iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for a used chain mortiser to purchase

Started by vtframer, February 10, 2014, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtframer

Hi - I'm currently cutting a timberframe home and I've been using the hole hawg to cut my mortises but am getting tired of this method and would like to speed things up a bit.

So, I'm looking for a used chain mortiser, preferably a Makita.

Does anyone have one they'd like to part with?

Thanks,
Mike

vtframer

Haven't heard anything back on this, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good second-hand power tool website?

thanks!

jueston

i would search ebay and craigslist, they are not real common, but there are some out there.... i don't know of any website which sells used chain mortisers.

scsmith42

Quote from: vtframer on February 17, 2014, 08:21:24 AM
Haven't heard anything back on this, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good second-hand power tool website?

thanks!

A lot of framers swear by the old hand mortisers.  Our very own Jim Rogers usually has some in stock and available for sale.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

vtframer

Thanks for the advice, guys...I'll keep looking :-)

danreed76

Keep an eye on craigslist and ebay.  Make sure you check daily, because when one pops up, it'll disappear quickly.  Make sure you check other nearby areas on craigslist too.

It took me a while, but eventually I ended up with a makita chain mortiser and a 16" beam saw on the cheap by doing this.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

bushhog920

I was in the same boat and gave it up and got a new one from amazon.com. used ones seem to sell for almost new cost. might try mikita for a refurbished one.

vtframer

So I ended up buying one from the local tool shop and I was wondering if anyone knows how often you should oil the chain?  Also, whats your method for doing this?

Thanks!

Jim_Rogers

Did you get an instruction book with it?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

vtframer

I did, ...it says to oil after each use, but I was wondering if there was a good rul of thumb, like after every mortise, or something like that.

Brian_Weekley

I lubricate my bicycle chain after each ride...   ;)
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

At the end of the day when you put it away is what they mean "after each use."
If you oil it after each mortise you're going to fling oil on your timbers when you start up again.

At the end of the day it will sit on the chain and bar and help prevent rust from wet woods.

Jim Rogers

maineframer

We run Makita chain mortisers in our shop. We use bar and chain oil (summer oil) for chain lubricant. Our practice is to oil chain before we use it in the morning and after every third or forth mortise. There is no grease bar on these like a Mafell or Pro tool. We apply the oil generously----we do not want a hot chain or bar. Think about a chain saw, the old ones we used to use had manual oilers and every now and then you would give it a squirt.
That said, my advice would be to oil as much as you need to use the tool smoothly but not so much that you will pepper the timbers with oil.
David

vtframer

thanks for the advice guys!!!!  this was very helpful!
-mike

logman

What happened to my post with the craigslist ad, was that not appropriate?  I thought the forum was about helping out other people.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: logman on March 22, 2014, 10:05:47 PM
What happened to my post with the craigslist ad, was that not appropriate?  I thought the forum was about helping out other people.

From the Forestry Forum Rules:

Ebay and Craigs List
It is against Forestry Forum rules to post links to craig list ads, ebay auctions, or links to any like sites unless the ad or auction is your personal ad, and you are entitled to post an ad in respect to forum rules and stipulations. Such postings will be removed without warning. Repeated actions will be cause for removal from the Forestry Forum. We have had issues with members finding then posting auctions or items that other members have already found interest in, drawing competition to that interest, resulting in upset members. Remember, If you found the item, other members can find it as well. 

I'm sure your heart/intentions were good but it simply is against the rules.

Herb (just another user...)

Jim_Rogers

Thanks Herb.
I did send logman a private message that someone other than me may have removed his link as it was not allowed. And I quoted another rule about posting links to other sites, just above the one you quoted.
Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!