iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hello

Started by logstomper, February 10, 2014, 07:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logstomper

Hello,
I'm new here, and new to logging again. In the past I spent  the years 2000-2005 partnered in a logging business. Started with an old tree farmer forwarder. Then skidder ,then two skidders and a slasher. Eventually a buncher two grapple skidders and a slasher. In 05 we went south for hurricane Katrina clean up with our Michigan log truck. That was harder than logging. Only because I had to live and work with my dad. We all know how that can be. Got out of that. Went home bounced around in the woods sawing skidding. And bunching for a few outfits before I got tired of being laid off in Jun/ July... So I went to construction in 07. Kind of sucked, had to start at the bottom. Didn't get to run any machines for a good two years. Then itt was pretty. Limited even. Early last summer figured I'd climeb. That ladder all the way to the top and would never get to be an operated at that outfit . Found a new job operating , dozers hoes offroad trucks... Had a great summer. Work ran out around Christmas. So here I find my self back in the woods tuning forwarder. Big circle.  I'll have a few questions later. Hage to go to work

Magicman

Good Morning logstomper, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Howdy logstomper, I can say I feel for you, and have been in a circle as well. Machining, sawmilling, and back to machining again, and again. Starting over is a pain.  I have resolved to do what I love and this is sawmilling.
The main drawback as of now is the weather.  But at least I'm not smoking two cigarettes at a time,(not mine),
I would rather have cold hands than smoke someone else's cig,  Not knocking any smokers, I'm just not one.
Things always have a way of working out, but I'm pretty sure work is involved in it especially when it comes to sawmilling.  Hope all works out for you,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

logstomper

So I guess one of my questions is. where I am working now we have a cat 501 harvester with I believe prentice head. about 7500 hours on it.  What kind of production should you expect with a good operator, not a great one. I know the type of wood and many other variables come into play but best case scenario? right now we are in a mixed hard wood stand mostly popal, ash, soft maple. a fair bit of spruce. nothing of too great of size.  I forwarded for a little over 8 hours today got 13 bunks almost 35 cord and picked up almost three days of wood. other days the harvester operator will put down maybe 25-35 cords per day....

Also next question. the operator also some days throws or breaks way more chains than I feel he should. like today I watched him cut a 3 inch ash whip unsupported and the chain flew off... Is there something with the head that is making the chains come off/ break or is it operator error? bar is good, new chain/ fixed chain don't matter. not sure if there is a solution to this problem or not. when I was running buncher they all had drawer saws not chains so I don't know a heck of a lot about it. any help is appreciated. thanks

logstomper

Quote from: drobertson on February 10, 2014, 09:11:29 AM
Howdy logstomper, I can say I feel for you, and have been in a circle as well. Machining, sawmilling, and back to machining again, and again. Starting over is a pain.  I have resolved to do what I love and this is sawmilling.
The main drawback as of now is the weather.  But at least I'm not smoking two cigarettes at a time,(not mine),
I would rather have cold hands than smoke someone else's cig,  Not knocking any smokers, I'm just not one.
Things always have a way of working out, but I'm pretty sure work is involved in it especially when it comes to sawmilling.  Hope all works out for you,   david

Im always optimistic... didn't have to start over now on the bottom run this time atleast  ;D. Back in the woods where I belong for now... cant stand being laid off.

thecfarm

logstomper,welcome to the forum.
The chain flew off. The logger that cuts for me would say the same thing. He tries not to make a mess,cuts the small stuff and a chain will fly off. He went to a hot saw? A big circular kinda saw to cut the trees down and then another feller buncher to do the limbing and the bucking. I have not talked to him since the big change. Probably something he might not like about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

I can do 6 cords an hour in decent hardwood with my 133 Fabtek which is an ancestor of the 501.  You will throw and break chains but he should have it figured out by now not to cut anything that isn't firmly held.  The stem will slide down behind the bar and when the bar returns home the chain can break or bend a link/links and if you're luck it only throws it, or it may blow a tip, maybe even bend the bar.  I learned pretty quick  ;) ;D  I carry two or three extra chains and an extra bar in the cab and have a couple extra tips in the truck.  They all last much longer now  ;D ;D :D  Is the hydraulic chain tensioner working right?  That can cause issues with holding a chain  ;) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Little stuff I'll grab and pull it out instead of cutting it off.  Easier and faster :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logstomper

Quote from: Corley5 on February 10, 2014, 09:40:11 PM
Little stuff I'll grab and pull it out instead of cutting it off.  Easier and faster :)
this is what I've been telling him. That's what I've always done when bunching. Its easier on the tires for the forwarder... Thanks

also thanks Corley. That was my exact thought.

thenorthman

Got into machining because the woods where being shut down (spotted owl).  Now I'm going into logging because I'm tired of all the politics in a machine shop.  And I've pretty much done it all and am very bored with it, pun intended. 

I'm just small fries with the logging, but I come home in a good mood, even after having the suspension broke in my hat, getting stabbed in the side by a branch, and whacked on the bridge of the nose, all in one day and not all at once.  Not to mention I make way more doing this then I ever did working for someone else.  Every day is different in the woods.
well that didn't work

chevytaHOE5674

Logstomper I see you mentioned Michigan, where abouts are you from?

lumbertick

I run a 2005 fabtek 133 with 4 roller head...hardwood i cut 7 an hour... popal and pine 8-9 and hour..
When it comes to cutting those small ones that you cant grab onto.. try to just push the tree a little forward and cut it off then it wont slide down and knock the chain off...
What part of michigan you working...?

logstomper

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 11, 2014, 09:23:45 AM

I'm from calumet but working southern or middle Houghton conty by tapiola. In the yoop

treechopper40

when I ran timbco I would just take the head and push them small trees tree over its in the skid trail usually anyway it just helps brush the trail
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

logging pete

On my 133 when the chain starts coming off, sawing off limbs, the spring in the tensioner is broke.  On small stuff keep head on the ground and steady.

1270d

Quote from: logstomper on February 11, 2014, 07:55:18 PM
Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 11, 2014, 09:23:45 AM

I'm from calumet but working southern or middle Houghton conty by tapiola. In the yoop

i just came off a job just a couple miles from you, in elo

logstomper

Quote from: logging pete on February 12, 2014, 04:24:25 AM
On my 133 when the chain starts coming off, sawing off limbs, the spring in the tensioner is broke.  On small stuff keep head on the ground and steady.

What is this ground you speak of? Over 220 inches of snow here...

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, logstomper. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

SliverPicker

Did you buy that skidder/ processor combo that was on the side of the road between Quincy Hill and Calumet?
Yooper by trade.

logstomper

Quote from: SliverPicker on February 18, 2014, 10:36:52 AM
Did you buy that skidder/ processor combo that was on the side of the road between Quincy Hill and Calumet?

No sir. Don't own any equipment. Just an employee. Already learned my lesson on that road.

Thank You Sponsors!