iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad valve on 4-53

Started by jd540b, February 07, 2014, 04:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Hey all, I think I have a bent, broken, bad valve in my 4-53.  Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak-but its not leaking.  Talked to a guy I know that is an excellent Detroit mechanic and said thinks its sounds like a valve.  Going to get it up to his shop in a couple weeks.  My question is......am I pushing my luck running it?  Kind of need to keep working ya know?  Posters are coming fast and would like to get couple more weeks in, then put it down.  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

David-L

Think i got the same, Sounds like an exhaust manifold leak but I am not feeling anything like a leak around the manifold and the manifold is tight. I have a 353, it seems to be running and starting fine, not smoking. Maybe tomorrow i will put the stethoscope on and see what I hear. Curious what others think.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treeslayer2003

if its a valve it will make a load sucking noise....they only have exhaust valves.
no I wouldn't run it, if that valve drops into the cylinder it could be bad.
could pull valve cover n check springs.

David-L

Treeslayer, so pull the valve cover , check springs to make sure they are not compromised and if not run it.

David l

treeslayer2003

well that would tell you if a problem with a spring or retainer wich you could maybe fix but it would not tell you if its a broke valve about to drop in on the piston........50/50 chance could just be a seat and I have run them that way a while but it is a risk.

treeslayer2003

what i'm saying guys is it could just be a seat probably but there is a chance its not.

David-L

Thanks Treeslayer, well it isn't smoking, and it is a new sound in the motor so maybe a spring or keeper, bad seat. Guess i will at least check the springs and keepers. With the side body covers off i would think I could do this in an hr?That about right.

David l

treeslayer2003

yeah, depending on how easy it is to get the hood off. David it prolly is a seat but I wouldn't want to advise you to run it with out being there. they usualy smoke raw fuel if its worse.

coxy

I had a bent valve that finely let loose not good new piston sleeve and a head it smashed the valve in the head and cracked it the other parts hit the air ports on the sleeve riped them to shreds if it sounds funny or misses a little pull the head is cheaper to buy a head gasket set then to put the above parts in it ;D ;D

David-L

Going to pull the valve cover and make sure there is no broken springs and the keepers are there. need to finish this job up . Then home it comes. Unless sumpin don't look right. 5 degrees here at current, heat wave.

David l

jd540b

DavidL, did you get to the root of the prob on your motor?  Got the head off mine today, valves are fine, pistons look fine...?  Beats me, will do more digging tomorrow.  Have really good Detroit man helping me on it, we'll see.  Seems like every neat-o thing I try to fix starts with "Hmm, Never seen that before...."

loggah

Check the lobes on the camshaft, Detroits are famous for lobes wearing off the cam, that wiil cause all kinds of issues .
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

David-L

jd540b, bought a valve cover gasket and was about to take the cover off and look. a friend stopped by the landing one day who is quite familiar with Detroits and said he does not here anything that he would be concerned about. He said possibly just basic valve train noise when you jump on it. I have been running it hard for a couple of weeks now and no issues. I am going with it, can't here it when I double up hearing protection.

David l

jd540b

well, got motor torn apart....turns out #1 whomever rebuilt the motor for the previous owner apparently knew nothing about tuning a Detroit.  #rocker arms are toast because they were so far out of alignment from hammering the valves-valves were not opening all the way.  #3 one of the cup plugs on the block came out so the rockers were getting zero oil compounding the problem.  Should have it all back together tomorrow. 

jd540b

Well, back up and running.  What a difference, quiet-smooth, good even power. Glad all it was lack of oil and rocker arms/tune.  -2 here this am glad to have another bit of winter to make up for the downtime. Davidl- if she's ticking, be worth popping cover and checkin/adjusting rockers.  Mine weren't opening all the way..just fyi.

David-L

jd540b, Thanks for the fyi. Yes i need to do this as well as an oil pan gasket. will be an outside mission and waiting for that sunny 30 degree day. we haven't had one of those in a long time but can't be far away now. The mud season hit list is getting longer all the time.

David l

Thank You Sponsors!