iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Dilemma

Started by SliverPicker, February 12, 2014, 01:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

Chain her up, those tires will be just fine. A small grapple machine like that is a rare find for sure, like David said. I would much prefer the Duetz engine over a screaming Detroit, I haven't ran one in a skidder but my experience with them in other equipment is that they are trouble free fuel misers.
Too many irons in the fire

loggah

I never had any problems with the transmission ,clutch, or basically any driveline problems with my C6 i had. I did loose one front planetary ,but i was pushing a root, rock rake while that happened. I do know Tree Farmer said basically not to winch in low gear, im not sure if that created a transmission problem ,or a winch driveline problem. ;D Two things you should make sure work, the light switch that signals when your fan belt breaks, activated by a spring loaded idler pulley. The other one is the light that tells you the brake micro lock is on. A friend of mine who had  C6 and C7 tree farmer Skidders ,had two front shafts out of the transfer case broken because operators tried to take off with the disc parking brake on,twist the shaft right off !!!!! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

MEloggah

David that's a Beaty of a tj!

X2 on the tires. I've run far worse for far longer. Tight chains and go for it. We had a flat on the 640 wed. Broke down the sidewall right on the landing with the winch cable, three ratchet straps from the outside of the chain and had the old tube out, new one in and full of air in less then an hr. Those little 18.4/34s seem like a cake walk after wrestling around with 24.5/32s lol ever want to sell that TF lemme know!

Stephen Alford

Hey Loggah, when you say "not to winch in low gear" are you referring to the Can-ar or cotta transfer case ? or was the issue with a particular type of winch ? Thank-you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experiences. 
   If its any help I have had the transfer case out before. The easiest way for me working alone was to cut a circular hole in the roof using a plumb line then lowered  a chain through. Once it was lifted put a piece of plywood under it ,then danced it out the door. Put a gromit with some caulking when done. Truth be known there is a hole over the transmission as well.   :D  A friend of mine priced up a used awasso (tf42),3000 hours, perkins engine.....38000.00$   :-\   
logon

mad murdock

Nice TF for sure!! And deutz power to boot even better 8) I hope it works well for you. Should be a sweet machine.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

sandersen

Unfortunately there's an old saying in the law called "caveat emptor"  or... in english... "let buyer beware."  In other words, buyers purchase at their own risk.  But I hope it works out for you.
"Make every step count."

SliverPicker

I have a friend who is a long time cop.  He used to be a fraud investigator.  He says the law is on my side here.  It is the responsibility of the seller to accurately represent what it is he is selling.  That said I don't for one minute think the seller intentionally misstated the year of this skidder.  My only contention here is that when I was hunting for a machine I was dead set against getting a skidder that was older than a 1985.  If I had know it was a '76 or '77 I would not even have considered it.  Now I own it and I paid several $1000 too much.  I was dead set against anything older than an '85 because of potential issues concerning parts availability.

Loggah, thanks.  I will check both of those lights. The light for the micro lock is gone.  I might have to rig up a new one.  I've already taken off twice with the brake on.  It's a drum brake and it's out of adjustment so my drive shaft is still intact. ::)
Yooper by trade.

MEloggah

The  "year"  wouldn't scare me one bit on those tree farmers until you get down around 72ish. You cut a hole in the roof?!! :) a chain through the doors and across the canopy is how we have always done it. Too bad to butcher her all up.

sandersen

I think you hit on the key issue when you said the seller did not intend to deceive but truly didn't know himself...no intention means no fraud because that is what you  would have to prove for fraud.  The skidder itself looks real nice though.  The best bet might be to reason with him for a partial refund and appeal to his common decency...rather than talking about the law and fraud etc...which might put him on the defensive...kill him with kindness and let's hope he's a fair fella.  I just bought an old timberjack  and the seller said "he thought" it was a 1969 or 1970...turns out it was a 1966 230C.  Best of luck   
"Make every step count."

barbender

I honestly think you should have ran the serial #'s before you bought it, I don't know how much you paid but whether it is an '85 or '75 the price is usually dependent completely on condition with equipment that old.
Too many irons in the fire

Stephen Alford

MEloggah, I do not consider a 1& 1/2''dia hole cut with a hole saw "butcherin"  . I use an  overhead electric crane to manipulate  the removal.

logon

MEloggah

I pictured this being done on the landing since that's where I would have fixed it.  Ain't worth the trucking fees both ways to me. Figured it was done with cutting torches. Either way I still wouldn't have cut a hole in my canopy. IDE def patch that hole for sure though! After a rain or snow the last thing IDE want is nasty black water down my neck lol

loggah

The not winching in first gear was in a C6 with a 5 speed transmission, your c5 only has a 4 speed i believe ,so shouldn't be a problem. The drum brake will probably slip under power so your driveline may be safe. I know the disc breaks will twist the shaft!! :o I helped paul pull out his transfer case a few times and we just slung a chain over the cab ,and took it out with a chain hoist.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Reddog

Quote from: barbender on February 16, 2014, 12:43:53 PM
I honestly think you should have ran the serial #'s before you bought it, I don't know how much you paid but whether it is an '85 or '75 the price is usually dependent completely on condition with equipment that old.

Yup! 

tlandrum

if the skidder was mis represented on ebay then you have grounds for a full refund.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

MEloggah

You really should get your money back and hand him back the keys. That way I can buy it from him.

SliverPicker

Quote from: MEloggah on February 16, 2014, 07:06:31 PM
You really should get your money back and hand him back the keys. That way I can buy it from him.

:snowball: :D
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

I'm not accusing anyone of fraud.  I think words were put I'm my mouth there.

There is a 1977 TF for sale three hours from where I bought this one.  No grapple, but good tires.  353 and different axles.  It is listed for $6000 less than what I paid for a 1976.
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 17, 2014, 10:56:14 AM
I'm not accusing anyone of fraud.  I think words were put I'm my mouth there.

There is a 1977 TF for sale three hours from where I bought this one.  No grapple, but good tires.  353 and different axles.  It is listed for $6000 less than what I paid for a 1976.
Not really a apples to apples comparison, IMO, the grapple on yours is worth a fair bit more than the straight cable machine.  Unless of course the grapple and associated hydraulics were in a serious state of disrepair.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

MEloggah

Not to mention the duetz!!

SliverPicker

Don't you think the tires are worth more than the grapple?  I've found a few (4) Escos for sale complete for $2500-3000.  50% tires are worth more than that.  No?  Of course there's the Duetz to consider too.

Anyway, I am waiting on Cotta to tell me the year of the transfer case then I will call the seller again.
Yooper by trade.

Reddog

You do realize back in that time frame there was no "Just in time Deliveries" in manufacturing.

Stuff sat in inventory or transit for years until it was used up. So any build date you find for the sub parts are just that for the parts not the machine.

Also equipment doesn't have titles. So if referencing a year it is the year it was sold, not built.

You would need to find a Dealer record of when the machine was sold new.

SliverPicker

I understand what you are saying, but the components are 9 years older than what they where sold as.  The machine certainly didn't sit in a dealer's lot for 9 years before being sold.  9 years in the life of a skidder can be a lot of years.

Besides just-in-time manufacturing existed back then as well.  Time always has been money.  I couldn't tell you if j-i-t was used with Tree Farmer skidders.  Maybe not.
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

I just got an email from Cotta.  The transfer case was manufactured in January of 1974.
Yooper by trade.

Reddog

Well are you ready for when the seller tells you to return the skidder?

Thank You Sponsors!