iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It is reported that Gold miners are leaving Alaska in droves...

Started by oklalogdog, February 11, 2014, 11:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oklalogdog

They are coming to the lower 48 to dig for propane.  Seriously - Propane has gone up over $2.00 a gallon here in Oklahoma in the last month.  It is now at $5.00 per gallon - the last we bought 1 month ago was $2.25 per gallon.  Anybody else had this experience or is this just in good old Oklahoma?
Amateurs built the Ark - Professionals built the Titanic

TK 2000, TK 1220, Belsaw M14, John Deere 7610 with loader, Ford 9N.

LaneC

Man makes plans and God smiles

Cord-n-8R

I went to buy a little 1 lb cylinder for a propane torch the other day... 6 bucks... no thanks! :-\ I'll find another way!

ND rancher

We had to fill the house after the 1st of Jan. and it was $2.15, last week I checked my barn and found my gauge was not working and had to put some in at $3.99! If I would of known that last month I could of saved a bunch! They say it's starting to fall, so I hope next time we need some it's below $2.00. 
TimberKing B-20.  Have been bitten by the bug! Loving life !

Wellmud

Its been one of the coldest winters here that I can remember and propane has doubled or more just like at holiday time or vacation season gas seams to spike up. Last week my future son in law let the propane tank run out and they charged him $200.00 extra on top of the high propane just to come on a non route day, in my mind thats not much different than just stealing your money.
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

terry f

Is it the middle man setting the prices, to gouge the local area?

mesquite buckeye

Good old supply and demand curve.

Shortages lead to high prices and increased supply eventually, surpluses lead to low prices and reduced future supplies.

I think I would be glad you can get any at all with the high consumption levels. All resources are limited in nature, especially fossil fuels. They don't accumulate all that fast in the planet's crust. The take home lesson here is that if you have large price fluctuations and a storable resource, buy a lot when it is cheap and wait until you need it. ;D

Of course next winter could be a mild one. I wouldn't count on that though. The last series of cold years in the late 60's lasted into the 80's.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Windy_Acres

Last year, winter broke late, they planted late, and dried allot of corn fall of 2013 because it was wet. Weve had a significantly cooler than average winter (more demand), and we flat consumed, more than has been been made. The high water mark locally that I know of was $7  last week, 100 gallon max restriction.

Best I know, its supply and demand. The underground reservoirs are basically empty, and they are trucking it up north from Texas as well.

Ive got 2k gallons on hand for the house/shop, Im good till 2016 if I want, with no supplemental heat. There is a reason I keep 4 times that average household in this part of the country... ;)

I buy my gas July or August on contract and buy about 50% more than we consume, so I have a credit in the spring. I paid $1.50 something last year.

rocksnstumps

Just found the slip shoved in the door this afternoon from the autofill option with the local propane dealer. $3.70/gal. When I had filled in early Dec it was $1.89/gal. Paid more for propane use the last two months than I did for all of last year! Course last year I caught the prebuy during the summer at a good time. Missed it this year and gotta pay whatever they want... :(

Looks like they didn't limit the amount tho, filled to 80% as usual (here in NE Wisconsin)

Red Good

My bud that has the propane car , motorcycle , lawn mower  got a big tank just for that reason , buys in the middle of summer and volume . I think just over a 1.25 on 5000 gallons . Bugger . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Thank You Sponsors!