iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EAB vs Cold

Started by Cord-n-8R, February 08, 2014, 09:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cord-n-8R

Recently heard that all this extreme cold we've been having could have an effect on the EAB... anyone care to corroborate or speculate on this?

thecfarm

I'm sure no expect. That cold may kill honey bees,something good. But EAB,something bad,may slow them down some,but they will keep boring on the ash trees.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Cord-n-8R

Sorry, guess I should've researched a little more before posting since I just found this;

http://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2014/01/extreme-cold-may-wipe-out-high-percentage-emerald-ash-borer-larvae/

and this;

http://www.hngnews.com/waunakee_tribune/news/regional/article_228a2256-8dea-11e3-86d7-001a4bcf6878.html

... among others.

But still, may make for interesting discussion (?).

BuckeyeAaron

I've read a few articles about the effects of the severe cold on EAB populations (the most legitimate one coming from the University of Minnesota it seems).  My personal opinion is that the cold will have some impact on the populations throughout the Midwest but I seriously doubt it will make any significant impact upon the total loss of Ash throughout the region in the long term.  Infestation levels are simply too large and any impacts will be short-lived and the march will continue on...
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

coxy

have they done any testing on the saplings to see if they will kill them as well when I say saplings I mean like 1-4in  ???

BuckeyeAaron

Quote from: coxy on February 10, 2014, 07:36:09 AM
have they done any testing on the saplings to see if they will kill them as well when I say saplings I mean like 1-4in  ???

I have read, and have seen, saplings down to 1" DBH infested and killed off by EAB.
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

CJennings

I would think you'd have to have cold enough winters to kill them every winter. One cold winter might kill a lot of the EAB off, but if there's several years of warm winters that don't kill them, well, they'd come right back from it. It wouldn't be much different than using chemicals, which have to be used over and over again as the problem comes back. I don't think cold weather will save the ash trees from the EAB, it'll take something like a pathogen or a predator that kills the borers, or some much improved genetics in the trees.

Thank You Sponsors!