iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Dilemma

Started by SliverPicker, February 12, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

It'll only cost him $3100 to ship it back.
Yooper by trade.

loggah

I know if that guy that owned it before ever broke a part, or any of the driveline he knew what year the machine was just to replace the part. not sure on the older tree farmers but my 86  the first 2 numbers of the serial number were the year, and its stamped on the frame in the pivot area.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Reddog

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 18, 2014, 10:25:04 AM
It'll only cost him $3100 to ship it back.

If you have paid in full then no, you would need to return it at your cost for the refund.

If he is the lean holder on it then yes, he would need to start repossession filings to recover it. In which case he would need to cover those costs.

MEloggah

Silver, why in the heck wouldn't you want that machine? The year don't mean squat. Quite whining and go cut wood!

An no, those tires wouldn't be worth much to me. I would run tires chisled out of granite before I ever run an 18.4/34 ever again.

1270d

i must have missed the whining part

SliverPicker

I never said I didn't want the skidder.  I don't agree that the year doesn't mean anything.  There's 9 years of wear and tear that I didn't know about when I bought it.  This skidder has a finite life and I paid for 9 years worth that I'm not going to get.  This thing is going to be my sole source of income.  If I had know it was a 1976/77 I never would have bought it.  I'll keep it and run the wheels off of it, but I want a little refund since it is 9 years older than what the seller told me it was.

As far as hauling some wood; I will as soon as the snow melts.  Depending on elevation there is 4'-16' on the ground right now. 

I didn't think I was whining.  I just posted my dilemma here to get some different perspectives.  I'm glad I did.  I've learned something from every comment.

8)

Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Well SP, despite the let down, i do hope it works out well for you. Those deutz powered TF's really are sweet machines, and with a grapple and winch, that is one sweet setup, worth keeping around IMO, best of luck to you. Can't wait to see some action shots of it working!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jeff

Lets just hope your wife or girl friend hasn't slipped up on her age. This is a true story.   I should probably have gotten some sort of rebate out of my mom.. Turns out, that when the recorder of such records came around in the late 1920's to get caught up on the birthins, some how they goofed up my mom's and my aunt's birthdates.  Mom found out in her 50's she was actually a year older than what the records recorded.  We were deceived!   Seems it was quite common for such mistakes to be made when people were just living their life and doing the best they could do, until someone came around and demanded they put to record the things that some times we just don't find the need to commit to memory.    Seems like you got a decent machine and being older to those of us that have been around that stuff all of our lives is not a bad thing at all.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberlinetree

Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you have.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

Looks like a straight machine, Fix the issues and run it. I beleive that the quality of steel and castings and componentry goes downhill every year. look at it that way and you have won. Old well built iron waiting to be revived.
Jeff, My mother who still calls me all the time has been 85 for the last five years and she wont' take any other answer.
                                                   David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Dave Shepard

My great-grandfather was recorded as a girl on his birth certificate. :D

I guess you can be upset that it wasn't the year you thought it was. Return it for a full refund if you aren't happy about it.

Just because some thing is a certain year, doesn't mean it has that many hours of wear and tear. It's the hours that count. Also, 1,000 hours from a bad operator is like 4,000 from a good one. I have a 1968 International Loadstar 1800 with 6,200 miles on it. I think it's worn 6,200 miles, not 200,000 just because it's 46 years old.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SliverPicker

The drama factor here is actually quite low.  It may not sound that way when reading it here.

I'm keeping the machine.  The reason I originally posted this saga was to see from some of you guys with the stiff whiskers if the extra years are that big of a deal or not.  The consensus seems to be that its not that much of a concern.  I'm still mostly undecided on that.  I have reservations about parts availability going forward, but at this point it is what it is.

Thanks for all the input.  There's a ton of knowledge lurking behind these keyboards.

It looks like I may have a skid-only job starting this spring.  I should be able to pay this machine off in just a few months if things go well.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

SliverPicker, I can understand you being a bit miffed over this, but I think the bottom line is you got a solid machine that should serve you well. Those skidders didn't change much in those 10 years (obviously, or you would have known the year just looking at it). As others stated, 10 years of age doesn't necessarily mean 10 years of wear and tear, and I'll state again once machinery gets past a certain age value is entirely dependant on condition, not model year. My main concern would be the Cotta transfer case, but now in the age of the web, it may be easier to get parts for than it was 10 years ago. I've given my .02 twice now so that makes .04 :)
Too many irons in the fire

jwilly3879

Fellow I worked with in the 90's had a 1976 TF with 5 cylinder Deutz and 18.4x34's on it. Plate on machine said don't winch in 1st gear. The only problems he had was keeping planetaries in it. If they weren't breaking they were being stolen on the landing. That machine is still running and pulling wood.

SliverPicker

This one says not to winch in first gear also.
Yooper by trade.

rockwall

I like your attitude, "it is what it is."  or lately mine is " It will all work out."

SliverPicker

Quote from: jwilly3879 on February 20, 2014, 01:25:58 PM
Fellow I worked with in the 90's had a 1976 TF with 5 cylinder Deutz and 18.4x34's on it. Plate on machine said don't winch in 1st gear. The only problems he had was keeping planetaries in it. If they weren't breaking they were being stolen on the landing. That machine is still running and pulling wood.

Do you know which axles it had?
Yooper by trade.

Stephen Alford

Hey Silverpicker,is the "do not winch in first gear" posted on the transmission,transfer case or winch  ? I know you said you had the cotta 1610.  Wanted to mention that the reason the transfer case was taken out was to repair the brakes.  Working below the machine has always been a safety issue for me.

logon

barbender

I just modified my last post, where I wrote "skidders" my phone's auto spell changed it to "snuffers" ::) Just in case anyone was wondering what in the world I was talking about :)

rockwall

I like snuffers, I think I'll start calling skidders- snuffers! Hey is that a 230 or 240 snuffer? I have to get a new filter for my snuffer.

jwilly3879

I believe the axles said can-car on them but it was a long time ago. Hard to believe someone would steal them but they did leave the axle shafts. The last time we worked on them I stamped index marks on the covers and hubs and we did find the pieces but the police said that those marks were not enough to identify the parts so we were screwed. They said if those parts came up missing we would be arrested.

SliverPicker

Quote from: Stephen Alford on February 20, 2014, 08:49:55 PM
   Hey Silverpicker,is the "do not winch in first gear" posted on the transmission,transfer case or winch  ? I know you said you had the cotta 1610.  Wanted to mention that the reason the transfer case was taken out was to repair the brakes.  Working below the machine has always been a safety issue for me.

The " do not winch..." Is on the dashboard near the shifter.  It's a factory decal.

I have Can Car axles on this thing.  They have Rockwell logos cast into the housings.

You were talking about snuffers.  I thought maybe you worked for the mafia.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

I gotta turn that autospell off :D

SliverPicker

Talked to the seller today.  Got 'er dun.  I got a few bucks off and he still sold the skidder for a price befitting its condition.

Now if only this butt-cheek deep snow would run down the cricks and be gone.
Yooper by trade.

barbender

It sounds like it worked out well ;)

Thank You Sponsors!