The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: axe recomendations  (Read 7296 times)

Offline elk42

Re: axe recomendations
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 09:36:46 am »
 Magicman
 Good tip, I like that.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Offline trapper

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:00 am »
I need one of those things on my axe like what makes your car "chirp" when you hit the remote door lock.

I don't know why it's just axes.  I don't lose wedges, gloves, stump vises or any other tools.

Axes cost more than the other tools you mentioned
stihl ms241cm ms290  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Offline 36 coupe

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 07:08:13 am »
I use a 2.5 pound boys axe most of the time.My 3.5 pound axe is better for limbing.I have a double bit axe my dad used.I dont like the narrow polled custom made axes or their high prices.My axe heads get a coat of orange paint.Same for chains, put in a coil and spray with orange paint.There are some very high priced axes with fancy paint jobs being sold.You dont want paint on a wooden handle.My Uncle Bud gave me his axe when I moved to Maine 45 years ago.Find an old axe that hasnt been abused, put a new handle on it.

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2014, 08:12:58 am »
I like your reflective tape idea, MagicMan.  I'll have to add some of that

My idea with the 18" of surveyor's tape tied on was that if the axe sank into the snow, the end of the tape might still show (not a problem I'd guess you have too often in MS). The problem is, I probably need something a bit more durable.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline Ryan D

• Long View Forestry
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »
I worked with a guy once who painted his axe with pink and blue stripes. Neither color is common in the woods and he found that having more than one color really made it stand out.

Right now I use a Fiskars X15 and like it. If we aren't cutting very big wood I just carry a Stihl felling lever. Not ideal for pounding wedges but works ok if your not wedging many over in a day.

Offline logstomper

• I'm new!
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2014, 08:43:05 pm »
I've always been partial to the estwing hatchets, and hammers. They drive wedges better than any traditional hatchets you can find around here. Typically don't even have to hit hard they just drive good.  I know estwing makes larger ones also if you can find it. Always wanted to try the fiskars one. I have a small one from a big game cleaning kit it comes in handy for kiddlin And emergency needs.

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2014, 10:20:23 pm »
I carried a 5 lb. Collins when I was falling timber. I had that axe for almost 20 years, until I let one of my cutters use it when he lost his. He got a DWI that weekend and lost his truck, my axe, a pair of my chaps, my log tape, and a good tin hard had. The cops were pretty narrow minded, I never got any of my stuff back.  :(
I usually carry a 3 lb. axe now, since I'm not cutting many big trees.
The trick to not loosing axes is to carry them on your person, and not leave them laying around in the woods.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline Quebecnewf

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2014, 07:05:41 pm »
I don't use an axe in the woods per say. I log in the winter and cut most (if not all ) my limbs with the saw.

My logging belt contains. My logging tape , a hammer sling that holds my pulp hook , and a pouch with my chainsaw tools and thats it.

Would like to carry a axe but seems a bit of a bother no more than I would use it.
I do have an axe on my snowmobile at all times and would not leave home without it.
Quebecnewf

Offline John Mc

• Senior Member x2
  • NH TC33D w/ forestry mods, Uniforest 35E winch
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »
The times I actually use the bit end of my axe are few and far between. I generally only use it for driving wedges.  Some elbow problems got me away from always using a club cut from a limb (though I still do it at times)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Offline redprospector

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
I've tried the club thing on wedges a couple of times. It felt like I was getting beat about as bad as the wedges. I don't understand how directional falling can be done without wedges (and in my case an axe).
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Offline ryguy777

• Full Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2014, 10:50:56 am »
i agree i think a Collins axe would be your best bet, just since a hand forged axe will cost hundreds and it would be a shame if it hit a rock or something when using it... the problem with that nice of tools is you barely want to use them and harm there perfection ... that's how I feel anyways

Offline M_S_S

• I'm new!
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2014, 11:34:07 am »
I pack a boys axe, 21/2 lb, think it is a Collins, not sure I have had it for years lol. Like Redprospector said if you pack it on you you won't loose it. I have a loop on the back of my belt. ED
2- 562xp 24"bar
         576xp 28"bar
         385xp 28" and 32" bars
         25 ton Speeco
         6600 Ford
         02 Dodge diesel
         73 Ford 250