iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl .058 chain?

Started by MNBobcat, February 04, 2014, 09:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

So I'm wanting to try a Stihl semi-chisel chain to compare to my Oregon.  In looking on Stihl's site at the chain selector guide, they mention a .058 chain but only seem to show a part number for the low kickback. 

I need a 3/8 pitch, .058 in 20" length.  Anyone know a part number? 

I can't believe they only have .050 and .063 and all they have in .058 is the low kickback chains.  I'm looking for a durable, aggressive cutting chain. 

sawguy21

That is because Stihl does not use .058 on their products and they only sell to their dealers. The other chain manufacturers are not so picky.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Andyshine77

Andre.

SawTroll

Quote from: Andyshine77 on February 05, 2014, 02:46:49 AM
Stihl does in fact offer RS 3/8 in .058 and RM in 3/8 .058
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rs/
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/rm/

Yes, most of the more popular .325 and 3/8" models are availiable in .058 - but often it is special order, as the dealers and even distributers doesn't stock it.
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Chain gauge seems to be what is popular within certain regions .

bandmiller2

Chain gauge is a royal pain in the butt, thought I had a 68 dl chain for my 18" bar,  it was 063 gauge and no fitsy on the 058. I keep saying I'am going to standardize but then get a deal or another saw. If your young and smart just have one gauge. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

SawTroll

Quote from: bandmiller2 on February 05, 2014, 07:17:18 AM
Chain gauge is a royal pain in the butt, thought I had a 68 dl chain for my 18" bar,  it was 063 gauge and no fitsy on the 058. I keep saying I'am going to standardize but then get a deal or another saw. If your young and smart just have one gauge. Frank C.

:) That is not likely to last long without sacrifises, so it may be better to just get organized, so you know what is what.....
Information collector.

Al_Smith

Well yeah if you are only dealing with a couple saws .Get about 40- 50 some time .Lawdy you can end up with stuff from 1/4" up to 3/4" .Gauges from .043 up to whatever odd size a Mall planer chain is .

You rat hole some of that odd ball stuff then when you need it can't be found .I'm tellin ya being a junk yard dawg isn't all that easy . :D

MNBobcat

I'm trying to figure out the part  number so that I can call around and see if anyone has it.  So far it looks like it might be a 35RM-72 but all I see listed is 35RMC-72 which is the "comfort" chain (which makes me think it won't work as well).

SawTroll

Quote from: MNBobcat on February 05, 2014, 09:13:07 AM
I'm trying to figure out the part  number so that I can call around and see if anyone has it.  So far it looks like it might be a 35RM-72 but all I see listed is 35RMC-72 which is the "comfort" chain (which makes me think it won't work as well).
35 is correct for 3/8" .058.

The current RM chain is the same chain as RMC, just a change in the model designation.

There was another RM chain that was a little different (no low-vibe feature) up to roughly 2005 though.
Information collector.

MNBobcat

Thanks SawTroll.  I'll give it a try.  I've been running full chisel and want to try the semi-chisel on this really hard, dense, maple I'm cutting.

MNBobcat

As it turns out nobody in the area carries it.  I'd have to order it.

Thank You Sponsors!