iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Winter Pics

Started by Corley5, February 09, 2014, 06:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

One brand new rebuilt $2,500.00 Lucas injection pump.  The timing advance thing on the bottom is $750.00 alone.

It goes in there.

Some where back there to be exact.

Broke down, charging batteries to bleed fuel system.  My helper is hanging down in the belly of the beast with only his feet visible.

Today was the day.  It worked three hours with out any complaints.  At one time there was too much blue smoke for whatever reason.  It did clear up though.  I have no idea what that was about  :-\

Some pics of some of the maple I cut today and the snow the machine has to slog through.  I'm guessing I've got 12-15 cords on the ground.  The snow is to the top of the tracks in most places.  Was warm today too.  A tropical 18 degrees.

The forwarder.  It's gonna get a workout in this snow.

Some pics of the firewood machines and Old Blue with a load of green sugar maple.

This was after the last snowfall before the landing was scraped out again

I'm ready for spring. 

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

thecfarm

Nice pictures and equipment.
I was out in the woods today with my tractor. Just 40hp. Can't go anywheres I want,but can get to a few places. Not all that much snow to go through. Had to push myself out with the loader at one place. Went in OK,but back out was not so easy.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

i noticed the old standby roll of blue towel on the track, where would we be without that stuff?  i prefer it to charmin btw.

Maine logger88

What year is your forwarder?
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Corley5

We couldn't survive without the blue towels  :)  I don't know the forwarders exact year have been told it's an '87 or newer.

barbender

X2 on the blue paper towels, sometimes you can tell how tough of a repair it was by how many pieces are on the ground. I also prefer it to Charmin, but probably not at home- I don't think it's septic safe ;D I'm sure glad you got it back up running, Corley. It's miserable enough fixing something stubborn like that, in the cold, when it belongs to someone else. You get stuck with the bill and your not paid when it's down :(
Too many irons in the fire

coxy

watch out for the white towels they leave a bad bad rash  trust me :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Ken

Thanks for the pics Corley5.  Always a happy feeling when a machine gets fixed and put back to work.  Hopefully it holds together for you for a bit.  Nice looking units.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Autocar

Nice looking forwarder sure is clean it looks to me you have plenty of toys to play with  ;D
Bill

Corley5

Monday we changed the engine oil and filter along with the fuel filters on the forwarder and put it to work for a few hours.  It was too cold yesterday to do much and today we picked up the rest of what I cut Sunday afternoon which was just about 15 cords total.  It's a mix of sugar maple pulp/firewood and saw bolts with a small percentage of the same basswood products.  The snow's deep.

PaYoungBuck

What kind of firewood processor are you running?

Corley5

Block Buster 14-12 with a Built Rite conveyor.

MUDDY

What kind of wood u using as stakes?

Corley5

Sugar maple or ironwood.  They both hold up about the same.

chevytaHOE5674

Hopefully you start having some better luck.

I'm sure its like UP here very slow going in the deep sugary snow. Everybody in the woods has been complaining about the snow depth this year. Hoping we get a little warm up to settle the snow down some to make life easier.

Corley5

I'm hoping for a better run of luck  :)  Frost laws are next :-\  Hopefully things will hold together so we can have some good production before we get slapped with them.

thecfarm

By the looks of the temps the postings won't be up next week. That can change quick,as you know.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Was just chatting with a logger working a job for me yesterday about the load restrictions, he was complaining about the job I have him on. Was hoping to be done by the end of February but the deep snow and bitter cold temps are slowing him down to the point there is no way he will get done by March. So now he is getting worried about the load restrictions coming on once we get into early March. Seems tough to get a run of good luck sometimes.

Corley5

Today, when I had to get out of the cab to put the chain back on.  The snow's deep especially out of the tracks.  Trudging through it with a chainsaw would be rough this year.
  Everything worked as it should for the most part today.  We took the hydraulic filters out of it this afternoon after I started getting an "alarm" for a dirty return filter.  They are Prentice labeled filters.  Car Quest was able to cross one of the # and they have it in stock but the other # doesn't cross to anything so I need to take it to them for a match up in the morning.  All in a days work in the woods  :)  It's nice when things go well  8)  Hope it keeps up  :)

Corley5

The weatherman missed it again.  We were supposed to get some rain/freezing rain and a couple inches of snow with high winds to 50 mph.  They didn't take into account that the wind would break up the ice cover on Lake Michigan and reactivate the Lake Snow Machine.  We got at least a foot last night.  It's hard to tell exactly because it blew around so much.  The road going to the job was plugged with drifts.  The Dodge made it but with close to two feet of snow on the hood.  I wouldn't have bothered today but I needed firewood.  We ran some for a couple clients yesterday and we planned to run mine today and cut some timber.  We talked about running a load for me yesterday too but talked ourselves out of it  ;D  That's what I get for listening to the weatherman.  Instead I plowed snow around the firewood machine, ran a couple face cords for myself and spent the rest of the day plowing snow.  I'm running out of room to pile it with the Bobcat.  I'm so over this winter.  Supposed to be single digit highs again for the end of the week.

Ken

Looks like you had to torture the old dodge a bit to get in.  I had the same issue here last week.  Was too lazy to walk the skidder or dozer out to the front of the road before the last storm.  Had to bust through 14" of snow and drifts for over a mile to get to the machines.  First good workout for my new to me truck
Lots of toys for working in the bush

jdament

Good looking pics,  was wondering if you could give me the part numbers for the aftermarket hydraulic filters you got.  I really don't want to pay what cat wants for them.

Thanks

Corley5

I'll get the #s for you tomorrow.  I cut the end flap off one box with the # and the other is on a receipt.

Corley5

The long filter of the two has CARQUEST # 84309.  The shorter one is 84756.  The last three digits are the Wix filter #.  These are for my 99 133.  I have no idea if they changed them over time  :)
  Winter still suxs up here.  Cold, 10 was our high, and windy again today and it's only supposed to get colder the next few days  arg-smiley steve_smiley whiteflag_smiley  I was pushing snow to the bottom of the door on the 133.  I thought about getting out to take a picture but I don't think I could have gotten back in the machine if I'd gotten out.

Corley5

Forwarder Trail

Views from the cab.  I didn't realize my front window was so dirty

Forwarder from the road.

My driveway.

WmFritz

It's a Winter Wonderland!  Definitly some good photos for the scrap book.
Springs got to get here Corley... your driveway is almost a tunnel.  :D :D :D

After weeks of every morning temperatures of -20° to -30°f, today sure felt like a spring day. Even after starting out at around -10°
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Corley5

I tunneled in to my parents today to check the house.  It was easier than walking  ;D

thecfarm

I grew up on a state highway. I can remember snow backens as high as a pick up truck. That cut down the road noise.

1270d

How many inches on the level?

Corley5

chevytaHOE5674

Need to get yourself a blower, makes opening up deep driveways easy.

If the warm up in the 7 day forecast holds true we may get down to 36" of snow by next weekend.  8)

Corley5

We've got a blower  8)  A seven footer.  Had one for years actually but the last few years there's been no need for it.  It's in the barn out back along with a tractor to put it on  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!