iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air filter & cover replacement for stihl 440

Started by davefrommd, June 08, 2004, 07:58:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davefrommd

I need to replace the air filter and the orange plastic cover on my stihl 440. I saw bailey's sells an after market air filter replacement kit with new cover and a higher cfm rating but it is listed for the 044 stihl. Does anyone know if this will fit my 440 stihl magnum chainsaw or have any other suggestions.  The cover got cracked and the air filter got bent. Does anyone else carry after market air filters besides baileys. Thanks in advance.  Dave

ksu_chainsaw

the ms440 is the same saw as the 044, just renamed by stihl to match the rest of their equipment lines.  Not sure of any other filters out there, I just use the stihl filters on mine, the oil bath filters i have not had that much luck with- my saws get "borrowed" by the rest of the family and they dont maintain them as good as they should.

Charles

DanManofStihl

No the after market 044 air filter will not fit that 440 I tryed it my self they have two different one.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

OneWithWood

So, Dave, what's the story behind the damaged saw?  What did you run over it with?  Inquiring minds want to know  :D

I also have a 440 magnum so I am interested in the answers you get.  I did put on the dual port muffler and it made a difference.  
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

davefrommd

I was helping my neighbor cut down some tall leaning trees at his sons place. He was using his gas powered rule winch but didn't run it full power because on the previous tree the winch clutch started smoking because of it being overloaded. I guess he figured he'd not run his winch that hard this time. I cut to where the tree should have pulled over and it didn't so I cut just a little more and the tree pulled out taking the saw out of my hands falling where I was cutting. The tree fell on the bar and cracked  the air filter cover. The tree had dug a hole to where there was enough room to keep the chainsaw engine from being damaged as it was still running under the tree. Anyways my neighbor paid for the replacement parts but his son never paid me for cutting down 10 or so tall leaning trees. Anyways I'm getting out of tree cutting for friends. I just basically cut firewood for myself and brother but my neighbor asked for my help. dave

davefrommd

I was wondering where you got your dual port muffler from and how much. thanks..  dave

OneWithWood

I ordered it from the Stihl dealer.  I think it cost about $25.
One With Wood

whitepe

for what it's worth... I just bought a new filter for
my 6 year old 029 and according to the parts counter guy,
it is a different filter than the new MS 290.  

OWW...
Is the dual ported muffler available for the 044 or
just the 440 magnum?
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

incognitive

The 029 filter change was made in '97 with no further change brought about at the time the model number became MS290.  Similarly, it appears as though there were two filter systems available for the 044 since '92, with no changes made there at the time the model number became MS440.  The muffler also remained the same across model number change.  Have your parts guy look up 1128-140-0801 for the muffler cover.

Disclaimer: my information is not the most up-to-date, but it does span the model number changes.

Preston

Try www.madsens1.com they are up to date on the filters for a 044 and 440 on the after market Maxi flow is what i use and love it very much!!
Preston

OneWithWood

Whitpe, I believe the dual port muffler is available for both the 044 and the 440.  I am not sure if it is the same one or not.  Your dealer should know.
One With Wood

incognitive

The part number I gave above is the one you want.

Thank You Sponsors!