iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

axe recomendations

Started by Redbark, February 05, 2014, 05:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryguy777

i agree i think a Collins axe would be your best bet, just since a hand forged axe will cost hundreds and it would be a shame if it hit a rock or something when using it... the problem with that nice of tools is you barely want to use them and harm there perfection ... that's how I feel anyways

M_S_S

I pack a boys axe, 21/2 lb, think it is a Collins, not sure I have had it for years lol. Like Redprospector said if you pack it on you you won't loose it. I have a loop on the back of my belt. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: John Mc on February 10, 2014, 05:13:37 PM
I use a Stihl PA 20 splitting hatchet, which has about a 20" handle and a 2.75# head.  This is not the outcome of any lengthy research, it's just what I could easily find when I lost my previous Axe.

I had switched to a stubby little hammer with a 4 pound head. I figured the weight would help when driving wedges. As it turned out, it was just too short, so it took a lot more arm power to drive the wedge.  I didn't want to go to a full length axe, since I wanted something easy to carry and to fit in my felling job box. The PA 20 fit the bill. Long enough to be able to get a decent swing with it, but short enough to be easy to carry, and the back side of the head seems to have enough meat on it to handle wedge pounding without distorting the eye.

I tied about 18" of yellow surveyor's tape to the handle to avoid misplacing it. I still lose it enough that I end up using a club cut from a limb a good bit of the time.
Thank you John Mc. I've been looking for an axe exactly like that. Sounds perfect size for carrying in a Grizzly back scabdard when felling. I've been looking every where for an axe and never thought to look at the Stihl offerings. Forestry Forum is still the best!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Old Greenhorn

I am pretty sure you know that it is a 5 year old thread you've responded to, But I am tagging @John Mc just so he might see it.
 That ax looks and awful lot like the rafting (type) ax I just built up for myself 2 weeks ago. Good luck with it, I like mine.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

lxskllr

Since you're tagging John, I'll go ahead and give him my suggestion of drilling a hole in the handle, and putting some bright paracord through it. Might make it easier to find.

John Mc

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on October 25, 2019, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: John Mc on February 10, 2014, 05:13:37 PM
I use a Stihl PA 20 splitting hatchet, which has about a 20" handle and a 2.75# head.  This is not the outcome of any lengthy research, it's just what I could easily find when I lost my previous Axe.

I had switched to a stubby little hammer with a 4 pound head. I figured the weight would help when driving wedges. As it turned out, it was just too short, so it took a lot more arm power to drive the wedge.  I didn't want to go to a full length axe, since I wanted something easy to carry and to fit in my felling job box. The PA 20 fit the bill. Long enough to be able to get a decent swing with it, but short enough to be easy to carry, and the back side of the head seems to have enough meat on it to handle wedge pounding without distorting the eye.

I tied about 18" of yellow surveyor's tape to the handle to avoid misplacing it. I still lose it enough that I end up using a club cut from a limb a good bit of the time.
Thank you John Mc. I've been looking for an axe exactly like that. Sounds perfect size for carrying in a Grizzly back scabdard when felling. I've been looking every where for an axe and never thought to look at the Stihl offerings. Forestry Forum is still the best!
Grizzly Peak actually makes a scabbard specifically for this Stihl hatchet. I bought one and wear it on the back of my tool belt when felling. It has completely solved my lost axe problem.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

I don't think I saw that one on their site, but good to know. I just got a new one the beginning of the week fr the new ax. Love their stuff, simple and it works just perfect. I would like to quiet it down a little, but it doesn't bother me enough to make it up to the 'to-do' list. 
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

John Mc

Grizzly Peak scabbard for Stihl Splitting Hatchet

If you go to their "Shop" menu and click on Axe Scabbards, you'll see about a dozen different sizes they make.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, I went and checked after I posted. Should have looked first. ;D
 Anyway, I like their stuff. Have one for my smaller ax, but it wouldn't go with the bigger one. I also ordered a belt from them this time, should have done that a year ago too.

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on October 25, 2019, 07:36:51 PM
I am pretty sure you know that it is a 5 year old thread you've responded to, But I am tagging @John Mc just so he might see it.
That ax looks and awful lot like the rafting (type) ax I just built up for myself 2 weeks ago. Good luck with it, I like mine.
Nice. Thank you for tagging John.   ;D
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Thank You Sponsors!