iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I couldnt helpelf,,I had to buy it (Marmite)

Started by dail_h, February 08, 2014, 02:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Was in the Kroger Store the other day,, n saw jars of Marmite on the shelf.After hearing so much about it here on the forum,,I had to get a jar to try.Pretty good stuff,,I put tiny amount on a piece of toast,,nice salty,slightly smokey flavor. Be warned though ,,if a little is good,,more is better doesent apply to this stuff. got a bit too much on a coupla spots when folded the toast, the taste was way too strong
Seems to be ony teo camps with marmite,,kinda like grits. eithe you like'em or hate'em(cant imagine anyone not likin grits). For those keeping score,,put me in the like both class ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Ianab

Taylor's mission in life at the moment is to get into everything.

Including the Marmite Jar.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sawguy21

Feds pulled it off the shelves in Canada, apparently something in it that is banned.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jeff

Quote from: sawguy21 on February 08, 2014, 03:03:11 PM
Feds pulled it off the shelves in Canada, apparently something in it that is banned.

Yea, the Taste!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Marmite runs afoul of food regulations in some countries because it contains added vitamins. This puts it into some different category with different regulations, registration and testing needed.

It's also slightly different taste depending on where it's made. UK, NZ or Sth Africa. Vegemite is the Australian version and is slightly different again.

During "Marmageddon", when the Marmite factory was closed after the Christchurch earthquake they imported some UK stuff, and experimented with getting some made in Sth Africa. But it's just not the same. Different yeasts, different water etc.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

TimRB

Quote from: Ianab on February 08, 2014, 04:39:51 PMVegemite is the Australian version and is slightly different again.

Ah--I was wondering about that, because I've never heard of Marmite but I have had Vegemite.  I can confirm that "less" is better than "more".  Zero is best.  It's like making a dry martini by thinking about Vermouth while pouring the gin.

Tim

coxy

ok what is it    how do they make it  where does it come from   and has to be better then grits :D :D 8) 8) 8)

dail_h

Come on guys,,,geee,,where's your sense of adventure????? Try the wild side, lol
Guess it would be sacrilidge to mix marmite n grits,,but imma gonna try it  ;D ;D
      Volume Discount At ER

js2743

With a name like that, one would think it was some kind of Explosive.  :D

luvmexfood

Ianab, just wondering. Do they have grits down your way? 53 years old, live in the south and never tried them. Reckon I can go another few years without. Just don't think I would like them. Do love oatmeal though.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

sawguy21

:D :D A southerner that don't eat grits. Now that is funny.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

QuoteIanab, just wondering. Do they have grits down your way?

Not a common item in these parts. A lot of early NZ settlers where form Scotland though, so oatmeal and porridge are still popular.  :D

I have been told that Marmite and Grits are a good combination though. The problem with grits is that they have no flavour, the problem with marmite is that (some say) it has too much. Mixed together they might be just right?  :D

sawguy21

Grits and marmite ??? I'm not going there. Nosirree, not me. :o

Magicman

Me either.  Ain't gonna mess up my Grits.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Timrb I agree about the dry martini (just finished my second one) a bottle of vermouth lasts me from 6 months to a year.
Which reminds me of a story. Martinis are like breasts on a woman. one is not enough but 3 is too many.
I am a newcomer to this thread, what in the world is Marmite made of?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ianab

QuoteI am a newcomer to this thread, what in the world is Marmite made of?

Brewers yeast.

They basically get the sludge out of the bottom of the brewery tanks, and process/cook it, until it's about the consistency of axle grease  ;) :D

Everything you might need to know about Marmite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Ian

isawlogs

Quote from: thecfarm on February 08, 2014, 03:25:49 PM
Quote from: dail_h on February 08, 2014, 02:44:08 PM
(cant imagine anyone not likin grits)

Imagine no more.  ;D
Just in case the imagination has room for one more .   (g--ts)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks Ianab,
If I ever see it here I will try it and reserve judgement until then on it's pallatability
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

WildDog

I like Promite and Marmite but my favourite is Vegemite.

Hot white toast, real butter and vegemite :) Before bed I have vegemite on Cellery sticks, ( my wife thinks I'm strange).
We substitute beef stock in soups with vegemite. Its also good in a glass of hot water, a bit like Bonox.

Like Jeff's vid dogs love it, all our pups get vegemite toast each morning.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

petefrom bearswamp

Does anyone know where I can get some in the US?
Any of the above stuff.
Pete
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Ianab

dail_h

Got mine at Kroger in Charleston WV. The more I use,,the better I like
      Volume Discount At ER

Thank You Sponsors!