought I was going to make it!  Got right to the crest of the hill and broke traction, slid backwards uncontrollably for about 150 feet before the truck slid over the 8 foot bank.  Took a large tow truck, 3 snatch blocks and a couple extra spools of cable to get the entire mess back on the driveway. Nothing broken or bruised just the usual ego.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, I went dancing down a slope beside my house yesterday. Didn't fall but I threw my keys away. Lucky I found the hole int the snow where they went in and was able to find them.  :D

Glad you are bruised but not broken.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

21incher

Hope you heal quickly. It is funny how I never fall on level ground either.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

clww

Quote from: Magicman on February 14, 2014, 09:24:23 AM
I watched the Olympics to see if you got the Gold, but I guess that bruised ego's don't count.  Glad that you did not break anything.   :)
My first thought was how ironic that the Olympics are happening now, too! :D
Glad that there will not be anything permanently impaired. ;)
Anyone see you do your slide?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on February 14, 2014, 09:24:23 AM

x1
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Den Socling

This has nothing to do with a slide but a slip. If you are eating, you may not want to read this. Patti was horsing around with the dog and jumped through the shop door. Her feet slipped and she banged her thigh against the infeed rollers of a planer. It didn't get a normal bruise. It got something that looked like a bad boil. She got a round patch about 5" in diameter. It was red and swollen. In the center was a bump that looked like a boil. That turned black and I said it was time for a doctor. He had to lance it and drain the pus and dead blood. It was an infected bruise which I never heard of. Then he stuffed in the hole a strip of gauze. It had a plastic knob that hung out of her leg. She had to go into the shower the next morning and pull it out. It left a heck of a hole.

gspren

Quote from: justallan1 on February 13, 2014, 11:23:56 PM
Sorry to hear of that, BBL.
I try to get out and get the cows fed as early as possible everyday and with this ice I'm starting to consider putting ice cleats over my Muck boots. I've found myself inspecting the underneath of my truck a couple times now opening and closing gates.

Allan

I also have Muck boots that go to the barn, dog building and OWB every day and I have an older pair with no tread that I leave ice cleats on, some years hardly wear them and this year quite often.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Busy Beaver Lumber

I am fine. Thanks all of you for caring, and don't worry about laughing and poking fun. My Dad taught me the value of being able to laugh at yourself and the stupid things you do. I certainly expected a good ribbing when i posted it.

Leg is a little sore. Give it another week and I sure it will be good as new.

It was the funniest feeling when I started to slide down the driveway. Just kept saying to myself "I should come to a stop soon" but it never happened until i hit the street. Then came the fun part, getting back up the ice covered driveway. I hugged the side of the driveway and held on to the 6 foot tall, ice encrusted snow piles and inched my way back to the garage, then got my salt and threw about 10 pounds of it down. Sounded like Snap crackle and Pop cereal for the next few hours.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Den Socling

thecfarm

One of our ice storms,I went to get the paper,500 foot driveway. I get to the paper box,no paper,which did not upset me at all. Smart man staying home. My driveway was kinda rough so that manageable. I live on a hill,so like a dumbie I walk onto the road. All ice. I start sliding, and I am thinking,this is some smart,now what do I do? Somehow I made it to the side of the road,still up right and I have to walk up hill to the driveway. Took me a few steps,1 forward,2 back quite a few times,but I made it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Brucer

There hasn't been a winter yet where I didn't misjudge the weather and end up with a slick, icy driveway. Since my driveway is a quarter mile long and has 4 moderately steep hills on it, this can be a problem. So ... a couple of tips for people who don't see much of this.

1) Sawdust is your friend (providing you can get any  :D). I save old 33 pound dog food bags and fill them with sawdust for the winter. When any surface I need to walk on gets icy, I scatter a thin layer of sawdust on it.

2) Walk downhill with both your knees bent the whole time. I feels silly. You will look silly -- but nowhere near as silly as when you fall on your butt with your arms waving frantically. You are far less likely to slip, and if you do you are far more likely to recover your balance. If someone makes fun of you, just tell them it's the way martial artists walk ;D.

NOTE: sawdust is also great for getting that little extra bit of traction you need to get your vehicle rolling on ice. I've used it for my car and I've used it to get a semi moving.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

r.man

Brucer, the mill I am familiar with goes around with a loader shaking little bits of sawdust on the yard when it gets icy. Works well. I didn't know straight legging yourself in a hole was called a digger. Did it at a log pile about a week ago and worried as I went down that I was going to break my leg since I was falling sideways with my leg between logs at the time. We have had two deaths related to ice falls in our area so if you do go down try to keep your head up. Everything else will bruise and heal.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

John R

John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

Magicman

I hate it when the first thing that goes through your mine is "this is gonna hurt!!".   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Busy Beaver Lumber

Magicman

Don't imagine you deal with ice to much down south, other then the cubes in your drinks... :D

I keep talking Mrs. Beaver into moving south, but no luck yet. I cant even think about cutting wood. Still about 2 feet of snow everywhere and some drifts and piles way taller than that. I have 10 nice basswood sawlogs in the building now I am dying to mill, but mother nature is controlling my access.

Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
6 x 10 dump trailer
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Magicman

No, not many opportunities for ice falls, but I have taken some spectacular spills.   ;D

thecfarm

How right you are Magicman. I did not the other day with catching my foot on the edge of some wood I had piled.

ET

BBL, take it easy for several days, getting rid of all those bumps and bruises. It was 1 year ago on Jan 25th that I slipped on a small patch of ice, landing with my feet up 3 foot high, landing my large 6' 3" 245 lb frame squarely on my right hip. I also thought i would be fine, but after finding out after 2 MRI's that i tore my L5 disk from its nest and severly bruised my hip. I ended getting 3 months of therapy, 2 hip injections, and just now starting to get over it. Just be careful out there. Dr's are no fun.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

Thank You Sponsors!