iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dish or Direct?? Decision Made.

Started by Magicman, February 05, 2014, 08:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I am with chuck white. I dont think it matters much. Personally we have had direct tv for about 18 years. We had them knock the bill down and I am ok with it again. I dont watch much but wife does.
Man makes plans and God smiles

red oaks lumber

only in america.. you pay to watch t.v. and mostly its commercials. been trying for years to convince my wife to drop t.v all toghether but, she insists on back ground noise. i told her if its background noise your after lets have your mother move in :D
good luck on your choice
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Mooseherder

A local talk radio show had discussion this morning on a growing number of people moving to Digital rabbit ears and away from traditional cable services.  Couple that with streaming media available and you get to watch most everything you want.  They said it averages 200 thousand customers per month and grew to 400 thousand last month.
ESPN by itself adds 5 dollars to the Bill every month.  I never watch ESPN although it's said to have the #1 spot for viewership.  Fox news came in #2 for viewership.
We threatened to leave AT&T uverse because the bill was too high for watching a handful of channels.  They knock 50 dollars per month off your bill if you have everything bundled up for a year.  It's worth the call.  They don't want to lose you back to cable.  That's where we used to be.  It was horrible compared to AT&T.  Most everything we watch is DVR'd.  Life is too short for pill commercials.

ancjr

Parents had Dish for a few years, in a couple different houses.  Friends had DirecTV.  Seems to be a lot of difference in the local installers.  So much so, I'd say that's going to be the make or break between the two.

pappy19

IMHO there is a difference between Dish and Direct TV and I have had both. The new Direct TV setup is far better than the latest Dish and, the Direct company is way better to deal with if you ever do have an issue. That being said, either one is a ton better than Comcast.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

21incher

I have been looking for a big old C band dish that someone wants to get rid of and http://www.skyvision.com/ has receivers that allow you to choose your programing at a much lower cost then Dish or Direct TV. When Direct TV first came out I bought the first receiver they sold for $800.00 and had account #000001 for my area. Back then it sucked before they implemented mpeg-2. but I put up with it for many years.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

RynSmith

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is line of sight - we called Dish first (never had either before) and when their guy came out he found out that we didn't have a view of their satellite.  Not so with DirecTV so we've been scalped by them ever since. ::)

r.man

Red Oaks, if only they made some free audio only product that would be background noise for your wife.....oh yeah radio. I know a lot of people who leave the radio on all the time for the companionship. I was amazed when people in my area started paying for tv. I predicted to anyone who would listen that it wouldn't take off. Unfortunately I am 30 years behind the times and one of the few people who do not have satellite tv. Until recently I got 4 to 5 channels on an aerial and then 1 because of digital and then none. I now have a digital compatible tv but haven't bothered hooking it back up.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

SliverPicker

My vote would be for Neither.  Think of the money you'd save and the time that you could put to constructive use.  I dumped my TV in '87.  I have never missed it!  My 2ยข worth.
Yooper by trade.

luvmexfood

Quote from: blackfoot griz on February 06, 2014, 08:45:17 AM
We had direct for years.  They came out with a special package for new customers.  I called and said I would like that new package. They refused saying it was only for new customers so... I switched to Dish.

Since I switched to Dish, we get all kinds of "we want you back" letters, emails and phone calls from Direct.

I had no technical problems with Direct and a lot with Dish.

Yep. That sort of irks me too. Had the same thing happen with AT&T many years ago. Had been a faithful and loyal customer for over 10 years with their long distance service.  They came out with a program for people who would switch from another carrier. Called them and asked for that rate. Could not get it because it was only for "new customers". Told them had been a loyal customer for over 10 years and some "johnny come lately" gets a better rate than me. Ditched them. Now I think more companies have flexibility in their rate structure.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Mooseherder

When I got home tonight there was a 20 dollar gift card from ATT thanking us for being loyal customers.

DanG

Lynn, if you go with Dish, let another Dish customer refer you.  That way each of you gets a $50 credit on your bill. I'll be glad to help you out on that if nobody else does.  ;) ;D

What I don't like about Satellite or cable is that I miss out on a lot of local channels.  I'm stuck with Dish for 2 years but thinking of putting up an antenna also.  When they went digital on broadcast tv, we gained a whole bunch of channels and actually found more watchable programs than we find on Dish.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Thanks everyone for your input.

