iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

in time the woods wears a man down.

Started by lynde37avery, February 10, 2014, 08:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SquareG

I know what your referring to.  I noticed that too.  I don't think my 90 cc would burn 5 gal in 12 hr blocking firewood like a wild man, but there's bigger saws I guess.  But then he said 30000 ft a day.  Thats 12 10 wheelers.

SwampDonkey

2 saws are only going to consume so much, maybe they have one in each hand. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SquareG

Don't want to doubt it though, heard impressive #'s too often.  Probably should reconsider 5 gal on 660.  Burned 1.5 today in 6 hrs, and walking alot.  If clear cutting big trees, maybe so.  But those footage #'s, lordy moses.  I guess I might have knocked down and limbed 3000, it you count the firewood, doubt it though.

HiTech

Quote from: David-L on February 11, 2014, 06:22:36 AM
I plan on Six hrs a day in this cold weather, I am 51 and go to the chiropractor every two weeks and take Turmeric for the arthritis and inflamation and I swear by it. Everything usually hurts by the end of the day as I still pull cable and set chokers. Getting on the Timberjack has helped the last few years as climbing up on the old 440B wasn't working for me anymore.  I find that when hand chopping the level of concentration can also wear you out ,especially when your cutting big hardwoods that need to land right as not to destroy the understory. What i have learned in this game is when things start breaking and going wrong to walk away and it will all be there for you tomorrow to try again.  Had an old farmer friend always say at his ending days god rest his soul, " make sure they bury me with my John Deere as there has never been a hole she hasn't gotten me out of "

David l
I was ready for a knee replacement...stiffness, pain/swelling and inflammation. Couldn't get around some days. About 3 months before the cut a friend stopped by to see me one day and she is a nurse. I told her of my upcoming surgery. She poked and prodded my knee/leg and told me there was nothing wrong with it but lack of fluid. She asked how much water I drink in a day. I told her coffee, soft drink, ice tea, etc. . She went and got me a glass of water and made me drink it. I had a hard time getting it down. About a half hour later she made me drink another. When my body started processing the water you wouldn't believe how thirsty I really was. I drink water faithfully every day now and never got the knee operation. No more pain in my joints or muscles. Amazing what water can do for you. The Surgeon wouldn't tell me that, he wanted his big bucks. Everyone I ever asked say they drink plenty of water when in truth they barely wet their lips.

thecfarm

Winter I don't drink as much as summer. But I still drink alot of water,just don't carry around a jug like in the summer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I  drink lots of water especially when working in the bush with a brush saw. It leeks out of me everywhere in the heat. We have a hard head working with us, that I expect his heart to explode some day out there. Doesn't drink water or eat anything all day, and sucks on cigarettes. That's just being stupid and I don't mind saying it. My water glass at the house is a big half litre glass mug, I use it often. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

coxy

I don't eat   only dinner in the summer but drink a ton of water  the food makes me sick in the heat 

SwampDonkey

By not eating your energy levels are getting low. Then when you gorge a big dinner and go to bed that ain't good neither. I like to have a little snack between my noon sandwich, like a banana or dried fruit (figs, dates) and nuts. I've never been sick that way. However I have seen sickness of others from lack of water and food, heat stroke.

SquareG

I've heard of heat stroke too from not eating anything.  The "victim" went to the doctor.  Said eat some, or gatoraid, with the water.

Ed_K

Pass a kidney stone and I garrantee you'll drink more water.It's hard to keep water in the truck,on the skidder and on the tractor in this weather tho  ;D.
I keep a gateraid bottles with 1/2 juice 1/2 water and table spoon of lemon juice to keep hydrated.
Ed K

