iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

norwood lm2000

Started by raptorman01, February 09, 2014, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raptorman01

looking at a lm2000 with a 20 horse Honda, 16 ft bed, trailer kit, good clean condition, with a few blades included. is 4500. a good price for this mill in good condition?? sorry don't have any pics.. thanks for the thoughts.
1900's Frick 01, Norwood LM2000, F250 P.S.,F350 P.S., CAT D3B, New Holland T5050 FEL, TN75 FEL, 5030 FEL, Stihl 034,310,210. etc. all thanks to the Lord and lots of hard work...

brianb88

I'm in the market for a mill of this size and that seems to be pretty reasonable if it is in good working condition. 
Measure twice, cut once

Slingshot

That mill with the extension, trailer kit, 20 HP Honda is well worth the
price you quoted. Good mill, saws great. Go get it running-doggy

sling_shot fly_smiley

sawmilllawyer

Agree with the others if it is in good cworkingorder and not beat up sounds like a deal. I have been watching for a good reasonably priced used Norwood mill, myself. Go for it!!!
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

dboyt

Lots of the older Norwood mills out there, and Norwood still supports them.  Simple machines, not much to go wrong with them, and easy to work on.  Sounds like an outstanding deal & FF members are standing by in case you decide not to buy it.  Extended track and trailer package are gravy.  Let us know what you decide.  Can you get the owner to demonstrate a log or two and get you familiar with the mill?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

raptorman01

maybe i need to measure the bed. i put that it is a 16 ft bed but i was thinking that 16 ft was standard.. does anybody know?? i didnt measure it, i dont think it has any extra bed sections in it. guy hasnt used it in a yr or two, hes getting older and less able. i didnt see any logs laying around but he is offering to start it up and show us everything moves as it should. has been covered and looks pretty good though. what else should i look for on it and i will let yall know what i decide.. thanks...
1900's Frick 01, Norwood LM2000, F250 P.S.,F350 P.S., CAT D3B, New Holland T5050 FEL, TN75 FEL, 5030 FEL, Stihl 034,310,210. etc. all thanks to the Lord and lots of hard work...

m wood

I agree on the value and what others are saying regarding condition.  I looked for a used norwood for some time and finally found mine about a year ago.  I think your right about 16' is standard, might be 12' though...not sure.  Let us know if theres rollers or toe boards, like Dboyt said, they're very simple but stout units.  I want to upgrade to a bigger honda some day, that 20 hp will do ya fine.  GRAB IT.
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

losttheplot

If the track is 16ft you will be able to cut a 12ft log. The carriage takes up a little room.

If it is in good cosmetic condition there is little to go wrong.

Push the carriage down the track and make sure there is no binding.

Put a blade on and tension it up, fire up the motor and run it wide open.
Make sure the band stays on.

The 20hp Honda motors are cold blooded, they run too lean at idle.
If its cold where you are it may take a while until it stays running at idle with out choke.

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Cypress Sam

2000's are great mills!!  I ran one for years.  Mine did not move a lot because the frame was bolted together and they shook loose or broke. That being said, it is still a great mill just don't move it every day or get better bolts.
SAM

Nomad

A stock LM2000 will cut a 12' log.  Barely.  If you hold your mouth just right.  I'm not sure what the overall length would be for 16', but that would be one extension.  It's not designed to be towed with more on it than that.  Be aware that adding that on a towable unit also means moving the axle mounts.  Not a big deal, but an important one.
     I can't speak for the Honda motor.  Mine had a 23 horse B&S Vanguard on it.
     Norwood makes one fine little mill!!!  There are days I'm sorry I sold mine.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

brianb88

Hey raptorman, if you decide not to buy it I would be interested in at least giving it a look.  It sounds too good to pass up. 
Measure twice, cut once

dboyt

OK, that makes sense.  16' bed, 12' log.  That's been Norwood's standard pretty much all along.  I've very seldom had occasion to cut longer than 12' anyway.  In addition to rolling it down the track, make sure that the carriage height winch moves freely.  As long as it has been under cover you probably won't have anything more than a few mud dauber nests to worry about.  Let us know what you decide.

papow22

Quote from: raptorman01 on February 10, 2014, 12:11:18 PM
maybe i need to measure the bed. i put that it is a 16 ft bed but i was thinking that 16 ft was standard.. does anybody know?? i didnt measure it, i dont think it has any extra bed sections in it. guy hasnt used it in a yr or two, hes getting older and less able. i didnt see any logs laying around but he is offering to start it up and show us everything moves as it should. has been covered and looks pretty good though. what else should i look for on it and i will let yall know what i decide.. thanks...
Quote from: raptorman01 on February 09, 2014, 08:38:28 PM
looking at a lm2000 with a 20 horse Honda, 16 ft bed, trailer kit, good clean condition, with a few blades included. is 4500. a good price for this mill in good condition?? sorry don't have any pics.. thanks for the thoughts. Let it set too LONG ( smiley_horserider) it will gone one way or the other running-doggy And you will feel like  smiley_hanged.Cause I own one and I'd never sell mine just hand it down with the farm.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Coon

The LM 2000 that I owned had 20 ft of bed and I could barely cut a 16 ft long.  The log had to be positioned just so lengthwise or the blade would not exit the log and what a PITA that was... Logs that were bucked a little bit on the crooked side were a pain and often required repositioning when you turned the log.  Thankfully I had the roller toe boards to help me along.  I had the 15 hp Kohler and it had plenty of power cutting softwoods.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

raptorman01

well today was the day. my brother(a10ecgent) and I went and bought the mill after work. we got a 20ft bed that will cut 16'8". about 16-18 blades. trailer kit, 20hp Honda, factory cover, all in good shape. I will take pics this weekend when I clean it up and post them later. my brother may post a couple he took with his phone earlier.

thecfarm

You will never look at a tree the same way before you had the mill.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

A10ECGent

OK Guys here are some pics. We will get better ones up soon,

Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

Po-Jo

m wood

well done sir(s).  way to pull the trigger!
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

apm

A10ECGENT where are you guys located? I'm right outside Mountain City, TN. Your profile makes it look like you're close?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

stamper

I like my LM 2000 20 hp set up to saw 24ft made my own trailer rig
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

beenthere

This post might fall under Jeff's forum rules about advertising auction items. Check with Jeff.

QuoteEbay and Craigs List
It is against Forestry Forum rules to post links to craig list ads, ebay auctions, or links to any like sites unless the ad or auction is your personal ad, and you are entitled to post an ad in respect to forum rules and stipulations. Such postings will be removed without warning. Repeated actions will be cause for removal from the Forestry Forum. We have had issues with members finding then posting auctions or items that other members have already found interest in, drawing competition to that interest, resulting in upset members. Remember, If you found the item, other members can find it as well. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

A10ECGent

We are right outside of Johnson City
Hard work spotlights the character of people:
some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses,
and some don't turn up at all.  ~Sam Ewing

apm

I grew up on Cherokee Road between Johnson City and Jonesboro. Small world.......

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Sixacresand

Looks like a good deal. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

dboyt

Looks to be in pretty clean condition.  You're going to love running it!  Norwood has good support for their older machines.  Now all you need is a cant hook, bigger chain saw, truck & trailer, and a pile of logs!

Thank You Sponsors!