iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw bar stud spacers

Started by David-L, February 13, 2014, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David-L

Where can I get some spacers to use a Sugi Hara 3/8 pitch, 58g 60DL hard tip bar on my 2159 Jonsered. The bar I bought knowingly was for older jonsereds. if I can make them a little advice on how would work to. i take it the older Jonsereds had larger bars studs. Thanks David.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

David-L

Guess i will have to figure this out on my own. Thought for sure someone has been through this before. Bought the bar cheap and hear they are excellent bars, I think maybe PAFaller uses them. i plan on using it for limbing on my next pine job.

david l

Al_Smith

If I get what you are saying you are attempting to mount a bar with a wider slot than the bar studs .If that's correct what you need is simply two spacer bushings ,tight fit on the studs wide enough to fill the bar slots .

They are basically just thick washers .Fact being I have a 36" Stihl 066 bar on a Homelite 2100S chainsaw .The
studs are 3/8" the bar slot 12 MM .

Now I did the work on a lathe ,simple enough. Cut-For-Fun AKA Kevin did the same thing using two nuts and a bunch of elbow grease with a file .Same results,they worked .

David-L

Thank You Al. Yes thats what I am up to, can't find any on the internet although theres talk of three different sizes. I will make some with a lathe like you.

David

67L36Driver

I make spacers using an extension spring from the local hardware store.  I have a lot of Homelite/Remington bars with 3/8" slot and cut 4-5 coils off a spring with roughly 5/16" inside daimeter and .030" music wire.  Make 'em fit Mac type mount (5/16" studs).

Drill new oiler holes if necessary.

Metric shouldn't be a problem.  Take your dial calipers with you shopping.
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

sharkey

Im make those spacers out of 3/8 inch metal fuel line.  Metal outside diameter 3/8 fuel line has an inside diameter of 5/16 in.  If you want to get fancy, when your done cutting off two small 1/4inch pieces, heat harden them.  Use a torch to bring the metal up to non magnetic red and them drop them into a cup of motor oil to cool.  These hold up well and slide right over the current bar studs.   

Al_Smith

Coincidently I also have some hydraulic tubing on hand just in case I need to make some spacers .

I get into it because some of my vintage saws it just becomes difficult to find good bars for .Stihl mounts are wide enough in the heel portion to adapt to about anything .Besides that fact they are easy to find where as say a 36" bar for a Mac 125 is not so easy to find .

SawTroll

The 2159 has the small Husky bar mount, which means that the oil holes need to be closer to the centerline of the bar than they likely are on that bar.
You need to rework the oil holes, as well as making suitable spacers/adaptors.

Imo, it is not worth the trouble.
Information collector.

David-L

Thanks all for the response. Saw troll , I believe you are right. After looking this over even with the right bar spacers things don't line up correctly. I will most likely by a Total 16" bar that fits. A friend gave me some loops of 60DL 3/8 58 , Ten to be exact and i am going to take advantage of free chain. the 2159 should spin good with a 16' bar for limbing pine. i will save this Sugi Hara bar for future use on an older saw someday, price was right. Thanks.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!