iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2166 jonsered?

Started by Maine logger88, February 08, 2014, 09:43:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine logger88

Can you grind the baffles on the transfer port cover and make it a 2172 just like a 365/372xt? And is that all there is to it or is there something else you gota do? I'm seriously considering buying one and doing that mod it would be a fairly cheap way to get a 2172
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

tlandrum

yes that's all there is to it. take the cylinder from the saw and remove the transfer port covers. then grind the obstruction from the cover.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Maine logger88

David-L

Tlandrum, Would that be the same on a 2165. i have a 2172 and would love another one. The 2165 runs an 18" bar and has been a very easy starting saw and runs well in extreme cold. one pull saw when warm  all the time. Dosen't tach out like the 2172 and runs at just over 12,000. Saw shop sets it to spec.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

SawTroll

Quote from: David-L on February 09, 2014, 06:55:00 AM
Tlandrum, Would that be the same on a 2165. i have a 2172 and would love another one. The 2165 runs an 18" bar and has been a very easy starting saw and runs well in extreme cold. one pull saw when warm  all the time. Dosen't tach out like the 2172 and runs at just over 12,000. Saw shop sets it to spec.

David l

No, the 2165 has a true 65cc top end, so you would have to replace the complete top end.
Information collector.

David-L

Sawtroll, The high spec is 12,300 or so, can I tweak the high a bit. i mix johny 2 stroke oil 50;1.  2.3 gallons fuel, to the 6.4ounces of oil. The oil container is the one for 2.5 gallons of gas. I run 93 octane only.

David l

coxy

I cant tell much difference between the 66 and the72 but the price       66 is 150 bucks cheaper  8) 8)

NCFarmboy

2166 Jred, Husky 365XT is the best bang for buck in its class.  Got 2 Huskys and a Jred.  Torque monsters, lighter on fuel than reg 372's.  Been reading about clutch side bearing failures and cracked fuel lines on new saws w/low hrs.  My solution for bearings is 32:1 synthetic oil.  Fuel line replace w/Tygon.  Fuel line problem was reported by EHP.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Quote from: David-L on February 09, 2014, 07:29:34 AM
Sawtroll, The high spec is 12,300 or so, can I tweak the high a bit.  ....

:P As far as I know, the recommended max is 13,600 - which also is where the rev limiter kicks in....
Information collector.

Maine logger88

David my old 365 which is the same as your 2165 revs 13500 that's where it was set 3 years ago and it has always worked well! Yeh where I'm looking the 2166 is almost 200 less. I have never run any of the strato saws except for my 562 but everyone I talk to seems to like there 2166/365 and 2172/372

David-L

I was told by the dealer that the 2165 was not a 13,500 saw but 12,500 max and more torque than the 2172. I will spin it up a bit. I run a 24" on the 2172 and it still has plenty of power, especially in softwoods. My 2159 limbing saw was not very old when it got a crack in the fuel line. All and all the red saws have been pretty good. The 2152 which sits outside by the wood boiler is the best saw I have ever owned in that cc class. one pull no matter how cold it is and plenty of bark for a 10lb saw.

David l

Maine logger88

Yeh I think that is what the book says I believe, but being the same bottom end as a 372 I figured 13500 wouldn't hurt it any it probably doesn't help the power having it turn 1000rpm more I just like it better for limbing. I was also told the 2165and the 365non xt was ported for lower rpm power. I run all husky and jred saws and both have treated me real well!

Andyshine77

All this talk about max RPM really means nothing, the engines needs to be tuned for proper air fuel mixture. The max listed rpm is a general number, every saw will be unique. One saw may run fine at 13,500 rpm, another may be screaming lean. The best way to properly tune a revlimited saw, is in the cut under some load. Warm the saw up, set the High speed needle stupid rich, now start cutting. As you're cutting slowly lean out the high speed needle until the saw just stops four stroking under load.

http://youtu.be/ulY5sU4axFQ   
Andre.

ehp

I have 5 365xt's and everyone of them the fuel line went bad very fast and I put tygon line in and not had a single problem sense , its strange that none of my other husky saws have had a fuel line problem but just the 365xt

David-L

Andyshine, I pretty much tune by ear as i don't own a tach. Never blown a saw up by leaning it out.

David l

coxy

Quote from: David-L on February 09, 2014, 08:50:39 PM
Andyshine, I pretty much tune by ear as i don't own a tach. Never blown a saw up by leaning it out.

David l
x2 on that

missouriboy

I have been looking at a 2166 really hard. Is a 372 worth the extra money.

Andyshine77

Quote from: David-L on February 09, 2014, 08:50:39 PM

David l

That's hard to do with revlimited saws, when the coil cuts in it sounds like four stroking. Many saws have been toasted because of revlimited coils. I tune by tach and ear, however I do prefer tuning by ear. Most new saws have limiting coils, so your best bet is tuning the saw in the cut, no guessing at that point. Their is a first time for everything.
Andre.

Andyshine77

Quote from: missouriboy on February 09, 2014, 09:35:08 PM
I have been looking at a 2166 really hard. Is a 372 worth the extra money.

