iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

648 gelling

Started by timberjack 450, February 11, 2014, 06:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberjack 450

Well the 648 that I've owned for just 3 weeks won't run. I started it right up and let it run for 1/2 hour. Started in the woods and she quit. I am getting new filters today and hopefully it will come alive. I run power service, the white bottle in the 300 gal tank when it is filled. I dumped 911 in it yesterday but it's not gonna circulate when it's not running. I was told years ago to use 10 % gas in the tank. Anyone here have an opinion on that. And also does anyone run the heated filters? The skidder is a 05 648G3
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

OntarioAl

timberjack 450
I would not use gasoline to thin the fuel I would use kerosene. You may be victim of crud in the tank (several posts this winter dealing with fuel troubles) only sure cure is to drain the tank.
Hope this helps
Al
Al Raman

HiTech

Power Service or 911 will travel through the fuel system whether the machine is running or not. Even including filters. That stuff is amazing. I know there are Cowboys out there that would never in 5 lifetimes use any of that crap, but I am here to tell ya it works...and *DanG fast also. I run straight, uncut diesel year round. No power in that kerosene and motors run hotter with it in the tanks.

loggerboy9325

New filters should cure the problem put some 911 in the filters also. Like stated above you could mix kerosene with ur fuel

SquareG

I only been logging for a year, but have enough of experience with fuel.  It's gets little colder there I know but here goes.  I have never gotten a clogged filter unclogged or even partially recovered with 911.  Diesel gels at -60.  Truck stops move alot of howes, some PS I guess, here.  I treat the fuel year around to prevent MOISTURE CONDENSATION IN THE TANK, dissolve wax to save filters, and lubricate upper cylinder because they took the sulfer out, clean injectors.  Heed the warnings about overrate treating, I think I've damaged some fuel hoses and orings.  I understand things are likely different there, maybe use #1 fuel, IDK.  -20 is record cold here.  Good luck!

coxy

Quote from: HiTech on February 11, 2014, 11:07:12 PM
Power Service or 911 will travel through the fuel system whether the machine is running or not. Even including filters. That stuff is amazing. I know there are Cowboys out there that would never in 5 lifetimes use any of that crap, but I am here to tell ya it works...and *DanG fast also. I run straight, uncut diesel year round. No power in that kerosene and motors run hotter with it in the tanks.
your wright never never never would I run that    in my stuff    and no power in kero ??? that's a new one to me ;D

Dave Shepard

What do you have against additives? Fuels have been a concoction of all sorts of different things over the years. Who knows what the additive packages are right from the distributor? Mobil has advertised that their additive package doesn't require cutting in the winter with kerosene. What is in their fuel? I can see not adding some unknown snake oil to your fuel, but Power Service, Howes or any of those aren't going to hurt anything.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

coxy

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 12, 2014, 07:51:51 PM
What do you have against additives? Fuels have been a concoction of all sorts of different things over the years. Who knows what the additive packages are right from the distributor? Mobil has advertised that their additive package doesn't require cutting in the winter with kerosene. What is in their fuel? I can see not adding some unknown snake oil to your fuel, but Power Service, Howes or any of those aren't going to hurt anything.
ok  lets say joe the head guy puts additive to his fuel then sells it to bob bob puts more in it       then he sells it to you then you put even more in it don't you think its going to do any harm to any thing  ???   that's what happened to me 11 years ago the pump went  the next day on the skidder  and 2 days later the dozer   all after my dad put 911 in the fuel tank on the truck  just seems odd that both went a few days after that    was put in the fuel   that's why I don't use any of it any more jmop

SquareG

911 is not a diesel fuel additive, I have tried to use it to get to an auto parts for a new filter, it will not MELT ICE in my experience, putting 911 in the bulk tank for continuous use is not per it's label the way I remember, but I don't live in alaska

HiTech

I guess to each his own...that is what makes the World Go Round. All I know is when my truck or piece of equipment happens to stop and won't restart, I pour a little Power Service in the tank and wait a few minutes and then turn the key. It starts and sputters for a few seconds but then is good to go. One time I stopped when I saw a tractor-trailer pulled off the side of the road late one night. I asked if he had troubles and he said his fuel gelled up. He was trying to get someone but no phone reception. I asked him if he had any Power Service? He told me he never used any. I had enough to treat both his tanks and asked if he wanted to try it, and told me to go ahead. I told him to wait a few minutes before trying to start. He told me he would have to change fuel filters. I told him to try it without changing them. He tried it and it started an stalled. It did this a couple times then it took off. He couldn't believe it. I have had a bottle or two of 911 but mostly I use Power Service. Why change what works.

Mark K

I run the white bottle power service faithfully. Carry 911 to. We've had one of the coldest winters in a long time. I have yet to gel up. Last year I gelled up once, bad fuel. Dumped 911 in the tank. Pulled the filters and dumped it in. Let it sit for a bit and pumped the primer pump to build pressure.  Started hard but started. In the 14 years I've been in the woods its worked for me. As Hi-tech said, why change.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

MEloggah

If it didn't start due to ice in the tank and/or fuel lines IDE drain the tank and then chase every line un hooking them and making sure you can blow through them and they are clear including the return line back to the tank. Just cuz it thaws out and will start up maybe even run a few days doesn't mean the water is gone. It will do it again. I have lost 1800.00 standadyne injection pumps that way before. The run at enough pain the pump where if one injector is plugged it can snap those shafts off so fast. It prob has a tank drain, stand pipe style in the tank. Pull that teat her every night before you go home to drain all the water/condensation that's left in the tank. I also run 50/50 kerosene and diesel in the winter.

David-L

Preventative maintenance is always the best. i drain my tank a little bit all the time. No issues with fuel during this winter and have only cut my fuel with Heet "red bottle" every other tank and in those minus temps ran a 1/2 rate of power service red 911.One of the reasons I went back to a Detroit is the injection pump is a no maintenance pump.
                                       David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

timberjack 450

Thanks for all the replies. Finally got her back running. A combination of bad filters and a fitting on the primary filter housing was stripped and sucking air. I put a new housing and fitting on. I even bought a fuel heater from JD for the primary. It screws into the top of the housing. It was only $160. Cheap insurance I figure. Also I had to go to a well known shop in Albany to get the fitting. They rebuild pumps, injectors and turbos. The owner told me 911 is horrible on the pump. So use it sparingly. The power service in the white bottle is fine, has lubricants in it. I know the 911 wiped out all the o rings on my injector lines. Hopefully no more problems, sick of this winter .   
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

SquareG

Quote from: timberjack 450 on February 18, 2014, 05:44:41 AM
The owner told me 911 is horrible on the pump.   

Yes, 911 or heat is a rescue treatment for when fuel was not regularly treated.  I didn't know PS had lubricants in it either.

Edit:  as far as moisture is concerned

shannon

MEloggah

Remember the furl on john deeres is what lubes the shaft in the injection pump. No oil line for lube. Kerosene can sometime ruin a standadyne j.d. Pump along with some fuel additives. I only run standadyne fuel conditioner and sparingly.

Thank You Sponsors!