iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sketchup

Started by steve marek, February 17, 2014, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve marek

I was wondering if anybody could help me out where I could down load sketchup for timber framing is there a  site where you can buy the program. Will it figure out what size timber you need to build a building? Is there a big learning curve is it user friendly.
                                                                                                        thanks steve
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

VictorH

Hi Steve
The standard sketch-up is free.  I have heard that the rubies used for the joints are now included in the library but am not sure of this.  It does not calculate the size of timbers you need.  there are a a lot of variable that determine the size you need- some of them are > snow load, roof material weight or load, type of structure, barn or house or business, and wood type.  It is not that hard to use or to learn to use. There are a lot of tutorial videos on youtube.

Victor

witterbound

If you're a computer person, then you can learn to use sketch up to design a frame.  It does take time.  I work in an office and use my puter for excel and word processing.  I learned to use sketch up and the rubies in a few weeks, spending many hours each day.  It does not design or size anything.  It draws what you tell it to. It is a wonderful way for those of us who don't have the time to learn autocad to draw with a computer.

bigshow

witterbound,

would it be fair to assume you were messing around with sketchup while you should've been tending to your spreadsheets and docs at work? :)
I never try anything, I just do it.

bmike

You can download a free version.  The TF Rubies are an add on extension and can be found in the Extension Warehouse. They have more to do with a specific way of detailing timber frame joinery than with designing frames and buildings and are not needed to get started (and I would suggest you learn how to use the program before even attempting to use them).

I do not use them in my daily work, but they do help you speed up work for certain types of production detailing.

Mike Beganyi Design and Consulting, LLC
www.mikebeganyi.com

Jim_Rogers

Understanding what size timber to draw may take some education.
Software can only out put what you want if you know what to input. Garbage in, garbage out.
If you read this thread:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,50714.0.html

you will see how we went step by step looking at the loads a timber will carry and how to figure out what size to use.

You could try and follow along on this and see how it goes for you.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

witterbound

Quote from: bigshow on February 18, 2014, 08:31:07 AM
witterbound,

would it be fair to assume you were messing around with sketchup while you should've been tending to your spreadsheets and docs at work? :)

Might be right, but I'm not 'mittin' anything....  :)

steve marek

Thankyou for feed back check on y-tube looks like it should not be to bad lots to learn I downloaded it from the internet I'll sure I will have ? thanks again for in put
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Thank You Sponsors!