iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A sawmill, the Forestry Forum and me. 10 years together.

Started by DR_Buck, February 05, 2014, 10:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Last week when I read Logrite's post about their 10th  anniversary, I was reminded that I also had an anniversary.  :o   On January 30th 2004, I took ownership of my Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25.    8)   That was 10 years ago.   :o

These past 10 years have gone by so fast.  I've met so many great people and learned so much.   I jumped into buying the sawmill with no idea where it would take me or how things would turn out.  Becoming a member and remaining active in this forum is what's made it fun and profitable.    Although I learn something new every day, most of the things I've learned about milling were in my first 3 or 4 years as a sawmill owner.  Some of them I continue to relearn.    :D     This link is to a thread that I updated yearly way back in the beginning.   https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,9655.0.html  If you hadn't followed it you're welcome to go back and read through it.  If you're new to sawmilling I recommend you take a look at it. It could possibly save you some grief or embarrassment.  smiley_thumbsup

Thinking back on the last 10 years and putting aside the 'learned' lessons, I think the social aspects of owning the mill have been and continue to be what I appreciate the most (although the $$ is also appreciated).      I've attended many forestry and sawmill related events such as Wood-Mizer open house days and demos,  several Sawlex & Logging Expo's, four FF Pig Roasts, Wood-Mizer's 25th Anniversary event in Shade Gap PA and a trip out at HQ in Indianapolis for the big one.    8) 8)    Every event was lots of fun, educational and I had the opportunity to meet and socialize with members of this forum.     Each and every one was a great time.   My gallery (https://forestryforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11043) is full of pictures taken at many of these events.  Take some time on one of these cold nights and see if you made it into one of my photos.

Below, in random order are photos from  some of the jobs, events and activities that have made the last 10 years a memorable great 10 years. 

Most memorable job.  Teamed with Dan Shade and GA Boy to take these huge logs off the Ethel Kennedy estate.

First really large logs.  It was 4ยบ that day.  By the time I had the mill set up it was snowing so hard I couldn't see the far end of the mill.

200 year old maple crotch log. Almost go the best of me.

First logs given to me for free because I had a sawmill.

Working with the Boy Scouts on woodworking merit badge.

Logs milled for a school to use in their wood shop class.

Touring DC with Asy and her family.

Over 8000 bf of lumber for customer to build a barn.

Only time I've ever milled Box Elder

Wood-Mizer 25th at Shade gap PA

Large amount of lumber from a tree that came down in his yard amazed the custoner.

One of my 1st sawmill mods.   

A never ending job.  It was cold and raining for two full weekends when I milled here.

Dirty, nasty, frozen hickory.  My first ever logs to saw.  Did I ever mention I hate hickory?

Very highly valuable walnut.  From the front yard of a high dollar estate in the Washington DC suburbs.   The guy planned on selling this because it is Very highly valuable walnut.   :)

First job where customer hired 'day laborers' off a street corner to help.  They didn't speak English.    :D

Because I get so many free logs I saw and kiln dry the good stuff for myself.   But then I run out of room and have to hold 'lumber' yard sales.

Forestry Forum Pig Roast

More of the very highly valuable walnut.

First of 3 trailer loads of free cedar logs.  The guy had them cut and limbed for me.

Only job in 10 years where the sawmill broke down and I couldn't mill until it was fixed.   Had to drive 25 miles to a hardware store to find a v-belt for the alternator.

My display at the woodworking show.  Went mainly to advertise milling service.  Turned out we could hardly unload lumber from the trailer fast enough to keep things stocked. Made a boatload of money and came home with a brand new Powermatic table saw.  smiley_bounce

Sawlex

My visit with Tom

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

SawyerBrown

Absolutely fascinating!  Great post, great pictures, great story of the last 10 years of your life.  All I can say is, Congratulations.  (And I'm so jealous!)  Well done, Sir!   smiley_clapping
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Bill Gaiche

You did great. Life is good and it shows. Now for another 10. bg

thechknhwk

Hilltop366

Chuck White

Great post DR Buck, enjoyed the pics, and Congratulation on the 10 years.

Posts like this one make me think, look at all the great things he'd have missed out on if he hadn't had the sawmill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

A very enjoyable and inspirational post!  Congradulations DR Buck!     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

scsmith42

Awesome post and pix!  Thanks much for taking us along on the journey.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

justallan1

Thanks for the great pictures and descriptions. Congrats on 10 years and lots more to come.

Allan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Good

Very cool post . Congrats on the mill and the Anniversary . The Boy Scouts and the work you do with the school wood shop must be very interesting and rewarding . Congrats . Red
Stihl 211C saw
Massey 135 deisel tractor with a front loader
Can Am 800 max quad
2001 Chev S10 pick me up
Home made log arch

Warbird

Ocklawahaboy

Your post got me thinking about my first year that just ended.  Hope I have half that many highlights by the end of ten.  Good luck on the next 10.

OneWithWood

Wow!  Has it really been 10 years?
Congrats, David and keep it going.  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

loggah

Thats an awesome story!! you did well to document all the things you did, I never took many pictures of what i was doing ,and now my memory could use some reminders !! keep on sawin !! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

ET

Dr. Nice story!  Ive been a FF member now a little over 1 year and have an awful lot to do and learn. Just getting started actually. Hope im ontop of things when my 10 year anniversary pops up!  Congrats and keep sawing.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

samandothers

Really nice post!   Congrats on 10 years!

Recon when I make 10 years here I'll be ...... older!

WmFritz

Happy Anniversery DR Buck.  I enjoyed the pictorial.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

Great post and pictures!
Congratulations and Happy Anniversary.  :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!