iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Birch isn't bad

Started by rimshot, February 06, 2014, 08:35:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimshot

Here are couple pieces of furniture of White Birch I sawed last Summer.  It was very nice to work with and plentiful around these parts

.  A sturdy hardwood to build furniture with.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

stanwelch

Great looking projects, Rimshot. Where in Michigan are you located--UP? I live near Coldwater
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

rimshot

Thanks Stan,

I'm in the Eastern end near Saint Ignace.

rimshot
LT 10 with a 10 h.p. and a converted boat trailer to provide mobility for a once permanent mill.

Magicman

Yes, that Birch is nice and so are the projects.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

rimshot

Thanks Magic and WDH.  I should point out that they are both built for my little 2 year old grand daughter.  Being she's a pipsqueak I had to build them to scale.

rim

Jemclimber

A very fine job with a good looking wood.  The tabletop looks like it's offset on the base, is it just an optical illusion or a planned build?
lt15

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

rimshot

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 07, 2014, 06:56:07 AM
Nice job rimshot  8) 8)
========================
Thanks for all the comments.

The table top is probably not yet fastened in that picture.  I have ,as I recall, four 1 X 6 boards across the table top.  This Birch has been stuck since last Summer and here I am probably a bit less than 6 months building with it.  I have no access to a Kiln dry so I did not want to plant those table top screws just yet.  I expect I will fasten the top more securely with screws after it stays in a heated envoirnment through the Winter.  Wihen I  build  with air dryed stock and fasten a series of boards together across the grain I always expect some shrinkage.  So far so good as nothing noticable just yet.

rim

21incher

Great job. I am sure she will love it. Better build another chair that is a little taller because little girls love to have grandpa join them for their tea parties. I have no way to dry wood either and always stack project wood in my great room that has a woodstove for a couple of weeks before building and it seems to dry fine. The woodworking section of this forum is a great place to post project pics like this.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Birch don't look bad at all. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

5quarter

excellent work! used to be called the poor mans mahogany.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

rimshot

Thanks for the comments and for stopping by.

Guess I did not think of the other forum(woodworkers).   I just wanted to emphasize how nice it is for us to be able to start at the root of these projects right at the source of it all.  I'm talking about how much I appreciate my sawmill and the source of plentiful logs. 

When I decided to build these projects,  I marched right out to my piles of stuck lumber.  But that was the easy part.  Then I stood there staring at all that beautiful lumber.  I had a heck of a time deciding  just which species this project  be constructed of.  I had Ash, Hard Maple and plenty of cedar.

Too bad but make the best of the fact that lumber is just not moving right now.  Maybe it will pickup when this snow goes and we have tons of it just like some of you do also.  I was not going to let it go to waste so It was time to put up or shut up.  This stuff will not go oo waste.

It has been fun and I am thankful.

rim

AK Newbie

Wow really nice job on the furniture projects!  Here in Alaska the only hardwood we have is Birch and I have yet to mill any.  Now after having seen how beautiful you projects came out I will be drying and stickering some soon!  Thanks for sharing the photos.
Kevin
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Thank You Sponsors!