iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Truck Road Video

Started by jwilly3879, February 11, 2014, 06:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwilly3879

I made this video so the landowners wife could take a ride to the upper landing on the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKh3qh946KA&feature=youtu.be

beenthere

Nice, beautiful ride...  thanks for taking us along.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jwilly3879

You're welcome. The LO's wife hasn't been able to get to the job but he has been here many times, not in the winter though.

Magicman

Thanks for the ride.  I also had a Grandson watching.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CCC4

Looked like some fun timber to play in! Nice video! Thanks for sharing!

sawguy21

I miss doing that. Beautiful day in the woods.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HiTech

Thanks for the ride. Some nice timber also.

Maine logger88

Nice video! How far is the landing from the main road? Is that all the same tract of land as your cutting on?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mudhog

jwilly3879,
Thanks for the ride, nice video, nice timber, good for the soul, Down this way the land is pretty flat, not much contour, flat and damp to wet. Thanks again for allowing us to ride along.

jimmy
Doing the right thing might not be easy,but it's always right.

Ask, Seek, Knock

jwilly3879

It is .6 miles from the pavement to the landing and everything on the left side of the road is the lot we are cutting. The entire lot is 478 acres and we have finished 43 and another 10 acre parcel that is surrounded by this lot. The 10 acre lot turned out just shy of 100,00bf of pine. The whole 478 was estimated in 2004 to have 1.2 million feet of pine. In 2005 another outfit cut 240,000 feet off 50 acres in one of the ugliest jobs I have ever seen. Took me 6 years to convince the LO to give us a chance and he and the forester love the work being done.

Maine logger88

That sounds like a nice lot to have! Around here those 4 to 5 hundred acre lots are few and far between are you cutting the whole lot? I always like it when the landing is always off the paved road less people snooping around

jwilly3879

The plan is to do the whole thing, it will be awhile, we usually only work weekends, my son works a full time job and I am sort of retired. I stay pretty busy flagging skid roads and working with the forester and LO as well as keeping the sorts on the landing straightened out for the truckers.

Maine logger88

What does your son do for work if you don't mind me asking? Its nice that you have 3 generations of family out there working together, me my father and grandfather all work together I own the skidders and they both own trucks and haul my wood plus haul for others and in the summer they do earthwork. My grandfather is 73 and still hauls 5 or 6 load a week in the winter

jwilly3879

He is now working for an excavating and land clearing outfit. His primary job is slashing logs and passing the tops to the chipper and handcutting the stuff too big for the buncher. He also runs excavator and coordinates equipment doe the jobs. They also do subcontract cutting and chipping/grinding.

Autocar

Get back in there and have a wind storm come along you would be cutting for a day or two to get back on the main road  :D.
Bill

pine

Looks like a very nice stand of timber waiting to be harvested.

Ken

Thanks for posting the video.  Looks like nice timber to work in.  The roadway looks like it could be a real problem if you get large snow storms, high winds or rain in the winter.  Like many of the older woodlot roads around here old bulldozer built roads are not always truck friendly. 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

jwilly3879

The hill right before the first landing is a little tight, it's an old town road dating back to the 1800's. The fellow on the lot to the right has a TJ 450 grapple and barely fits through. It's also a pain to get the snow out of the chute. Last storm we pushed some of the banks back so the plow on the truck had somewhere to dump the snow, otherwise it just keeps falling back in the road.

jwilly3879

Here's some other shot on the road. This was last fall.

This is the water over the road in January

Thank You Sponsors!