iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A lil warm up?

Started by drobertson, February 11, 2014, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

It has been cold, and snowy here, and I found no better time to get rid of some worthless pine slabs, so with the help of a TSI burner, we took care of some of the bundles, just hope it helps to warm up some folks like it did us,    david

it was warm, and safe, 8 bundles gone, and that is a good thing,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dblair

that's what I do with mine . I take them down the bottom by the creek wait for wet or snowy weather pore a little kerosene on the pile and let it roar for about 2 days .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

red oaks lumber

why take them by a creek? that dosent seem very good :(
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

SquareG

I'm surprised pine slabs don't have some value for barn chips?  Some are piled up where I take sycamore tops.

thecfarm

That is only a small pile burning. Yes, there maybe money in barn chips,but most want a trailer truck load at a time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

the oak go to the charcoal kilns, they stopped buying pine a few years ago, none the less, a good day to get rid of them, it was around 18 degrees at the time, sure felt good!  Now you folks up north? this probably did no good at all  ;D  been there during Christmas,  just brutal!  Maybe one day we can be on a beach and 75! :D
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Warmer days are coming.  Wish there were some way to bring all that heat from the burning piles inside.  Next time you burn slabs, give me a call.  I'll bring the marshmallows.  (thinking food again).  Never thought I'd be looking forward to mud season!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

drobertson

Howdy dave, I went ahead and burnt 5 more last evening, man it is a pile of coals for sure,  glad to get these gone,   david

yukon cornelius

its going to be a nice day for most of us here in the lower part of mo. better get all that burnt off before the snow is gone. I cant wait to get out and get my mill uncovered.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

drobertson

Yea the snow is melting rather quickly here,  I just hope the coal bed burns down before the sw winds start to pick up.  I was starting to get into the mud yesterday as well.

Magicman

We are sopping wet here so no sawing for sure.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.  SYP slabs go up in smoke.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

well I guess the Missouri warm up is over, for now. sure seemed like a short summer haha! one warm day and back to cold.

yukon cornelius

why don't you burn some more of those slabs. it seemed to warm it up all the way up here!

drobertson

Not a bad idea :D  bout as close to freezing rain as it can get, and the lift starter switch went out!  I'm stuck outside in the cold muck,,

yukon cornelius

Coon

drobertson, you have a screwdriver don't you? Short across the starter and fire that bad girl up the fire needs stoked again.... we may even feel some of that warmth up here the winds be blowin the right direction for a change.  :D   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

RPowers

Quote from: drobertson on February 11, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
the oak go to the charcoal kilns,...

What do they pay for oak slabs? There is a charcoal kiln in our area, I never though about saving slabs for them.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Cedarman

Anyone looked into making Biochar?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

drobertson

Quote from: RPowers on February 15, 2014, 02:28:37 PM
Quote from: drobertson on February 11, 2014, 07:14:36 PM
the oak go to the charcoal kilns,...

What do they pay for oak slabs? There is a charcoal kiln in our area, I never though about saving slabs for them.
25$ a bundle, green, apprx. weight 3500lbs/bundle.   david

drobertson

Quote from: Coon on February 14, 2014, 01:44:54 PM
drobertson, you have a screwdriver don't you? Short across the starter and fire that bad girl up the fire needs stoked again.... we may even feel some of that warmth up here the winds be blowin the right direction for a change.  :D   :D
The lift had a bad circuit breaker after the starter, It would turn over but no juice to the fuel pump. got it today, and it's still cold, and mucky,   david

Thank You Sponsors!