iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on knuckleboom log loaders

Started by Nemologger, February 06, 2014, 08:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Hello Guys, Im thinking about getting a knuckleboom loader and a ground saw setup. Something that is self contained. What are you guys input on these loaders? I would like to find one mounted on a truck, I have seen  them mounted both ways, on trucks or on trailers, Pros and cons? Also what brands are best?
Clean and Sober

smwwoody

I have owned many of them.  mostly Prentice and barko

tell me about what you cut (pine/hardwood) and i can help you out.  also how much do you have to spend

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Nemologger

Hello Woody, I cut logs no pulp, mostly oak, would like to find a pretty good unit with saw for under 30,000-35,000 if that's possible
Clean and Sober

SquareG

I like to back through the landing with tail mounted loader on 10 wheeler, truck has pretty good traction when empty if tail mounted, but roads a little squirrely.  plumbed for slasher but I don't have one.  Hood 7000 it's supposed to be good brand, but they're not as common. Walker machinery in s mo is dealer.

Nemologger

What can I expect to pay for a bar saw slasher? One in pretty good condition.
Clean and Sober

Kemper

I bought my Bucksaw  new for $14,500. It's the best money I've ever spent. If mine was stolen, I'd go out and buy another one the next day, thats how nice it is to have one. I have a Barko 160b, it's in good shape it was new in the early 90s, I paid around 10,000 for it. You will have a hard time finding a used Bucksaw. People don't usually get rid of them, they are hard to break and easy to fix. My knuckle boom on on a trailer.

Quote from: Nemologger on February 08, 2014, 08:12:56 PM
What can I expect to pay for a bar saw slasher? One in pretty good condition.

Nemologger

Id say buying a new saw would be the way to go...where did you get yours? I don't know who sells them.
Clean and Sober

Firewoodjoe

I've ran a few. Truck mount and self propelled. Older Barko Serco  and new 295 magnum barko( nice machine). For production the truck mt is terrible I feel. Jumping in and out ever hour or two to move ahead and two engines to start in the cold. The self propelled is the way to go unless you don't produce a lot. The Serco we had couldn't handle large hardwood. Worked but not for 80-100 cord days. Hope that helps not many ground saws around here. Mostly circular saws

Nemologger

Thanks Firewoodjoe, How did the self propelled loaders move? What was the power source when you would move one?
Clean and Sober

SquareG

sorry, I just realized you're not thinking of log truck.  Mine had quick couplers for the saw, selector valve for saw or loader operation.

SquareG

1270d

some have a hydraulic drive on the carrier

Firewoodjoe

There tandem axle truck frame. Just no engine or body. Hydraulic pump on the tranny. In the loader cab u switch from the saw to the drive and use the same lever to drive it around the landing. Then need a semi tractor to transport on road

Kemper

I got mine from LMI in Tennesee, they have a website if you want to look at saws. Mine is a CSI 4400.

Quote from: Nemologger on February 08, 2014, 08:32:41 PM
Id say buying a new saw would be the way to go...where did you get yours? I don't know who sells them.

Nemologger

Wow those are not as high as I thought they might be...how big of a log will yours cut?
Clean and Sober

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

plasticweld

I have a Barko 160 a that I use with a ground saw when I have room. I have been surprised at the number of jobs I have done l lately with no room to use the ground saw. Mine is trailer mounted which is the only way I would go. On a truck mounted loader moving from one job to the other is a hassle. No loader mounted on a truck will be road worth for long. The advantage of the trailer is you can pile wood on top of and around with out any damage. You manage to smash a truck pretty quickly when trying to stack wood in tight quarters. As for new saws verses old saws I think with the exception of rebuilding the ram that moves the saw up and down I have never touched mine. I have about $15,000 in my set up with the saw. A good table is the trick to getting production out of a saw so  you do not have to ever get out of the loader.

Kemper

If your loader can pick it up it should be able to cut it.

Quote from: Nemologger on February 09, 2014, 01:41:38 AM
Wow those are not as high as I thought they might be...how big of a log will yours cut?

Kemper

I couldn't imagine not using mine. I would head to the house before I didn't. I've had my fill of running up and down the boom cutting up by hand.

Quote from: plasticweld on February 09, 2014, 08:27:45 AM
I have a Barko 160 a that I use with a ground saw when I have room. I have been surprised at the number of jobs I have done l lately with no room to use the ground saw. Mine is trailer mounted which is the only way I would go. On a truck mounted loader moving from one job to the other is a hassle. No loader mounted on a truck will be road worth for long. The advantage of the trailer is you can pile wood on top of and around with out any damage. You manage to smash a truck pretty quickly when trying to stack wood in tight quarters. As for new saws verses old saws I think with the exception of rebuilding the ram that moves the saw up and down I have never touched mine. I have about $15,000 in my set up with the saw. A good table is the trick to getting production out of a saw so  you do not have to ever get out of the loader.

plasticweld

Kemper look at the picture and tell me where you would put it, I am open to suggestions. There is  stream that runs right next to the loader that goes in a c shape around it, the logs are piled up to let the water flow. I am already up against the property line. There is a power line that is just out of sight that keeps me from putting the loader on the other side of the landing. I have found out a log time ago how critical setting up the landing is and while I have 37 years worth of practice I would love to always know for sure that where I put stuff is the best place. I agree with you about the extra up and down, wears me out at the end of the day

Kemper

I understand what you are saying, you have to keep the loader where your trucks can get to, not always easy this time of year. I always try to put mine where the skidder is going to drag to, if the drags are coming in faster than I can process, I have the skidder driver stager his drags on his road so he doesn't over whelm me.

I sure didn't mean my previous post as anytype of a slight.

Quote from: plasticweld on February 10, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
Kemper look at the picture and tell me where you would put it, I am open to suggestions. There is  stream that runs right next to the loader that goes in a c shape around it, the logs are piled up to let the water flow. I am already up against the property line. There is a power line that is just out of sight that keeps me from putting the loader on the other side of the landing. I have found out a log time ago how critical setting up the landing is and while I have 37 years worth of practice I would love to always know for sure that where I put stuff is the best place. I agree with you about the extra up and down, wears me out at the end of the day

Firewoodjoe

That's the down side of tree length. Room. We just don't cut stuff that doe t have room. Can't! Especially when we do 100 cord a day. Small landings require a forwarder :(

Nemologger

Plasticweld...that is a really nice looking set up you have there.
Clean and Sober

tj240

Quote from: Nemologger on February 06, 2014, 08:28:10 PM
Hello Guys, Im thinking about getting a knuckleboom loader and a ground saw setup. Something that is self contained. What are you guys input on these loaders? I would like to find one mounted on a truck, I have seen  them mounted both ways, on trucks or on trailers, Pros and cons? Also what brands are best?
i run the loaders you are looking for all makes are good bar saws are good but i like the circle saw i know tis is an old post but the self propelled are a lot of extra $$ the one i run is on a trailer we move it with a grapple machine or set it with a truck if the landing allows good luck. for the money you want to spend go with a barko, prentice or hood or maybe an older tj
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

tj240

Quote from: plasticweld on February 10, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
i have found the best place to set up is wear the trucks can get to the wood and the  skidder can come to the low side of the saw just in case of trees your loder cant pick up. then where you dont have to handle wood to many times
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Thank You Sponsors!