iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood ID...Locust, Ash or Trash?

Started by ReggieT, February 11, 2014, 05:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Just got this pic from a friend...who is confused about what kind of wood this is.
I really need to add to my declining wood stash...

The pics are not the greatest, but most of you guys have been doing a lot longer than I have...what does it look like to you? ???

Thanks,
Reg

SwampDonkey

The one over the hood there might be walnut, looks nice and brown with a narrow ring of sapwood. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Black locust always has a very narrow sap ring, only a couple of growth rings at most.  Definitely not ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The tops I see are all hauled off, but if they were black locust like any up here, they are thorny beasts. Could very well be locust. But hard to tell anything  definite when your 30 feet from the wood and snapping pictures. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ReggieT

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 11, 2014, 10:36:10 AM
The tops I see are all hauled off, but if they were black locust like any up here, they are thorny beasts. Could very well be locust. But hard to tell anything  definite when your 30 feet from the wood and snapping pictures. :D

:snowball:Hmm...starting to suspect Elm of some sort...

Ranger McGregor

Looks like Black Locust to me. Very deep grooved bark, definitely not ash as the ashes all have bark that look like "corduroy pants" and is definitely not as defined and deep as black locust. As swamp donkey said it could be a walnut but i do not think it is elm or ash for sure.

ReggieT

Hmm...does kinda favor ze infamous "Siberian Elm!"  :'(

WDH

If elm, the wavy bands in the latewood will give it away. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ranger McGregor

I think if we could see a twig it would be easier to identify.

WDH

The very narrow sap ring and the deeply furrowed bark pushes me in the direction of black locust. 

Nathan Harp

Siberian elm the white streaks on the bark the size and the branching angles are different than walnut the narrow sapwood is common to both

Ranger McGregor

Magicman

Hello Nathan Harp, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about adding your location to your profile?   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: ReggieT on February 11, 2014, 06:10:11 PM
Hmm...does kinda favor ze infamous "Siberian Elm!"  :'(

I'm on the Siberian elm bandwagon also.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

We need to see if the pores are totally occluded with tyloses  :).

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

WDH

Siberian elm should be in Siberia. 

Clark

Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2014, 08:28:30 PM
Siberian elm should be in Siberia. 

If only it had stayed there!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Okrafarmer

Does not look like the black locust we have around here (sometimes called yellow locust locally, but you won't find that term in the book). It reminds me of chinese chestnut, especially the end grain. Other than that, the bark does kind of look like ash or walnut. Butternut?? Sassafrass?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

The two in back kind of look like oaks (water oak, willow oak, for instance) but it's hard to tell.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

NWP

Chinese elm. At least that's what it's called around here. Junk. I suppose if you're burning it and its free it would be ok. Will have a lot of moisture green but will burn fast when dry. The bigger stuff could be a pain to split.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Okrafarmer

That's what wood splitters are for. Even elm pops.

SwampDonkey

That's how wood splitters get busted to. My cousin's came and borrowed dad's hydraulic splitter for the tractor for splitting an American elm they cut in a pasture. The splitter never came back in the same condition it left. ;)

Autocar

I agree with NWP it looks like Chinese Elm bark falls off pretty quick you can hardly split it and once it drys out it burns like paper.
Bill

Dodgy Loner

Point of terminology:

Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) has tight bark that falls off in lacy flakes, revealing orange color.

Siberian elm (Ulmus pumila) has thick, deeply furrowed, light gray bark.

Clearly the OP's pictures are not Ulmus parvifolia, but Ulmus pumila is unhelpfully also sometimes referred to as "Chinese elm", proving once again that common names stink and lead to confusion :)

Thank You Sponsors!