iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painted tools

Started by bandmiller2, February 12, 2014, 08:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I used to paint tools with some gawdawful color like lizard green no self respecting thief would swipe them and it made them easy to find. Same reason I'd buy plain black wrenches. Probibly told this story before but when I was young I worked in a truck garage. We had a flat long handled shovel to pick up speedy dry, they would disappear weekly someone would grab it to shovel out their car and throw it in. Next new shovel I cut 18" off the new handle boss had a hissy fit. I told him Ed that shovel will be here when you retire, and it was. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Most all of my tools have a turn or patch of 3M fluorescent orange tape.  Easily identified and also shows up with a flashlight in the dark.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

If I was sawing at a customers place I would have all my tools painted. I had a brother that would come over and work on his car,everything we used was his when he went home.  ::) Just about as easy to tell him to leave his tools home,we'll use mine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LittleJohn

All my woods tools have PINK handles
Dad has yellow
Grandfather has white

NOTE: I also carry a can of pink spray paint just in case  :D :D

chet

A semi local contractor has all of his equipment painted pink. Pretty hard ta get away stealing his stuff. Ya got ta smile though when ya see a hot pink gravel train, or a big burly construction worker on a hot pink D8.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sablatnic

I work at a New Holland dealer, and have painted my tools John Deere green. They are left alone, or if borrowed, returned as soon as possible!

deerslayer

Paint is a useful id for stuff. I use red vinyl tape to mark all my yard type tools such as shovels, rakes, machetes, hammers, etc. Helps with ID and with location. The fluorescent tape sounds good but I'm a cheapskate.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

luvmexfood

Going to try the blue paint on my tools. Painted some red but when the fall leaves were on the ground they blended right in. Lost a pair of skidding tongs. Knew with in 20 ft. where they probably were. Looked and looked. Got to be an obsession. Took a rake and raked the area. Finally took back a square point shovel and kept jabbing in ground. Lots of rock in area so several false alarms. Finally found them. Bet I looked 6 or 7 times but they had gotten buried when I pulled a log over them.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Magicman on February 12, 2014, 08:53:17 AM
Most all of my tools have a turn or patch of 3M fluorescent orange tape.  Easily identified and also shows up with a flashlight in the dark.   ;D

Since I started using hot pink tape I have not lost a tool.   8)

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Thank You Sponsors!