iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Introduction

Started by thundercat, February 13, 2014, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercat

Hello, My name is George Seymour aka Thundercat a name which also applies to our 19 month old Clydesdale colt.When I joined back in oct. I gave no personnel background so here goes. I am 53 years old and 32years married to my high school sweetheart. I often say she is the last of the old fashioned girls, a great thing in my book. Like so many of you my life has taken some unusual and exiting turns.After high school it was drywall hanging and finishing for 10 yrs. followed by homebuilding for 10 yrs. then in 1999 we went into the auto sales business where my wife and to sons are today.I am fortunate enough to be able to take care of our farm,build shaker furniture,raise and train Llewellin Setters for bird hunting.I sometimes say I'm retired but actually stay very busy. In my first post I was contemplating the purchase of a manual mill, but realize now that would not be much fun. 20 plus years of walking on stilts and hard manual labor have left me in constant mild to moderate back and neck pain. not complaining for sure, I thank God for His grace and mercy in my life.Not crazy about  talking about myself so glad that's over. Now the reason for this post. I received a response from my oct. post from forum member Jim H. E-mailed him this past sat. with my phone #. He called later that same evening low and behold he is practically a neighbor, lives just 10 miles away. He invited me over Monday am. to demo his mill and even invited me to have a go,which I'm sure will result in yet another woodmizer sale in the near future. The more we talked he asked where our car store was then said that's where that 4-wheeler came from. would you believe that we had met 9 or 10 years ago briefly during a business transaction. it is indeed a small world. I really appreciated his hospitality to someone he thought a total stranger.Seems to be a great bunch of guys and gals here and enjoy reading and learning. Took me 40 mins.to type this, ninth grade typing class wasn't a joke after all! Thanks again for the insight and info thundercat.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

bandmiller2

Welcome mate, by all means save your back and other important parts and get a hydraulic mill. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

Sounds like you are living the dream. Good for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jmouton

Welcome to ff,,   thundercat

Jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Nomad

welcome Thundercat.  I'm working from a 9th grade typing class too.  (I was the only guy in it. ;D)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

yukon cornelius

welcome! it s amazing how nice and smart everyone is on here!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Jim H

George, I really enjoyed meeting you (again) and hope I can make time to get down to see your place before too long. If you think of any other questions just give me a call. As you've probably figured out this forum is a great place to learn about sawmilling and a bunch of other subjects. :)           Jim
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

redbeard

Welcome thunder cat nice intro you tell a good story! Look forward to reading your posts in the near future. I was back n forth on manual vs hydraulic mill and my former years in the building trades decided it for me.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

5quarter

Hi George...Thanks for the great intro. welcome to the forum.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishpharmer

Nice to have you Thundercat!  Welcome to FF!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

hardtailjohn

Welcome Thundercat! Good to hear we've got another Clyde owner on here!
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

schakey

Welcome Thundercat smiley_wavy glad that you are here. This is the best forum to be on, a great bunch of caring people that is always ready to help anyone with anything.
No story or post is too long,I like to hear about people,their lives and experiences.
Hope you get your mill soon and happy sawing smiley_thumbsup
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

SawyerBrown

Welcome, 'cat!  Sounds like you're VERY busy in "retirement". Hey, that's so much more fun and rewarding than wasting away on the beach in Florida!  Don't think you said whereabouts you hail from?
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

slider

Glad you found us thundercat.
al glenn

Seaman

Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

Magicman

I welcomed you back in October and it is nice to read your intro.   smiley_thumbsup

Hopefully your sawmill plans will develop and I am looking forward to seeing pictures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Hey Thundercat, Welcome again, in case I welcomed you last Fall!

When you pulled the first lever to start sawing, was most likely when you got hooked!  ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brian C.

Welcome Thundercat! This is a great place to learn and some of the friendliest group of people you will meet.

Thank You Sponsors!