If it's an Xtorque no. The only difference between the two is a restrictor in the transfers. Remove the restriction and you have yourself a 372.
Andre.

David-L

Andshine77, Could you please explain the rev limiting coils or are they that simple , once they reach a certain output of juice thats it. I always take a dremel and a small screwdriver and get rid of those tabbs on the h/L jets on the carbs if they have them. They are a pain in the butt.

David l

SawTroll

Quote from: David-L on February 09, 2014, 06:33:34 PM
I was told by the dealer that the 2165 was not a 13,500 saw but 12,500 max and more torque than the 2172. ..... 

That was the traditional 65cc 365/2165, not the 365xt/2166 - and the "more torque" statement never was true.
Information collector.

David-L

SawTroll, I have the traditional 2165, If I did set it by a tach to start where would you tach it to.

David l

Andyshine77

Quote from: David-L on February 10, 2014, 06:26:15 AM
SawTroll, I have the traditional 2165, If I did set it by a tach to start where would you tach it to.

David l

12,200 is nice and safe, the book says 12,500

David when it pertains to limited coils, your train of thought is correct. The coil starts cutting signal, which cuts current. If you listen to my video you will hear the saw start out rich, then it will clear up. Now at the end of the video when I lift the saw up to make another cut, you can briefly her the limiter, it sounds sharp tapping like. That saw is ported, so it hits the limiter pretty hard.
Andre.

David-L

Thanks, That is kinda what I thought. I think I might buy a tach at some point soon. Any suggestions.

David l

SawTroll

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 10, 2014, 07:07:31 AM
Quote from: David-L on February 10, 2014, 06:26:15 AM

David l

12,200 is nice and safe, the book says 12,500.  .....

Yes, for a traditional 2165/365.
Information collector.

Spike60

The X-torq saws should only be set @ 13,000; not the 13,500 of the originals.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

SawTroll

Quote from: Spike60 on February 10, 2014, 01:09:40 PM
The X-torq saws should only be set @ 13,000; not the 13,500 of the originals.
Likely good advice, coming from you!  :)
Information collector.

Maine logger88

Well I bought it after work today I'm going to run it stock for the week then if I have time this weekend I'm going to grind the baffles out and maybe do a muffler mod at some point! Do these xt saws like a muffler mod as much as the older saws?

David-L

Mainelogger88 ,What size bar will you be running on that shiny new saw. I have been running a 16" for limbing on the 2165 and it does the job nicely on this pine job I just started.

David l

shawn55

So im clear on my thinking what does everybody mean on grinding the transfers?

Maine logger88

David I'm going to run either a 18 or 20 that is what I run for the most part I have a couple of longer bars that I put on if I have something over 44 inches to cut though. Shawn I'm new to modifying saws but I'll try to explain there's a cover on the 365/2166 xt saws with baffles in them and the 372/2172 do not and that's the only difference between the two

Maine logger88

Here's the transfer port cover which has the baffles on the side of the cylinder

shawn55

So you would have to grind them out then? If that is the only difference between them what do the baffles have to do with the 2172 having more torque? I guess i never looked that hard at my other saw i just got 2166. I normally run with my 570 husky. 

Spike60

Think of it as a restrictor plate as in NASCAR.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

NCFarmboy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 10, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
maybe do a muffler mod at some point! Do these xt saws like a muffler mod as much as the older saws?

Yes they do!  Muffler is the same as the old 365 Special and old  non XT 372.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

missouriboy

Maine logger88  how do you like the new 2166.

Maine logger88

I like it seems to have decent power stock but I am probably going to grind the transfer ports tomorrow so hopefully that will really wake it up

missouriboy

Maine logger88 lets us know how 2166 runs after you grind the baffles.

Maine logger88

missouriboy I ground the baffles this afternoon after work it was very straightforward not hard at all! It seemed to have made a big difference it has a lot more rpms in the cut and I could definitely see a power difference, it even sounded better with no load, the saws not fully broke in yet I am looking forward to seeing how it is after a few more days of cutting! I think it already has more power than my 2171 did!

missouriboy

Got one yesterday and I just had time to make a few cuts today with it and like it.

Maine logger88

Quote from: missouriboy on February 16, 2014, 07:51:32 PM
Got one yesterday and I just had time to make a few cuts today with it and like it.
Nice! Are you going to grind the baffles or leave it stock?

missouriboy

missouriboy

Does anyone have any pics of them grinding the baffles out.

Andyshine77

Andre.

missouriboy

missouriboy

Been running the saw for awhile now and really like it. Cut around 2500 feet of walnut and around 4000 feet of pallet logs and a cord of firewood with it.

Maine logger88

Glad to hear you like it! I love mine aswell it works great real good power!

coxy

just did mine what a difference and also put 1 more base gaskets to rise the port timing  8) 8) 8) 8) I had a 2172 that was shot so I just took them off the old saw

ehp

yes you raised your transfer and ext. port timing but lowered your intake port timing but you lower your compression by doing that . They are the best bang for your buck saw out there period

coxy

forgot to ask when did they go back to 2 rings the last one I did a few years ago was 1 ring

Thank You Sponsors!