iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

picture of the day.

Started by lynde37avery, February 07, 2014, 09:37:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

my machine  any one help me with the year? i was told when i bought it that it was a 1970. serial # 5885

Detroit WHAT?

coxy

how come a lot of ya run the chains on the back not the front seems it would be hard to steer as in walking with a load on the back

redprospector

Quote from: coxy on February 07, 2014, 10:00:34 PM
how come a lot of ya run the chains on the back not the front seems it would be hard to steer as in walking with a load on the back
I was wondering the same thing.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

loggerboy9325

If you skidding up hill you want chains on the back

treechopper40

I run chains on all 4 tires on both my machines year around my c5 treefarmer has ring chains on the front and ice chains on the back and my 300 case has ice chains on all 4 just makes it so much easier to get around in the woods with all 4 chained up and when your not winching and spinning that makes more production and the chains protect the tires too I worked for a guy that if you had chain of your machine he would not let you run it till it was put back on
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

Maine logger88

I agree with treechopper chains on all four is the only way I'll run either of my machines! Some around here say its hard on them having too much traction but I think its more hard on stuff spinning and hopping around, maybe I'm just too impatient but when I winch a twitch up I want too drive to the yard without having to drop the twitch and winch. I should add that I usually cut pretty rough ground on smooth going it doesn't matter as much
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Maine logger88

Nice looking Franklin BTW do you have anymore pics of her
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

coxy

Quote from: Maine logger88 on February 08, 2014, 06:24:17 PM
I agree with treechopper chains on all four is the only way I'll run either of my machines! Some around here say its hard on them having too much traction but I think its more hard on stuff spinning and hopping around, maybe I'm just too impatient but when I winch a twitch up I want too drive to the yard without having to drop the twitch and winch. I should add that I usually cut pretty rough ground on smooth going it doesn't matter as much
I am the same all 4 chained up    here is some thing to think about if you have only 2 chains then you are changing the gear racio  the chains make the tires bigger and if you have more  tread on them (the ones with chains ) and the ones with out the chains are say almost bald  then you really changing it  ??? ;D

redprospector

Quote from: loggerboy9325 on February 08, 2014, 06:15:28 AM
If you skidding up hill you want chains on the back

Hmm. Ok, I'll buy that. Out here we try to avoid skidding uphill unless absolutely necessary (then it's usually done with a yarder). I know there are places where it is required to skid uphill, so I learned something new.  8)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

loggerboy9325

Also seems like its better to run chains on the back of a grapple skidder also. Our 648 does really well with chains on the back because of the weight distribution of the grapple. We are currently running chains on all 4 tires at the moment on our 540.

lynde37avery

yea i got more pics.

i just have chains on the back i put one on the front on "passenger side" i dont like all 4 chains. too much on the small axles ive been told by the old boys. but it stinks when there is ice so i run 3 in winter and 2 in spring/summer/fall. i broke one planet gear in the front back in aug. all the gears inside the cover were lunched. thing was like blending eggs inside the housing. one grand worth of repairs. so 2 chains is enough for me.
i pull up hill often. doesnt turn too hard with only 2 chains on back.
Detroit WHAT?

POC

My 4x4 35hp tractor had a hard time pulling 2 ricks of firewood in a trailer yesterday. Too much snow. I've been thinking about chains for it too.  All our property is down hill from my house.  The only time it is easy to pull something up out of the bottoms is in July when it is 100 degrees out and dry, then *I* don't work to well!
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

beenthere

Years back I put wood on a trailer to pull up out of the woods (like yours, it is all downhill from the house and shed).
Then I built a carryall platform for the 3 ph and that extra weight was a great assist for woods traction. No more trailer pulling.

But with a good 20" of snow down in the woods now, it will likely be a late spring before going there again.
Too risky to go down now and get stuck, as there are no neighbors equipped to go in and help and the tractor is too important for jobs around the house.  -- getting wood in and keeping the snow plowed.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POC

SERIOUSLY thinking about a carryall for the tractor.  I tried yarding the logs out yesterday, but that didn't work very well either.

If I'm going to be cutting any lumber, I'm going to need someway to get the logs out.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Thank You Sponsors!