240b

Well, this is timley thread.  I the last week, I have run into two guys who both cable log/hand cut..(both are highly respected loogers around here) they are in the their mid fifties. I was shocked at the state they are in, both, just worn out.. knees, shoulders, hands curled up like claws.. It really makes you wonder.  I am 44 now and can still manage 10 cords a day avg. But I mostly credit that to the fact that I can run the skidder in my sleep and make very few of the mistakes I did in my younger years, felling..(Equipment seems to wear out instead of getting smashed).  Buying logging supplies is a fun, I get the same response " nobody works with a cable skidder now!, you need a grapple."  Yeah, I think lets lose money faster..  I am really starting to think working in the winter is just NOT worth it.. Short days, cold weather, mills getting filled up in two days by the big guys..  the markets used to be better in the winter but seem to be the same year round now..  Maybe its just this long cold winter we are having, but the truckers seem to be burned out already and we have another month to go.. Heck they are all older too.. there just is a general lack of young people willing or able to to this.. Talking with a friend over the weekend who owns a large trucking/ logging outfit..He was saying if they had to cut any thing by hand, he only knew a couple people who were able, and they worked for themselves already, so he'd be out of luck..  The owner of the saw shop said," there are only a couple loggers left in the county, there are a bunch of equipment operators handling wood though."

SwampDonkey

Young people cannot get the loans to buy them trucks and processors. The banks up here are real tight with money. Even the mills have to borrow from the government or get loan guarantees from them. They don't want to give a little, but don't mind making a lot. ;D

Woodboogah

I am only 30 and think about how my body will be in another 20 or so years.  I love what I do, I try to be smart about the moves I make, when to make them, etc.   I have no ambition to get any bigger then a one man show with a cable machine, maybe diversify, sell firewood or something.  I hope doing a good job, taking pride in what  I do keeps me busy.  Some days are frustrating with breakdowns and just general bad days, everyone has them.  At the end of the day  I love what I do and I wouldnt change it, especially with mechanized equipment!
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

jwilly3879

My son is 46, chiropractor every week and on 3/5 he goes in for surgery on this elbow, they call it tennis elbow but he says I never played tennis. He will be out of work for 8 weeks. He did try to schedule it for posted road season, last year they went up 3/9. The grandson plans on skidding his own hitches if the roads are still open. He will get a bigger share then.

plasticweld

I would bet that any logger in his 50s can do more than just about anyone else in any other trade. While some here seem to show signs of wear and tear I look around at the over weight out of shape of other men my age and give logging the credit for keeping me in good shape. I don't know any logger who had to order some late night exercise  tapes to get into shape. I bet no one here belongs to a gym, or runs on weekends. I would be surprised to find any of you that suffer sleepless nights. So your knees hurt, your back is sore and your tired, Suck it butter cup your loggers not accountants and paper pushers.  Who after all gets to share a great story and a scar to go with it. I remember the story line in Jaws when the two guys are comparing scars with each other and how they got them, that's what real men do; I don't think and office workers do that. We do cool stuff, run lots of cool equipment and do things that most can not. If all we are is tired and sore then we are still ahead of the rest of the world, at least in my demented little mind

Ryan D

Quote from: plasticweld on February 13, 2014, 07:15:36 PM
I would bet that any logger in his 50s can do more than just about anyone else in any other trade. While some here seem to show signs of wear and tear I look around at the over weight out of shape of other men my age and give logging the credit for keeping me in good shape. I don't know any logger who had to order some late night exercise  tapes to get into shape. I bet no one here belongs to a gym, or runs on weekends. I would be surprised to find any of you that suffer sleepless nights. So your knees hurt, your back is sore and your tired, Suck it butter cup your loggers not accountants and paper pushers.  Who after all gets to share a great story and a scar to go with it. I remember the story line in Jaws when the two guys are comparing scars with each other and how they got them, that's what real men do; I don't think and office workers do that. We do cool stuff, run lots of cool equipment and do things that most can not. If all we are is tired and sore then we are still ahead of the rest of the world, at least in my demented little mind

I do powerlifting in the winter and play rugby all summer on top of logging. It's pretty tough to get out of bed most days but in a sadistic kind of way I enjoy the pain. You're right about the sleep though. Usually takes me all of 30 seconds to be lights out when my head hits the pillow.