And thanks DanG.  If I do, I will.  Our Son has Direct and they may also have an incentive. 

We have an antenna and booster at the Cabin and easily pick up all 4 networks plus PBS, and the "free" price ain't bad.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POC

I had Direct for years, then the new wife wanted to get Glen Beck, Blaze TV is only available through Dish.  So, if you want to get The Blaze, go with Dish.
That's all I got....
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

reswire

The better business bureau gives Direct tv a F-, and Dish a B-.  Direct TV is also being sued by several states because of their business practices.  I switched from Direct tv to Dish because of the terrible service Direct TV provided me.  The bill was always different, and the people who worked for them were nice, but didn't have a clue of what they were doing.  I like Dish 10x more than Direct. 
Just my 2cents worth.
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

beenthere

I've heard stories about Directv, but have never had bad service from them.
No problem reaching/seeing their satellite, but would have concern about switching to Dish.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pappy19

Funny, I had the same problem with Dish, they wouldn't help me with my complaints and their upgrades weren't nearly as good as Direct, so I switched to Direct and couldn't be happier. As far as local TV stations are concerned, both companies have local stations available. They both have incentives if you switch and refer to another user, just have their account number. Direct gives $10 off both the new user and ther referer for every referal. I guess it's sorta like owning a Chebby or a Ford with a Dodge mixed in, it's whatever you like and I like Direct over Dish.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Wick

I have had Direct for @ 14 yrs. Very few problems in that time.
In my area there seems to be a good ratio of Dish/Direct. From what I here both are fine.
I have been thinking about switching and taking advantage of the promotional deals as well.
I could upgrade my equipment, get HD, and a DVR recorder and pay alot less money for a years time.
Haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Timber Harvester 30HT25

Magicman

As of right now it appears that the cable company wants me to stay with them.  We shall see.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The best satellite service was C-band, could pick and pay for only what you wanted and was very cheap. There were lots of free channels to. When that all ended I never bothered with digital satellite, nothing on it much and too many repeated channels here in Canada. Now CBC analog turned digital, and no new tower, so that is no longer available. Don't miss it, it's government run and not much of anything worthy on it. I have the good old rabbit ears and get 6 channels including local weather. Most of the time if I watch TV it's a DVD and much time is spent on the forestry forum and a couple other special interest forums, way better than any TV. When I run out of forum stuff to entertain myself, I have lots of hobbies or it's time to have a sleep or eat something. :D There is just a lot of 'stuff' on those pay TV services now that bore me too death. Can't get into it at all.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I can't remember a time when there was so many interesting shows and programming as there is right now. :)
My DVR is getting a workout.

SwampDonkey

Everyone has their own tastes.  A lot of new stuff is just reincarnated and copied off more successful old stuff. Then there's the reality stuff I can't stand. I'd rather watch cold molasses run out from the jug. So again everyone has their own tastes. :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

I have very little patience with TV programming, but I think that I would enjoy some Outdoor/Sportsman channels.

fat olde elf

Just had to jump in here.....We went with  TW cable 16 years ago. Cost us $300 to get it on our property. Stayed with it for 6 years. Lots of down time especially when raining hard and windy. Got direct TV and have had excellent service.  Today we had  no signal. I checked the dish and it was covered with ice and snow. DUH !  My wife called me stupid for getting the big ladder out and crawling up....HOWEVER 2 swipes with the broom and shazam !! We have every possible gadget for electronic communication on 4 tvs,2 pcs, Ruko, Wifi,Kindle fire, 2 cell phones, land line with 5 sets, Net flix, ad infitum...Bonnie just celebrated her 78th birthday last week and she pays all the bills. Don' tell me you can't teach two old dogs new tricks. Can't wait to see what is next......Say your prayers.     
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

Qweaver

I have Direct, my daughter had Dish and she says Direct is better.  Both are too dang expensive but I like the sports coverage so I pay the bill.  I really like the ability to record programs and replay when I like and fast forward  thru the commercials.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Thank You Sponsors!