iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

almost out of wood for the year!

Started by Tom L, February 11, 2014, 02:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

end of the summer 2013 I looked at my wood pile all in these nice 1/4 cord boxes and thought I had enough for 2 yrs. now I am down to my last box , had to put the last box of wood in my kiln over the weekend and get it in shape for burning, should be out of there by the end of the week. the weather here like the rest of the country has been out of control. almost 4 cords this winter where we usually burn only 2. I know this is not a huge quantity of wood, most people in the rest of the country would laugh at me,  one friend of mine in quebec uses 25 cords a year, but for me more than twice the normal amount. anyone else burning more than 2x normal?

OneWithWood

Not quite 2x more but definitely enough more that I too am running out.  Looks like I will be out cutting and splitting tomorrow and everyday until spring...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

beenthere

Not twice the normal, but running about 20-30% more than the last 10 years average (since upgrading all the windows in the house).
Have been heating both levels of a 1400 sqft home and up to this year right at 4 full cords per year. This year, have 5 cords (seasoned two years) and only about 2 cords left.

So getting only 4 weeks heating per cord, compared to previous winters' at 5 weeks per cord.
Beats the heck out of burning propane for heat.

Snow too deep in the woods to go in after firewood, so hope that spring comes early (which means a lot of snow melting and potential flooding down stream).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

goose63

I am going through a lot more than normal I fill this bucket every 4 days

and my house is olny 6 years old and not that big
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

SwampDonkey

I've probably gone through an extra cord and a half, good thing I had 9 cord down. But I blame the consumption on something dumb I did, had the damper set too high with the chain to the control. Sucked too much air, thus wood. Corrected that and consumption is back to normal rates, 6-7 hours on 3-4 sticks instead of 4 hours. Makes a big difference. And no I'm not burning a smouldery fire and my wood is burning completely, just not as rapid. I still have part of a cord outside if I need it in April.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

I just came in from getting some more wood. It was just about all dead standing wood. I cut 2 cedars,one was dead and one was just about. I left the top for the deer. That will be gone by morning.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I've been through a bunch of wood this season.  Twenty six face cord was a mix of red and white pine, popple, basswood, with some soft maple and yellow birch mixed in for night.  It was supposed to last from the middle of December to the 1st of March.  Missed that by a month.  Glad I'm in the firewood business.  We've been burning about two face cords per week of green sugar maple keeping 3,000 square feet warm.  I'm ready for some warner weather.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

martyinmi

I THINK I went through about 5 1/2 full cords last year. I've just hit the 6 cord mark already last week. It looks like I'm on pace to go through between 9 and 10 for the winter.
On the plus side, I've still got at least 25 cords all bucked up and ready to split and stack about 50' from the boiler.
Another plus- we should hit 32 degrees at least once in the next 7 days!
32 degrees, that's swimsuit weather, right? :D :D :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

chevytaHOE5674

I have about 4 more weeks worth cut split and stacked from over the summer. I spent one day last week pushing a road into the woods with the tractor. Now the ground is froze UP good and solid so I've been cutting a 4x8 trailer load of green popple everyday and burning it right away. Figure I will just keep cutting until it thaws out and I can't get into the field.

pasbuild

Had another 10 cord delivered last Friday, the first load would have lasted longer had I not pulled about thirty logs out to saw :D the plus side to that was I got more then enough Red Oak lumber out of it to pay for the load, the down side is I am now cutting off the pile and feeding the stove GREEN wood, not the best but were warm :D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Dave Shepard

I was using about 30 cu ft every two days in early Jan. to sort of stay warm and no domestic hot water. I've been on oil for a few weeks, and will be until the end of the month. Almost 10 gallons a day. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

I've still got lots of wood in the shop, not all kinds of wood, but 5-6 sticks a day from 1-1/2 cord pile lasts a long time. And surprising that old stove still holds coals all night long until 8 am when I get back down for the next day.  :)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DaleK

I still have lots for myself but can't keep up with demand to sell. Price is now up to $325 here and probably $350 by the weekend and a lot of people are getting taken with loads of fresh green wood at that.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

OH Boy

I'm like TomL and usually burn about two cords, and have gone through my pile this winter already using about 4 cords, though its hard to keep track when I am out cutting every weekend now just for the next weeks wood. Dropping mostly dead elms and cutting and splitting to load onto the porch, then do it again. I hate to hear the furnace kick on and we only let the fire go out at night, and have been burning every day since October. definitely a harder winter here than the last 5 or 6.

Ken

It was painfully obvious in the spring of 2013 that I had been far too lazy the previous fall ::).  The firewood pile was disappearing fast which led to cutbacks on the thermostat.  I did not make that mistake twice :P  It will have to stay cold well into the summer for me to run out this year.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

John Vander

Firewood is pretty expensive here in Japan. 4 square feet of hardwood sells at 117 US Dollars!
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Firewoodjoe

I've burnt about 30-40% more. 2 face cord a week when it was real cold. -10 to -15 below weeks.  There's not much wood for people around here to buy. They call daily. I turn them down and I don't know what they do for heat!

SwampDonkey

There's always the woodshed, then the furniture. ;D

wood monger

I'm almost out of wood and we still have a few months of heating to go. I have a few dead standing ash on the property I can knock down and buck up. Just been too dang cold and the snow is pretty deep to get after them. We're supposed to get a couple of warmer days beginning of next week, hopefully i can get after them then.

thecfarm

John,is my math wrong? 4 square feet is a half cord? $117 so a cord,4 feet by 8 feet would be $234. I've seen dry wood go for $250
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DDDfarmer

Burning a lot more than usual and have quit trying to keep track.  Dad started his stove late as he was away for last half of Sept and early Oct and his woodshed is empty now, and it should last the winter.

That bucket looks like it might fill my furnace,  maybe once  :D
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

gspren

Quote from: thecfarm on February 11, 2014, 08:53:05 PM
John,is my math wrong? 4 square feet is a half cord? $117 so a cord,4 feet by 8 feet would be $234. I've seen dry wood go for $250

Square feet don't tell you anything, 16 cubic feet would be 1/8 of a cord.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

pineywoods

I've just about gone through 2 cords so far, that's about twice my normal usage, and I'm in the deep south. Have a bunch of dry pine to fall back on if I run out of split oak..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

I should of known my math would be wrong.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!