iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS 660 R Clutch question

Started by Lorenzo, February 11, 2014, 08:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorenzo

I bought a used Stihl MS660R and as soon as I had a chance I took a few things apart to clean and inspect just to get an idea of its condition.  The saw looks Very clean and dosen't show much use at all.

The only thing I noticed was that the clutch has some Blueing on the outer edge's. Is that an indication it was ran with the brake engaged? Why would that have happened?  What else could it be?

ZeroJunk

I guess you are talking about the drum. They could have tried to get it to spool up with the brake engaged, or got hung up in the cut and kept trying to get it spinning again. They will discolor some from normal use. I wouldn't worry about it.

Lorenzo

The drum looks fine , I'm referring to this.

ZeroJunk

Well, the cause is still the same. Putting too much pressure on the saw, or too long of a bar, and getting hung up in the cut repeatedly will do that in a few minutes.

sablatnic

That is absolutely fine!
As long as the springs haven't stretched, you are fine, and if they stretches, just change them.

Ianab

Yeah, it should be fine. It's obviously gotten a little hot at some point, and if you where to keep doing that, it's going to burn out pretty quick. Either the clutch plates will wear out, and then the chain wont spin under load. Or the springs will get too hot, loose tension, and then the chain wont stop spinning at idle.

But as it is, if it it's still operating normally, then it should have plenty of life left in it.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Lorenzo

Thanks Guys, It runs great and doesn't seam to have any ill effects from what ever happened to it. The chain break works fine  so I guess I wont worry about it. Saw is 6 months old and I bought it used so I don't know who did what with it.

deerslayer

Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

joe_indi

That blueing is not continuous but random. Correct?
If that is the case it is not due to too much of feed pressure.
This could happen with rakers filed too low in comination with over tensioned chain.
Each time a cutter bites into the wood, the lowered raker allows the cutter to move too much into the wood, causing a jerk, which causes the clutch drum to slip a bit .This happens with all the cutters on a chain, it is a 'Catch-Release' action which causes friction on the clutch on random spots.

Lorenzo

That's interesting , Thanks for that idea, I bought it without a bar or chain so I wont be able to verify that theory.

You might be spot on , 

Thank You Sponsors!