iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

6x6 cracking repair

Started by Raider Bill, February 10, 2014, 10:20:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Got a call from Tennessee the other day. Seems one of my 6x6 deck supports is cracking. It's going to be the end of March before I can get up there to replace it.
Does anyone know of a metal sleeve/clamp that can be had to wrap and support this until I can get up there?
I'm thinking something along the lines of 2 pieces metal that wrap the 6x6 and bolt together.
The permanent fix is to replace that post and put one on either side between it and the next posts over.

The post I'm taking about is the 3rd from left.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Dieskyver

Why not just a 2x6 and/or 2x8 face nailed real good on a couple of the sides?

Wouldn't the replacement do about the same thing over time?   What about putting 4-5 metal band(1/4"x1" plate) around it like a whiskey barrel, to hold it from splitting.  How do the others looks?

Your temporary solution may be my permenant solution I just miss understood you.
Josh

Dave Shepard

I agree, it would be a good, quick fix. You can also find nailer plates from Simpson at places like Lowes or Home Depot. They're just big galvanized plates with a ton of holes in them that you can fishplate over the crack with. If you could get one of the big ones and bend it to a 90° and nail one over each corner, that would be pretty strong.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dieskyver

Yeah, after another look seems like its busting at the knot. I second the Simpson plate.  And at least another post under the long span as u mentioned. 
Josh

VictorH

I believe the last pic shows the problem extending down a couple of feet.  Not sure that you can get plates that large from a box store.  I would face screw a couple 2x6 until a new post can be set.  On another note I have two other observations and not trying to get critical but deck failure is fairly common.  Your ledger board or rim joist (whichever you want to call it) appears to have a seam in it between the 3 and 4 posts.  That's really not a good idea.  My other ? is how are those attached to the posts?  Regular deck screws would not be sufficient as they are likely to shear or pull.  Again trying to be helpful and not critical - I had a couple friends who were injured when a deck collapsed that they were on at a friends house.

Victor

JohnG28

Maybe a piece of angle iron on each corner running the length of crack. Wrap them with ratchet straps or use some flat iron with holes drilled and threaded rod and nuts as clamps on each side to keep compression on all sides. I'd sort or rather do something like that than put any screws/bolts into a failing structural support. Hope you can get it straight till you can get there.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

If no one is going to be up on the deck, I don't think you need to worry about it. IMO.

It is typical of SYP that has a lot of juvenile wood and it is showing the longitudinal shrinkage. Surprised it remains as straight as it shows.

Still think it serves its purpose to hold up the deck as the post is in compression load. Wouldn't work good if it were a beam tho.

If concerned, then the suggestion of screwing a couple 2x6 pieces on should suffice as Victor mentions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Raider Bill

Quote from: VictorH on February 10, 2014, 11:26:05 AM
I believe the last pic shows the problem extending down a couple of feet.  Not sure that you can get plates that large from a box store.  I would face screw a couple 2x6 until a new post can be set.  On another note I have two other observations and not trying to get critical but deck failure is fairly common.  Your ledger board or rim joist (whichever you want to call it) appears to have a seam in it between the 3 and 4 posts.  That's really not a good idea.  My other ? is how are those attached to the posts?  Regular deck screws would not be sufficient as they are likely to shear or pull.  Again trying to be helpful and not critical - I had a couple friends who were injured when a deck collapsed that they were on at a friends house.

Victor

As the old timers here on the FF know, I designed that house on cocktail napkins and built it myself long distance [with the help of friends] so any critique is welcome. I am not a builder,. There was no blueprints or experience just a idea and lot's of beer  smiley_beertoast. To try and make up for my lack of knowledge and skills I simpson clipped everything. By the time it was over my left thumb had been hit more times than Leon Spinks.

BTW the house is made out of Styrofoam and concrete. ICF

Under the face board [2x12] that you see is the 2x10's that I used to build it with. They are lag bolted and in simpson buckets. Every joint on that deck has been simpson clipped too.
I put the 2x12 around only to band it for looks.
I'm going to add 2 more 6x6's on either side of the deck to be safe. It takes some very strong winds.

Dieskyver

Nice view. Is that you?  Is this your house or someone else?
Josh

scsmith42

Bill, I think that there is more going wrong with that timber than in just one section.  It appears to have had some type of rot before it was treated / dried.

I second the thought of nailing some 2 x 6's the the outside.  I would then suggest replacing the entire post.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

It's mine, and yepper that's me doing the maiden voyage out the deck .
I bought the land of 69 acres and started building April 07. Since then I added another 76 acres and still haven't finished the house. ;) distractions...

That front deck has a great view. Perfect to sit and watch the world go by which is pretty much why the house isn't finished. Well that and playing in the woods amongst my trees.;D

Wildbill and I put a railing around it finally.

Distractions

Dieskyver

It'sa wonder youv got as far as ya have with that kinda playground. Your head o schdl.
Josh

Magicman

One of you is going the wrong way.  Wait, on second thought, neither of you is going anywhere.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

The kid in front got stuck, then I tried to pull him out, then a wolverine tried to pull me out, then a 100 hp massey ferguson pulled us all out. :D :D

thecfarm

That kid looks way to clean for being stuck in the mud.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Raider Bill

His Mother told him not to get his school clothes dirty which is why he's still sitting on the buggy. I'm the one that talked him into trying it. His Dad is the one that pulled us out.
I denied everything. ;)

S.Hyland

I thought the post looked rotted too, not just cracked...
"It may be that when we no longer know which way to go that we have come to our real journey. The mind that is not baffled is not employed. The impeded stream is the one that sings."
― Wendell Berry

RPowers

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 10, 2014, 01:19:58 PM
Bill, I think that there is more going wrong with that timber than in just one section.  It appears to have had some type of rot before it was treated / dried.

x2

Looks just like rot that has dried out.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Brucer

Sound wood should not crack across the grain like that. I agree with the decay idea. Nailing or lag screwing into wood like that won't help a great deal. The best temporary fix would be to put 2x6's on two opposite faces and bolt right through the post at several locations. Heavy washers under the nuts are essential. The cheapest type of "bolt" is probably ready-rod (a.k.a. Allthread) with a couple of nuts and washers.

If that post fails, it will probably buckle sideways, bowing in the direction of the cracked face. That kind of failure doesn't give you any warning. It just suddenly bends and snaps. Don't hold any parties on that section of the deck until you get the post fixed/replaced.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!