M_S_S

Autocar I know what you are talking about lol. I am 68, be 69 this summer. I am a real cowboy and a firewood cutter. In the spring and summer I take care of about 800 mother cows and their calves, I am horseback every day. When the cattle are shipped in the fall I cut firewood. I am in partners with a young fellow(34). He works a full time job and only cuts on his time off. Lol I am there everyday, but when he is there he does 75% of the work, he takes care of the old man. Getting old is not for imps lol. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

dustyjay

Quote from: Woodboogah on February 12, 2014, 05:35:51 PM
I am only 30 and think about how my body will be in another 20 or so years.  I love what I do, I try to be smart about the moves I make, when to make them, etc.   I have no ambition to get any bigger then a one man show with a cable machine, maybe diversify, sell firewood or something.  I hope doing a good job, taking pride in what  I do keeps me busy.  Some days are frustrating with breakdowns and just general bad days, everyone has them.  At the end of the day  I love what I do and I wouldnt change it, especially with mechanized equipment!

I've spent days working with a farmi winch, days working with cable skidder operators, and days working cutting and skidding with my horses. At the end of the horse days I'm feeling much healthier and not just dead form the pace. Volume's another topic- I can't move nearly as much, but the pacing is different, and healthier I think. All the big volume jobs around here go to "machine operators," as  240b said, anyway.
Proper prior planning prevents pith poor performance

plasticweld

Quote from:Ryan D on February 12, 2014, 05:35:51 pm
I do powerlifting in the winter and play rugby all summer on top of logging. It's pretty tough to get out of bed most days but in a sadistic kind of way I enjoy the pain. You're right about the sleep though. Usually takes me all of 30 seconds to be lights out when my head hits the pillow.
[/quote]

I also spend my off time in a quiet safe environment with no challenges

My son and I at Summit Point race track

Black_Bear

Quote from: loggerboy9325 on February 10, 2014, 09:26:14 PM
living the good life sometimes I wish My dad and I could go fully mechanical. But its not in our budget and it aint our style. I havent seen a delimber that could delimb a hard wood tree successfully.

If you ever get to northern New England I can show you one or two successful hardwood delimbers; Cat or JD carriers, with the Propac forestry package being a popular stroke delimbing head up here. 300-400 cord per week of hardwood, mostly beech/birch/maple, delimbed within mill specs - well, most of it anyway.

Ed

SwampDonkey

That works in northern New England because of piece size. You drive up to a 40 inch rock maple or yellow birch with limbs as big as most trees that machine is limbing and the maple/birch will win. I was just thinning beside a harvest block that was on going this past fall, and those big old bruisers were left to stand. And it wasn't because they was thinking of the owls. Those big ones look smaller out by the road looking in, then they do when your standing beside them. :D

Black_Bear

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 17, 2014, 08:57:53 AM
That works in northern New England because of piece size. You drive up to a 40 inch rock maple or yellow birch with limbs as big as most trees that machine is limbing and the maple/birch will win. I was just thinning beside a harvest block that was on going this past fall, and those big old bruisers were left to stand. And it wasn't because they was thinking of the owls. Those big ones look smaller out by the road looking in, then they do when your standing beside them. :D

Certification standards require us to leave wildlife trees throughout a final harvest. Most of the oversized trees, such as the maple and birch you're writing about, are left standing. The yellow birch with the expanded crowns are the worst, but the operator can take his time and keep rolling the tree to get it clean. The majority of the stems require 1 or 2 stroke lengths and a topping - it goes pretty quick and the trees are clean.

SwampDonkey

I'll tell ya exactly what I've experienced about wildlife trees because I've been involved in way more strict environmental practices than most with BC's Forest Practices codes in the 1990's. When wildlife tree were left they were the poorest growth of woods left in patches where all the best timber was removed around them, so you had islands of crap timber left in a clear cut. That was your wildlife trees. ;)

stoneeaglefarm

If ya hand chop and pull cable like us old bucks, I am 55, and you can get more than 6 hard hours in during a winter like this than you should be on the cover of a magazine. Three things keep us old farts going, Luck, more luck and we just love what we do. Take some glucosomine, drink alot of water during the day and do not slow down to much. If your uncle is over 50 and still hand chopping decent amounts of wood all the power to him.

Thank You Sponsors!