iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tire chain sizes

Started by timberlinetree, February 12, 2014, 05:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberlinetree

Just wondering if 18.4x26 chains will fit 23.1x26 tires? I'm swamp logging but not getting muddy :) love this weather but the machines are a little cranky in the morning. :) I'm hopeing  that they will fit decking logs w/out chains is almost impossible and driving me crazy! Thanks
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

David-L

It's getting tuff without chains now, got stuck pulling the forestry trailer yesterday with a 100 hp 4wd tractor. through the snow is icy frozen ground. I don''t know about going 18.4 to 23.1. might be tight. I have gone 23.1 to 18.4 and had to do some clevis work.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Ed_K

If you have holes in your rims you could maybe do it by tying the side chains thru the rims. I think you'll find the cross links won't be long enough.
Ed K

240b

if your 23.1 tires are worn out yeah, the width will work, but they are going to be way to short..

240b

18.4x34 chains will fit 23.1x26 tires

timberlinetree

Thanks for your help but don't understand . Thought  that the 26 part was rim size and all ...x26 would fit around the tire. The other number is the with of the tire.I'm surprised that 18.4x26 won't work but 18.4x34 will. Maybe I should have been paying attention in math class instead of looking out the window :D. We did get a message from someone that might help us out with some 18.4x34 chains!made our day that someone is taking the time to help us and for everyone's replies. Have a safe day!

chevytaHOE5674

the x26 is the rim size. But there is nothing in a tractor/skidder tires dimensions that gives you the height. You have to go to a chart to give you that information.

An 18.4x26 tire is 57" tall.
A   18.4x34 tire is 65" tall.

240b

check out the Firestone tire tire Ag book. lots of tire info.. sizes etc...  its at there web site

Maine logger88

I think that its 16.9/30are interchangeable with 18.4/26 and 18.4/34 are interchangeable with 23.1/26
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

PAFaller

Maine Logger is right. If you have 23.1-26 tires you need that size chain. If you go with a ring chain spend the extra money and get tight rings. The standard or economy ring style has a pretty good gap between the rings and on hard ground they ride stupidly rough. Put rings on the front and studs on the back that TJ will go like a little Sherman tank!
It ain't easy...

timberlinetree

Thanks so much for your help. Now i understand :laugh: Good luck to all!

tj240

Quote from: timberlinetree on February 12, 2014, 05:35:01 AM
Just wondering if 18.4x26 chains will fit 23.1x26 tires? I'm swamp logging but not getting muddy :) love this weather but the machines are a little cranky in the morning. :) I'm hopeing  that they will fit decking logs w/out chains is almost impossible and driving me crazy! Thanks
yes the chains will fit. 18.4 34 will go on 23.1 26 but the other way the 23s will walk
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

deutz4

Our 23.1x26's are 4 years old and have no slack left for takeup. Next year they need to be shortened. It scares me to cut a section out and then hope that the ends are close enough to meet!

timberlinetree

The chains are really helping out :).from snow and ice to mud.

Thank You Sponsors!